The Bachelor (season 14)
|The Bachelor (season 14)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||11 (including 3 specials)|
|Original release||January 4– March 1, 2010|
The Bachelor: Season 14 (also known as The Bachelor: On the Wings of Love) is the 14th season of ABC reality television series The Bachelor. The season premiere aired on January 4, 2010. The show features Jake Pavelka a pilot from Dallas, Texas, courting 25 women. Pavelka was eliminated by Jillian Harris on the fifth season of The Bachelorette. It is the first season of The Bachelor to be broadcast in high definition.
- 1 Contestants
- 2 Call-out order
- 3 Episodes (dates)
- 4 Post-show
- 5 Ratings
- 6 Jake Pavelka
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Biographical information according to ABC official series site, plus footnoted additions
|Vienna Girardi||23||Geneva, Florida||Marketing Representative||Winner||1|
|Tenley Molzahn||25||Newberg, Oregon||College Admissions||Runner-up||2|
|Gia Allemand||26||New York, New York||Swimsuit Model||Week 7||3|
|Ali Fedotowsky||25||Williamstown, Massachusetts||Advertising Account Manager||Week 6||4 (quit)|
|Corrie Adamson||23||Kissimmee, Florida||Wardrobe Consultant||Week 5||5|
|Ashleigh Hunt||25||North Potomac, Maryland||Account Manager||Week 4||6–7|
|Jessie Sulidis||25||Oakville, Ontario||Cosmetic Sales Manager|
|Kathryn Sherlock||25||Lexington, Kentucky||Corporate Flight Attendant||8|
|Ella Nolan||30||La Follette, Tennessee||Hair Stylist||9|
|Elizabeth Kitt (NE)||29||Imperial, Nebraska||Nanny||Week 3||10–11|
|Valishia Savage||32||San Bernardino, California||Homemaker|
|Michelle Kujawa||26||Anaheim, California||Office Manager||12|
|Ashley Elmore||29||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania||Teacher||Week 2||13–14|
|Christina McCasland||25||San Diego, California||Restaurant Manager|
|Rozlyn Papa||28||Richmond, Virginia||Model/Make-Up Artist||15 (DQ)|
|Alexa (Lex) McAllister||25||Galloway, Ohio||Entrepreneur||Week 1||16–25|
|Caitlyn McCabe||24||Winfield, Illinois||Spokesmodel|
|Channy Choch||29||Santa Rosa, California||Mortgage Loan Officer|
|Elizabeth Kreft (D.C.)||29||Union, Kentucky||Captain, Air National Guard|
|Emily Harkins||23||West Chester, Ohio||Fitness Model|
|Kimberly Sullivan||24||Norman, Oklahoma||NBA Dancer|
|Kirsten Pittman||25||Aurora, Colorado||Waitress|
|Sheila Marie Lidner||25||Scottsdale, Arizona||Commercial Pilot|
|Stephanie Mueller||24||Morris, Illinois||Dance Teacher|
|Tiana Kruzel||31||Calgary, Alberta||Medical Technician|
After On the Wings of Love, Pavelka competed in the tenth season of Dancing with the Stars, partnered with Chelsie Hightower and finished in 7th place. Ali Fedotowsky was chosen as the bachelorette for the sixth season of The Bachelorette. Runner-up Tenley Molzahn, along with finalists Gia Allemand, Ashley Elmore, Elizabeth Kitt, Michelle Kujawa and Jessie Sulidis appeared in the inaugural season of Bachelor Pad. They finished individually in 14th/15th, 9th/11th, 5th/6th, 18th/19th and 16th/17th, while Molzahn finished as runner-up with Bachelor Nation alumni Kiptyn Locke. Pavelka and Allemand returned for the second season on Bachelor Pad with Vienna Girardi and Ella Nolan. They finished 13th, 5th/6th and 7th/8th, while Allemand quit in 16th place. Kujawa later returned in the first season of Bachelor in Paradise and quit the competition, finished in 25th place. Molzahn later returned in the second season of Bachelor in Paradise and finished in 7th/8th.
|9||Elizabeth (D.C.)||Rozlyn||Jessie||Ashleigh H.||Ella|
|10||Alexa||Jessie||Ashleigh H.||Elizabeth (NE)
|13||Kimberly||Ashleigh H.||Ashley E.
- The contestant received a first impression rose
- The contestant received a rose during the date
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant was eliminated during the date
- The contestant quit the competition
- The contestant originally received a rose but was disqualified from the competition
- The contestant won the competition
- In week 6, Ali decided to quit the competition, cancelling the upcoming rose ceremony. The remaining girls are listed in alphabetical order.
- In week 2, Rozlyn was disqualified for having an inappropriate relationship with a show's producer.
Original airdate: January 4, 2010
There were no dates during the first week. Jake starts his quest for finding love in Los Angeles. Memorable moments include Ashley's stewardess costume. Jillian and Ed of The Bachelorette came to the mansion prior to the rose ceremony answering questions for the ladies. Tenley received the first impression rose and 10 ladies were sent home in the first rose ceremony.
