|Directed by||Adoor Gopalakrishnan|
|Produced by||K. Ravindran Nair|
|Screenplay by||Adoor Gopalakrishnan|
|Based on||Bhaskara Pattelarum Ente Jeevithavum by Zacharia|
M. R. Gopakumar
|Music by||Vijaya Bhaskar|
|Cinematography||Mankada Ravi Varma|
|Edited by||M. Mani|
Vidheyan (English: The Servile) is a 1993 Indian Malayalam film directed and written by Adoor Gopalakrishnan. It is a cinematic adaptation of the novella Bhaskara Pattelarum Ente Jeevithavum by Malayalam writer Zacharia. The film explores the master-slave dialectic in a South Karnataka setting. Mammootty plays the lead role in the film, who received several accolades for his work.
Thommy, a Christian migrant labourer from Kerala is an obedient slave of his aggressive, tyrannical landlord Bhaskara Pattelar. Thommy obeys all the orders of his master, whether it is to make his own wife sexually available to his master or in killing Pattelar's kindly wife, Saroja. When Pattelar escapes to a jungle, due to his own deeds, Thommy escorts him like a pet. But when Pattelar is killed Thommy exults in freedom.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (December 2015)|
- Mammootty as Bhaskara Patelar
- Tanvi Azmi as Bhaskara Patelar's Wife
- M. R. Gopakumar as Thommy
- Sabitha Anand as Thommy's Wife
- Babu Namboothiri
- Prof. K V Thampi
- Krishnan Kutty Nair
The film is a cinematic adaptation of the novel Bhaskara Pattelarum Ente Jeevithavum by Malayalam writer Paul Zacharia. Zacharia's novella was inspired by a real-life character named Patela Shekhara Gowda alias Shiradi Shekhara. Zacharia happened to hear the stories of Patelar when he was residing near Shiradi village Mangalore in Karnataka. After the release of the film, Adoor had a tiff with Zacharia over the film. Zachariah said Adoor tainted his story with Hindutva.
- Best Film - K. Raveendran Nair (producer), Adoor Gopalakrishnan (director)
- Best Director - Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- Best Actor - Mammootty
- Best Story - Paul Zacharia
- Best Screenplay - Adoor Gopalakrishnan
- Other awards
- NETPAC Award at the Rotterdam International Film Festival
- Interfilm Award - Honourable Mention at the Mannheim-Heidelberg International Film Festival
- Feature FIPRESCI and Special Jury Prize, Singapore
- "പട്ടേലർ എന്നൊരു സത്യം" (in Malayalam). Malayala Manorama. March 27, 2011.
- Gowri Ramnarayan (September 24 – October 07, 2005). "A constant process of discovery". Frontline. Retrieved April 9, 2011. Check date values in:
- "Kerala State Film Awards: 1993". Kerala State Chalachitra Academy. Retrieved 2011-01-31.