Vidyalankar Institute of Technology
|Motto||Provoked by Intellect, Propelled by values|
|Type||Engineering and Technology Institution|
|University of Mumbai and AICTE|
|Undergraduates||Intake 780 per year|
|Postgraduates||Intake 174 per year|
|Location||Wadala, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Campus||Urban, Spread over 11 acres (45,000 m2) in Central Mumbai|
Vidyalankar Institute of Technology was started in the year 1999 after having secured permission from the AICTE and University of Mumbai.It has slowly gained popularity and today attracts top talent. It caters to students who have passed the Maharashtra State Board's HSC and CET examinations and desire to take up engineering as their profession.It secured an A grade rating from the Mumbai University in 2005.
- 1 History
- 2 Programs offered
- 3 Campus
- 4 Library
- 5 Laboratories
- 6 Hostel
- 7 Achievements and awards
- 8 Student life
- 9 Placements
- 10 Internship
- 11 Location
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
VIT is different[original research?] from other institutes in Mumbai in the sense that it was established by an organization that was already well known in the field of education viz. Vidyalankar Dyanapeeth Trust. The trust was founded by Prof. C.S. Deshpande. He started coaching students in 1960, in a single classroom in Dadar. Vidyalankar classes shifted to their present location in 'Pearl Center', Dadar in 1974. After 39 years of coaching students, the trust decided to expand by establishing the Vidyalankar Institute of technology. The institute had humble beginnings in Pearl Center, the very same building where Vidyalankar Classes is situated; and moved to the current campus in 2001.
Currently, the Institute offeres both graduate and postgraduate programs. Following are the details of the programs as of 2015. The college has gone through various phases of expansions over the last few years, and further expansions are also expected.
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering: 120 + 60 (Direct 2nd Year) Seats
- Electronics Engineering 120 + 60 (Direct 2nd Year) Seats
- Computer Engineering: 120 + 60 (Direct 2nd Year) Seats
- Information Technology: 120 + 60 (Direct 2nd Year) Seats
- Bio-Medical Engineering: 60 Seats
Accreditation : Electronics,Electronics & Telecommunication and Bio-Medical programs are accredited by National Board of Accreditation (NBA) for 3 years w.e.f 01.07.2016
The college offers a postgraduate course in MMS (Master of Management Studies), where the degree is conferred by the University of Mumbai. Admission is based on Maharashtra CET (Common Entrance Test) score. The college also offers a Masters program in computer engineering, where the degree is conferred by the University of Mumbai.
- Masters in Management Studies: 120 Seats
- M.E (Computer Engineering): 18 Seats
- M.E (Information Technology): 18 Seats
- M.E (Electronics and Telecommunication): 18 Seats
The college offers a Doctoral program in computer engineering, where the degree is conferred by the University of Mumbai.
- Ph.D.(Computer Engineering): 10 Seats
The campus is located in Wadala (East), a central suburb of Mumbai, and stretches over 11 acres (45,000 m2 or 480,000 sq ft) of land. It is close to some residential complexes like Dosti Acres and Lloyd's Estate.
The campus comprises 3 buildings, 2 gardens, a football field, a volleyball ground and also a cricket pitch. A canteen and a cafe both offer a wide range of food and beverages. Also, separate parking lots are available for students and faculty members, for both 2-wheelers and 4-wheelers.
The library provides a wide-ranging collection of books which include university prescribed text books and reference material. The library also subscribes to all major international journals and magazines. Some major non-technical magazines are also subscribed to. The library also has a reading hall which is open 6 days a week and on Sundays when exams are approaching.
|Number of books||Number of titles||Number of Non-Academic
|Statistics true as of October 2015.|
Apart from books, the college also provides students with the facility of using the IEEE/IET electronic library (IEL); an online database, which holds more than 3,796,274 full text documents.
E-Learning and other online resources
Our faculty members have developed several PPT based e-study material as well as digital notes of various subjects in the engineering discipline.These slides are designed in such a way that they can be used for last minute revision.This e-learning material, once fully developed, is planned to be made available online for the benefit of the students in other colleges as well.
It is very helpful for all the students.
An entire floor of the main building is reserved for laboratories. They include labs maintained by the 5 departments as well as other core departments such as Applied Sciences and Mechanics departments.
In addition to 12 computer laboratories, the Institute has set up a state of the art 'Central Computing Centre'. An area of 300 sq m is dedicated for the Computer Centre. Apart from IBM compatible P4 desktops, the centre has Apple Mac desktops and Sun Blade Workstations. All these computers are networked and backed up with various legal operating systems & application software along with printing & scanning devices.
