Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi
0 / 234
Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (translation: Liberation Panther Party; abbr. VCK) is a Dravidian Tamil Nationalist political party in Tamil Nadu, India. Its chairman is Thol. Thirumavalavan, a lawyer from Chennai. The party's main principle is the abolition of the Hindu caste system and the institution of equality among Tamil people. The political party believes that true social equality lies in the unification of scheduled castes and scheduled tribes, Other Backward Classes, and minorities such as the Christians and Muslims of Tamil Nadu. The Party is against capitalism, caste domination, and Brahminism. The party also functions in Andhra Pradesh and Kerala in addition to Tamil Nadu.
The party was formed in 1988 in Madurai as a counter to Brahminism, caste domination, and caste-based violence on socially and economically weaker sections of society. The party derives its principles from B. R. Ambedkar, a social activist who campaigned against social discrimination in India, and Periyar E. V. Ramasamy, the founder of the Dravidian Movement and K. Kamaraj,popularly known as people's chief minister of Tamil Nadu. The party's main principles are empowerment of socially and economically weaker sections of the society, bringing equality among Tamil people, and fighting against the caste system of Hinduism. It was formerly a part of the erstwhile Dalit Panthers of India Tamil Nadu unit.
The main aim of the party is to abolish the differences among Tamil people and to lift up the economically weaker sections of society. The party supported the freedom movement of Tamil people in Tamil Eelam, as well as the security of Tamil people living abroad.The party also declared that Mahinda Rajapaksa should be charged with war crimes for the alleged assassination of thousands of innocent Tamil people during war against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam. In the Parliament of India in May 2012, Thirumavalavan joined other leaders and raised issue of the Ambedkar cartoon, sparking a controversy in Parliament.
Ahead of the 2016 Tamil Nadu Assembly elections, Thirumavalavan stated his willingness to form a coalition with any party apart from the DMK, AIADMK, BJP and PMK.
Campaign against TASMAC
Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Party is one among the parties along with Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam and Paataali Makkal katchi which Campaigned against government liquor shops of Tamil Nadu popularly known as TASMAC. Though High court of Chennai declared that it cannot interfere into government policy decisions VCK party held many demonstrations against Liquor shops. In some areas party cadres were arrested by Tamil Nadu police for launching attack on Government liquor shops. Tamil Nadu is one of the few states in India were Liquor shops are owned by state government, and one of the states were major income is drawn from selling alcoholic drugs.
Gandhian Principle Propaganda
In the year 2015, Gandhian activist Sasi Perumal's death triggered violence across Tamil Nadu. VCK party demanded immediate closure of Liquor shops along with MDMK,PMK and Communist parties.Party cadres protested against Tamil Nadu government and demanded to make Tamil Nadu an alcohol free state. A folk singer Kovan (singer) was arrested by Tamil Nadu police for publishing song against Tamil Nadu liquor shops.He was booked under Anti national activities act,since protest against liquor shops can be treated as protest against state government because selling liquor is state government's policy decision. VCK demanded immediate release of folk singer kovan, but the demand went in vain.
Tamil Fishermen issue
There exists a long time issue for Tamil fishermen who used to do fishing along the international sea border between India and Sri Lanka. It is alleged that Tamil fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan navy frequently. Sometime it is reported that Sri Lankan navy men opening fire on Tamil fishermen and damaging their boats. This issue also having some relation with the fight between Sri Lankan Tamils and Singhalese people.Sri Lankan navy is arguing that the Tamil fishermen are crossing the international border most of the time and so it is unavoidable to arrest them to prevent illegal entry into SriLankan waters. Sri Lankan government is also claiming that weapon transaction for LTTE is happening along the International sea borders.VCK party is demanding protection for Tamil fishermen  who is fishing near the borders and demanded highly sophisticated instruments to fishermen to help them in navigation and to indicate the international borders.The Demand for arming Tamil fishermen put forward by VCK chairman Thol.Thirumavalavan in the parliament of India  received heavy criticism by politicians across the country.
Tamil eelam issue
VCK party along with DMK,DK,NTK formed TESO Tamil Eelam Supporters Organization and demonstrated protests demanding credential probe into war time crimes against Sri Lankan government during the War between LTTE and Sri Lankan government. It is alleged that thousands of innocent Tamil people were brutally tortured and murdered during the war. Many countries in the world raised complaint against Sri Lankan government in United Nations International Criminal Court of justice.VCK party demanded that Former Sri Lankan President Rajapakse should be charged with war crimes. Many of party men were arrested by Tamil Nadu police for creating public discomfort during protest against Sri Lankan government.The party is heavily criticised for supporting LTTE and its leader Prabaharan since LLTE is banned in India.