Original airdate: January 11, 2010
Group: Corrie, Christina, Valishia, Gia, Rozlyn, and Ashleigh. They took part in an InStyle magazine photo shoot. At the party, they were sent to Shangri-La Hotel in Santa Monica. Rozlyn receives a rose.
Group: Elizabeth (NE), Vienna, Ashley, Kathryn, and Jessie. The night before the date, Michelle threatened to leave the mansion since her name has not been on the date list, displaying bad behavior and she got very upset. The next day, they were taken to Six Flags Magic Mountain to have their fun at the amusement park. Elizabeth (NE) got a rose and watched fireworks with Jake.
Other developments: During in the middle of the cocktail party, Chris asks Rozlyn to talk outside. It was brought to Chris's attention that Rozlyn had an inappropriate relationship with one of the show's staffers and told her the staffer has been fired. The remainder of the cocktail party was cut short, ending during Jake's conversation with Christina. Rozlyn gives her rose back with only now two safe roses (Ali and Elizabeth (NE)). During "The Women Tell All" episode, she explained that she had trouble contacting her child and the staffer had supported her and allowed her to use his phone.
Original airdate: January 18, 2010
One-on-one: Vienna. They take on a helicopter to San Gabriel Mountains for a bungee jump off the bridge. She receives a rose.
Group: Corrie, Elizabeth (NE), Ali, Jessie, Michelle, Ashleigh, Tenley and Kathryn. They visit the comedy club in Hollywood. Jon Lovitz is asked to perform for the Bachelorettes a stand up comedy routine. Michelle is eliminated before the date is over, Jake not agreeing that her behavior wasn't acceptable.
One-on-one: Ella. They go on a helicopter ride San Diego SeaWorld and she receives a pleasant surprise – her son, because Ella celebrated her birthday. Jake, Ella and her son spend the day together. She receives a rose.
Cocktail party: All of the ladies. Elizabeth (NE) backstabbed Vienna her see a rose being given during a 1 on 1 date.
Original airdate: January 25, 2010
- Located in: Various locations in central coast of California
At the start of the episode, Chris Harrison tells the remaining ladies that they will be living in RV for their trip across the coast.
One-on-one: Gia. They are taken to a beautiful winery in Santa Ynez. She receives a rose.
Group: Corrie, Ali, Ashleigh, Jessie, Tenley and Vienna. They traveled to Pismo Beach for a wild day of dune buggying and sandsurfing. Jake talks Tenley about her relationship with her ex-husband and she receives the rose.
Two-on-one: Ella and Kathryn. They take travel to Big Sur for an outdoor dinner. Neither got a rose and both of them were sent home, this has been the first time in The Bachelor history that no one receives a rose during a two-on-one date.
Other developments: The rose ceremony's location at Villa Montalvo in Saratoga. Jake has a shocking difficult decision to eliminate only one person after already eliminated two people during a two-on-one date. Like the previous season, the Bachelorette eliminated two people at the rose ceremony instead of one with one rose taken away. As a result, the leading man eliminated Jessie and Ashleigh with Vienna given the last rose.
Original airdate: February 1, 2010
- Located in: San Francisco
One-on-one: Tenley. They went to Chinatown, and wrote messages on fortune cookies. Then, they had dinner at the top of Coit Tower. Tenley made it clear that she had traditional values about marriage and that she had only slept with her ex-husband. Tenley's previous marriage was obviously still affecting her during this date.
Two-on-one: Gia and Vienna. They went to Castello di Amorosa in Napa Valley for an overnight stay and they had dinner together. After they went to their separate rooms, Vienna snuck into Jake's room to spend some extra time with him.
Original airdate: February 8, 2010
- Located in: Hometowns (dates) and Los Angeles (rose ceremony)
|1||Gia||New York, New York|
Gia and Jake toured New York City where they look pictures of sight-seeing locations together, including the Statue of Liberty and modeling poses. Ali and Jake visited her deceased grandmother's home. Tenley took Jake to the dance academy where she first learned how to dance. Vienna and Jake took a boat ride on a swampy river.
At the turn of the dramatic events, there was no rose ceremony and Ali left the competition early so she would not lose her job.
Original airdate: February 15, 2010
- Located in: Saint Lucia
Jake spends a night in the 'fantasy suite' with each of the final three contestants. Presumably he has intercourse with each of them which may have made it difficult for viewers to maintain friendly feelings towards Jake (especially as he asks Gia to leave at the rose ceremony and Tenley had only ever slept with her ex-husband). Gia and Jake go to a groove on Saint Lucia streets, Tenley and Jake took a helicopter ride on overlooking the island and have a plunge. Vienna and Jake rode a ship famously from Pirates of the Caribbean film series. Before the rose ceremony, Ali received a phone call and asked Jake to give another chance with him and Jake declined the offer. At the rose ceremony, Jake gives the roses to Tenley and Vienna, eliminating Gia.