The Vidyalankar Gurkul, a hostel for boys and girls at Nerul, has been run by the Vidyalankar Dyanapeeth Trust since June 1996. A total of 131 students (both boys and girls) reside here. A few of the students are from the western suburbs of Mumbai, while others come from different states of India. The hostel is located near Nerul railway station, in Sector 17.
Achievements and awards
- Vidyalankar has won the award for the Top Institutional Theater Design in the world at the Interior Design Best of the Year Awards held on the 4 December 2014 at the famous IAC Building,Manhattan,New York City.
- Infosys has selected Vidyalankar as a partner for its Campus-Connect Program, wherein they train pre-final year Vidyalankar students to make them industry ready.
- VIT has also spread its wings by a tie up with Penn State University, USA. In this program, students finish the first two years of the B.S. program in VIT and upon achieving the required GPA, finish the later two years of the course at Penn State University.
- Recently, VITians joined hands with the Indian Development Foundation (Formerly the Indian Leprosy Foundation) to spread awareness of Tuberculosis to the masses.
- Vidyalankar Group of Educational Institutes' Friday Paathshala earned recognition nationally by winning a silver in the ‘college contact programme of the year’ category at the 1st WOW Event and Experiential Awards.
The college has student chapters of various international organizations. It has also set up various development and interaction cells to help students to decide on the path they want to take in the future. The college's annual festivals organised in the Summer semester while smaller events are conducted throughout the year by the student organizations.
Vidyalankar Institute of Technology's Computer Society of India (CSI-VIT) Student Chapter was conferred with the prestigious "Best Accredited Student Branch" Award for 2015-16 at the CSI Annual Convention 2016. The Institute's CSI Chapter won the "Best Accredited Student Branch" Award for 2013-14, in the past.
- Research and Development Cell
- Entrepreneurship Development Cell
- Industry Institute Interaction Cell
- SC - Student Council
- EESA - Electronics Students' Association
- ETSA - Electronics and Telecommunications Students' Association
- ITSA - Information Technology Students' Association
- BMSA - Bio-Medical Students' Association
- CESA - Computer Education Students' Association
- Hobby Club Committee
- Sports Council
- Women Development Committee
- Vidyalankar Service Scheme
- Personality Enrichment Committee
- VIT Volunteering Committee
- Administrative Committees
- Anti Ragging Committee
- Admission Committee
- Alumni Committee
- Career Counselling Committee
- Laboratory Development Committee
- Library Committee
- Parent Interaction Committee (PIC)
- Placement Committee
- Value Added Services
- Corporate Communication
- Final Year Projects Quality Assurance Committee
- Food and Beverages Committee
- Staff Development Committee
- Staff Welfare Committee
- An intra-collegiate cultural festival called VERVE is held in February/March every year. Some events like Dance Competitions, Fashion Show and War of the DJs are held on an inter-collegiate level. It also includes fun events like Antakshri, Ad-Mad show, Press Conference etc.
- Every February, an inter-collegiate sports festival is held in the college campus, including both indoor and outdoor sports. The highlight of the festival is the S6 (Six a side - Six overs) cricket tournament in which more than 15 colleges participate. It also includes intra-collegiate competitions in volleyball, box-cricket, throwball, carrom, chess etc.
V Express is the annual magazine published by the college. The issue comes out usually in the month of April. The editing staff consists of students from all branches and includes freshers as well.
Friday Paath-shala is a platform created for students to indulge in their non academic passions & pursuits. This ranges from dance workshops to screening thought provoking movies and debates to musical jams where students bring their favourite musical instruments. The allotted time is every Friday between 4.30 pm to 6.30pm and the venue is the amphitheatre.
Vidyalankar Group of Educational Institute’s ‘Friday Paathshala’ earned recognition nationally by winning a silver in the ‘college contact programme of the year’ category at the 1st WOW Event and Experiential Awards.
‘Friday Paathshala’ is a non-academic interaction for engineering students in Vidyalankar Institute of Technology. Every Friday is turned into an exciting and fun-filled evening for students in the form of workshops, movie-screenings, sports, dance and jam-sessions. ‘Friday Paathshala’ reaches out to more than 2000 students in 6 months and 24 sessions every academic year.
‘Friday Paathshala’ from being a single college activity has now extended out to all engineering colleges in Mumbai and have involved them in an annual S6 cricket tournament (6 a side, 6 over each). The S6 cricket carnival is now 2 editions old and is becoming a landmark sports event in the annual sports calendar of engineering colleges.
