Video magazines are a series of online videos that follow the print magazine format in which the reader/viewer consumes an issue on a periodic basis. Video magazines differ from traditional online magazine or ezine because they are delivered in a video format and are consumed through viewing online rather than reading online material.
Originally video magazines were used primarily used as a marketing tool in which a company engages their online database with interview-style informational video. Century 21 Realty Group in Indianapolis, IN first used the format in April 2006.
Whilst many print magazines mirrored their content on digital video platforms, it wasn't until 2016 and 2017 that a series of new video magazines started emerging utilising modern technology to create exciting content that existed and was made for video and a digital audience.
Pure video magazines
These magazines exist purely in video format and only online, without a print counterpart to support it.
Augmented reality video magazines
Augmented reality video magazines have a print counterpart to support it. Using apps such as layar and that blends the offline with the online.
The first example of this was GUAP magazine which started life a crowd funding project. The magazines uses an app called Layar to make their content interactive, linking to video content elsewhere.
The Exposed is similar to GUAP but instead of using a third party app to link to its video content, The Exposed has its own native app under the same name. This app blends the offline with the online.
- "Jon DiGregory">Interview with Jon DiGregory (July 24, 2008). Founder, Cantaloupe TV.
- "Tom Tom mag, Our digital issue is out now" (March 20, 2017) http://tomtommag.com/2017/03/our-digital-issue-is-out/
- "Interview with Jough McLeod, Editor-in-Chief, EWE Zine" (April 10, 2017) http://magculture.com/jough-mcleod-editor-in-chief-ewe/
- "Four excellent magazine events happening in London" (March 20, 2017) https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/four-excellent-magazine-events-happening-in-london-032017
- "The Exposed app" http://www.the-exposed.com/app/
- "The Exposed review" (January, 2017) http://www.stackmagazines.com/the-magazines/the-exposed/