Vidura College, Nawala
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Vidura College – Colombo|
|Primary – Nawala, The Campus – Thalawathugoda
|Type||English medium school|
|Motto||Oneself is one's own protector|
|Colour(s)||Blue and Silver|
Vidura College was inaugurated on 27 January 1999, as a primary school, with the enrollment of six students to the Nursery and Grade 1 classes. Today the college conducts classes up to G.C.E. (Advanced Level) Examination, with a student population of over 2,700. Vidura is a test preparation center for GCE (Ordinary level and Advanced level) examinations – Dept. of Emaninations, Sri Lanka, University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, UK (English for Speakers of Other Languages), Sri Lanka Festival of Music, Dance & Speech (IIMSD)
The college logo symbolizes the goals envisaged by its founders:
- Lotus buds symbolizes the students of Vidura
- The Lamp symbolizes the knowledge imparted to the student
- The Flame symbolizes the radiance of the student on graduation
- The Pot symbolizes the fullness of personality developed
- The Diamond symbolizes the part played by Vidura in making its work shine with brightness
The name "Vidura" means "vajra" ("the diamond").
The school motto, "Oneself is one's own protector" was inspired by a saying of the Lord Buddha.
The School is divided into five sections:
- Nursery School – Infant Group, Play Group and Reception
- Primary School – Grades 1 – 5
- Lower Secondary School – Grades 6 – 8
- Upper Secondary School – Grades 9 – 11
- High School – Grades 12 -13
After completing Grade 11 students sit the G.C.E. (Ordinary Level) Examination, Sri Lanka, as private candidates. Students proceeding further sit the G.C.E (Advanced Level) Examination, Sri Lanka after completing Grade 13.
Sports activities include:
Badminton and swimming are conducted at hired facilities at Nawala and Nugegoda.