VIT prioritizes campus recruitment and in a well-defined process, trains and prepares its job aspirants meticulously and ensures that a majority of students are placed at reputed organizations.
The Institute aims at providing organizations with engineers who are an appropriate fit for the organization's needs. The Institute’s Training and Placement Cell has a focused approach on preparing students right from the second year of joining the college.
We have seen a lot of progresses in terms of more number of students being absorbed by various prestigious companies over the years, as also more and more esteemed companies have approached us for students time and again.
- To achieve maximum recruitment, the TPO conducts comprehensive pre-placement training and conducts mock aptitude tests, mock interviews and group discussions.
- Facilitates regular industry-institute interaction.
- Experienced teaching staff takes care of the technological abilities to be able to recall knowledge gained during academics for application at the work place.
- Soft skills required are inculcated by way of Dale Carnegie training sessions which play an important role in the industry.
- This training includes personality development, communication skills, and extensive exercises to inculcate analytical abilities empowering students to interpret data faster.
- We also have facilities within college premises for conducting campus interviews and these include those for presentations, conducting aptitude tests, group discussions and interviews.
- The preparation process addresses such areas as building relationships and projecting a personality that is appropriate to a young engineering graduate taking an assignment in an organization.
The following is the list of companies that visit VIT for campus placements:-
- Apex Precision
- Bristle Cone
- I - Gate
- Indian Navy
- Ingram Micro India (SSC) Private Limited
- KPIT Technologies
- L & T Infotech
- Mu Sigma
- Oracle Finance Services (OFSS)
- Persistent Systems
- Quinnox Consultancy Services
- Seclore Technologies
- Select Control Systems Limited
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Works Applications
- Zeus Learning
- Zycus Infotech Limited
VIT in the academic year was fortunate enough to have two of its students going for Internationational Internship at Works Application Tokoyo from the period 6 January 2015 to 27 January 2015.Complete financial aid was provided for accommodation as well as journey from Mumbai to Tokyo. Also travel allowance (a pasmo) was provided to travel from accommodation to workplace.
The Vidyalankar campus is situated in Wadala (E) in Central Mumbai, 1 kilometer away from Wadala Road Station. It is located on Vidyalankar College Marg next to residential complexes, Dosti Acres and Lloyd's Estate. The campus is also bordered by the Antop Hill Warehouse company.
- "Institute information for academic year 2009-10". Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "Institute information for academic year 2009-2010 Institute Code : MB343". Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "Institute information for academic year 2009-2010 Institute Code : ME235". Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "Go, Excel in Life". Bombay Times. 2008-07-05. Archived from the original on 10 September 2008. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "VIT grade document". Archived from the original on 10 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "Origin of Vidyalankar and its rich academic heritage". Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "Origin and History of Vidyalankar". www.missionmca.com. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- "List of PG Institutes for year 2009-10". Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "VIT Library". Archived from the original on 12 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "IEEE/IET Electronic Library - Information driving innovation". Retrieved 2009-06-23.
- "VIT Laboratories". Archived from the original on 12 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "VIT Computer Facilities". Archived from the original on 19 February 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "VIT Gurukul". Archived from the original on 6 October 2008. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "Vidyalankar has won the Honour Award from Designshare".
- "Indian Design Comes of Age". Worldarchitecturenews.com. 2007-10-07. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "A work in totality" (PDF). Roof & Facade ASEAN edition. 2007-08-01. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "VIT Placement Cell news". Archived from the original on 10 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "Vidyalankar at the forefront". Education Times. Times of India. 2008-06-30. Archived from the original on 10 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "Building Leaders for the Digital, Global Economy" (PDF). Mosaic Springs 07. Penn State University. 2007. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "VITians to stop TB". Indian Development Foundation blog. 2009-03-21. Retrieved 2009-06-01.
- "CSI-VIT's Award 2015-16".
- "CSI-VIT's Award 2013-14".
- "VIT Research and Development Cell". Archived from the original on 16 February 2009. Retrieved 1 June 2009.
- "VIT Entrepreneurship Development Cell". Retrieved 1 June 2009.[dead link]
- "VIT Industry Institute Interaction Cell". Retrieved 1 June 2009.[dead link]
- "VIT's Paathshala program wins award". Retrieved 1 June 2009.[dead link]
- "WOW awards winners". Retrieved 2009-06-01.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vidyalankar Institute of Technology.|