Jallikattu Ban Issue
Jallikattu also known as "Manju virattu" a popular sport or a tradition or a ritual or a custom of Tamil speaking people celebrated on the Tamil month "Thai" (January) along with Pongal celebrations. From ancient days on these festival youths try to tame the bulls and who won in the game will get expensive prizes. In recent past this traditional game became popular again because of a controversy raised by Animal Welfare Board of Government of India. An American-based Animal Welfare Forum petitioned Animal Welfare Board of India to Ban Year old Jallikattu stating that in this sport Bulls are tortured. Supreme Court of India also ordered Ban on Jallikattu. Many political parties in Tamil Nadu including VCK,MDMK,PMK,Naam Tamilar Katchi, Samathuva Makkal Katchi raised their voices against Jallikattu Ban. VCK party chairman Thol.Thirumavalavan announced that despite of Supreme court ban, Jallikattu will be celebrated by his party men. It is alleged that in many areas of Tamil Nadu jallikattu were conducted secretly.
People welfare front
The party formed coalition with MDMK,CPI,CPI(M) to contest in Tamil Nadu 2016 general assembly elections.People's Welfare Front stated it's willingness to join hands of any parties other than DMK,ADMK,BJP,INC for the development of state and prohibition of Liquor.
The Political party is accused of extra promoting Tamil nationalism and supporting Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam  which is banned in India. Although major Tamil political parties DMK and ADMK both are accused for indirectly supporting LTTE, VCK is accused of supporting LTTE leader Prabakaran openly in its party posters. It is alleged that LTTE involved in the assassination of Former Indian prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.VCK Party is demanding release of the Rajiv Gandhi murder accusers along with major Tamil parties like NTK,MDMK,PMK,SMK,AIADMK and DMK.VCK Party also celebrated the birth day of Slain LTTE Leader Prabakaran along with other Tamil parties. VCK Chairman is accused by Mahinda Rajapakse, Sri Lankan president for supporting LTTE.
- "Tamil Nationalism and VCK".
- "Tamil Nationalism Movement".
- "Conversion weakens our nos., says TN's dalit face Thol Thirumavalavan".
- "VCK and welfare of different sections of Tamil society".
- "VCK against caste differences prevailing in Tamil society".
- "Ambedkar cartoon issue and VCK".
- "Baba saheb's conrtoon controversy in parliament of India".
- Akshaya Nath (2015-05-06). "Tamil Nadu: Will Thirumavalavan be able to form coalition government in the state?". Saddahaq. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- "Thirumavazhavan asking state government to close liquor shops".
- "TASMAC protest in Tamil Nadu".
- "VCK protest against TASMAC".
- "High court denies to interfere into Govt policy decision on TASMAC issue".
- "VCK cadres attack on TASMAC".
- "Anti Liquor demonstration turns violent".
- "Violent agitations against TASMAC".
- "Gandhian activist Sasiperumal death controversy and his fight against liquor".
- "Sasiperumal death controversy and VCK".
- "CK Chief demands compensation for Kovan's death".
- "Sasiperumal death and anti liquor mission".
- "Kovan's song against TASMAC and VCK Chief's stance".
- "VCK Chief demands release of Tamil Fishermen".
- "VCK Chief demanding protection for Tamil fishermen".
- "VCK's stance on Tamil fishermen issue".
- "Tamil fishermen issue in International sea borders".
- "Arming Tamil fishermen demand by Thol.Thirumavazhavan, Lok sabha MP".
- "TESO and VCK".
- "TESO and Srilankan Issue".
- "TESO and Tamil EELAM".
- "VCK Chief announcement regarding Rajapakse's alleged war crimes against Tamil people".
- "Sri Lankan War crimes during war against LTTE controversy".
- "VCK blames government for Jallikattu Ban".
- "VCK Chief on jallikattu issue".
- "Jallikattu celebrations despite ban by VCK Cadres".
- "Controversial Jallikattu celebrations across Tamilnadu".
- "Thiruma and LTTE".
- "VCK support to Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam".
- "VCK wants LTTE ban in India to be lifted".
- "LTTE Ban and VCK stance".
- "Against LTTE Ban".
- "VCK cadres arrested for alleged of supplying war materials to LTTE".
- "Naraka, Tamil Outfits Celebrate Slain LTTE Chief's Birthday". November 27, 2015.
- Location of VCK party office
- Official website of Thirumavalavan (in Tamil)
- News coverage: Wikinews India, NDTV, The Hindu
- TASMAC Campaign 
- Gandhian Principles Propaganda 
- TASMAC bandh 
- Against Liquor 
- Against TASMAC 
- Tamil Fishermen issue 
- Tamil Eelam issue 
- People welfare Front 
- Tamil Eelam Supporter's organisation  
- Jallikattu Issue 
- LTTE Ban controversies