|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Launched||September 6, 2006|
|Former names||VeneMovies (2006–2011)|
|Available on many cable systems||Consult local listings|
|AT&T U-verse||3132 (SD)|
|Verizon FiOS||1682 (SD)|
ViendoMovies is an American Spanish-language pay television channel, distributed in High Definition and present in cable television, Telcos and satellite television companies. The channel is owned by SomosTV, company headed by Luis Villanueva (President & CEO of SOMOS Group). ViendoMovies runs 24-hours a day featuring movies originally produced in Spanish in a commercial free format (without television advertisement). ViendoMovies' programming reaches subscribers in the United States and Puerto Rico.
In 2006 SomosTV, a Pay TV entertainment company based in Miami, Fl announced the launch of ViendoMovies, then under the name VeneMovies. ViendoMovies was created based on the Hispanic market's affinity for Spanish language films. U.S. Hispanics are avid consumers of films. According to Hispanics Business Magazine, Hispanics eagerly attend film openings, accounting for over 17% of tickets sold, and watch more movies (DVDs, Blu-ray, and Digital Streaming) per year than any other segment of the U.S. population. On July 4, 2011, VeneMovies was renamed ViendoMovies.
ViendoMovies is currently distributed by cable television and satellite television companies such as Comcast Xfinity, Altice, DirecTV, Charter Spectrum, RCN, Verizon FiOS, AT&T U-Verse, and Liberty Cablevision, Innovative Cable U.S. Virgin Islands and other cable companies. The channel announced in 2014 National Satellite Television Distribution.
ViendoMovies offers a selection of theatrical wide release movies from Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, among others. The channel includes feature film genres such as action, drama, comedies, romance, etc. and include movies in a free VOD (Video on Demand) offering for its subscribers. The channel covers national and international film festivals where Spanish language movies participate. ViendoMovies includes close captioning in English and Spanish.
ViendoMovies is distributed as well by NCTC (National Cable Television Cooperative) for affiliated cable operators. NCTC is responsible for acquiring programming and hardware for almost 1000 affiliated companies that own and operate cable television systems in the U.S.
- Press Room (September 2006). "Cisneros Group's Venevision International Launches on Comcast "VeneMovies" : America's First Full-Featured U.S.-Hispanic Cable Movie Channel". Comcast. Archived from the original on 2011-07-04. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "Cisneros Group's Venevision International Launches on Comcast 'VeneMovies': America's First Full-Featured U.S.-Hispanic Cable Movie Channel". Hispanic PR Wire. Hispanic Business Magazine. September 2011. Archived from the original on 2012-03-21. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- Angelique Flores (June 2011). "VeneMovies to Change Its Name to ViendoMovies". Home Media Magazine. Archived from the original on 2012-03-29. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- Lisa Barder (March 2010). "VeneMovies & Semillitas, Two New 24-Hour Spanish Language Channels, Added to RCN's Hispanic Cable TV Program Packages". Yahoo Finance. Retrieved 2011-09-23.[permanent dead link]
- Giselle Trainor (May 2010). "Time Warner Cable Launches VeneMovies, a 24 Hour Movie Channel with Contemporary Movies in Spanish on San Diego and Desert Cities Channel Lineup". PR Newswire. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "SomosTV's VeneMovies, Semillitas Broadens Their Distribution Scope". TTV Media News. March 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-23.
- "SOMOSTV Signs for Broad Distribution of Semillitas and VeneMovies in the US". TTV Media News. 2010. Archived from the original on 2013-02-08. Retrieved 2011-09-20.