Week 8 (Finale)
Original airdate: March 1, 2010
- Located in: Saint Lucia
Jake introduces Tenley and Vienna to his family at Jalousie Bay, they meet with Jake's parents, two brothers and sisters-in-law. Having only one last chance date to select one to be his wife. Jake's family likes Vienna, with his mom and sisters-in-law, both approving of Tenley and Vienna. Jake and Vienna frolick in the mud at the hot springs. While Jake and Tenley snorkeled on a charter boat. Jake comes to his decision: he selects Vienna, leaving Tenley heartbroken.
After the Final Rose
This is the special episode which airs after every finale. In season 14's segment, Jake told Chris Harrison about Bachelor Pad, Ali was chosen as the next bachelorette in the sixth season of The Bachelorette. Jake and Vienna were seen in a public appearance as a couple, Jeffrey Osborne sang "On the Wings of Love" at the closing of the show.
In June 2010, several months after their engagement, it was announced that Jake and Vienna Girardi had split.
On August 14, 2013, third-place contestant Gia Allemand died after a reported suicide attempt. Several contestants as well as Pavelka expressed their condolesces via Twitter, with Pavelka saying, "I am in complete shock and devastated to hear the news about Gia. She was one of the sweetest people I have ever known. And a very dear friend. My heart goes out to her family during this very difficult time. We have lost an angel today. I miss you Gia...".
On 16 February 2016, Alexa (Lex) McAllister died after an apparent suicide attempt in Columbus, Ohio, as reported by TMZ. Per E!News, the local police said that on 13 February they'd received a call in which it was claimed that McAllister had overdosed on prescription drugs. It is known that earlier on 13 February, McAllister expressed in an SMS message to a close person that she wished to leave her life. After that, the close person quickly arrived at McAllister's house out of concern for her, found empty bottles of prescription medications and called the police. While McAllister was in a stable condition on her way to Grant Medical Center, then E!News got access to a police report, which stated that she had taken "a lot" of pills. Her family took her off life support after her health began to deteriorate. McAllister was 31. Pavelka tweeted his condolences on Twitter, "I'm so sad to hear about Alexa. Such a beautiful girl. My heart breaks for her family. Covering them in prayer during this rough time".
U.S. Nielsen Ratings
|Episode||First Air Date||Rating
|1||January 4, 2010||3.3||8||9.50||N/A||N/A|
|2||January 11, 2010||3.6||9||10.50||N/A||N/A|
|3||January 18, 2010||3.8||9||10.66||N/A||N/A|
|4||January 25, 2010||3.9||10||11.47||N/A||N/A|
|5||February 1, 2010||4.1||10||11.73||N7A||N/A|
|6||February 8, 2010||4.1||10||12.35||N/A||N/A|
|7||February 15, 2010||4.1||10||11.53||N/A||N/A|
|8||February 22, 2010||3.9||10||11.27||N/A||N/A|
|9||March 1, 2010||5.3||14||15.15||N/A||N/A|
|10||March 1, 2010||5.3||13||13.91||N/A||N/A|
- Episode 8, The Women Tell All Special.
- Episode 10, After the Final Rose Special is down comparable to last year.
Jake Pavelka grew up in Denton, Texas, and attended University of North Texas and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University. In his free time, he takes dancing lessons, woodworking, and has fun flying acrobatic planes and he is also a former child actor. Pavelka is an airline pilot, and took his first flying lessons at 12 years old. He also became a certified flight instructor when he was 23 years old.
Pavelka became a member of an ABC reality show for the third time when he appeared as a celebrity contestant on the tenth season of Dancing with the Stars, partnered with Chelsie Hightower he was the fifth competitor eliminated on April 27, 2010.
- Campbell, Chuck (2010-01-25). "La Follette Native Ella Nolan eliminated from 'The Bachelor". Knoxville News Sentinel.
- "Vienna Girardi, Kasey Kahl Split: 'Bachelor Pad' Stars Break Up: REPORT". Huffington Post. November 8, 2011.
- "Ex-Husband of Tenley Molzahn to Jake Pavelka: Run!". Hollywood Gossip. February 27, 2010.
- Quirk, Mary Beth (December 16, 2009). "The Ones to Watch on The Bachelor". OK! Magazine.
- Masters, Megan (2010-01-26). "Why Is Bachelor's Jake Eliminating So Many Ladies?!". E!.
- "Inland bachelorette gets her rose in premier episode 'The Bachelor'". The Press Enterprise. 2010-01-04.[dead link]
- "'The Bachelor's Ashley Elmore Weighs In on 'The Bachelor' Scandal". MSN.com. 2010-01-15. Archived from the original on October 14, 2012.
- Rocchio, Christopher (2010-01-12). "The Bachelor Eliminates Rozlyn Papa for Inappropriate Relationship". Reality TV World.
- Washington, Julie (2010-01-02). "Chuck, Tracy Chevalier, 'Lost in Yonkers', Disney on Ice and a lot more make the new year's first Pop Ten". The Plain Dealer.
- "TV Bites: Ben Stiller Fills Up His Station". movieline.com. January 14, 2010.
- Deane, Donald (2010-01-05). "Channy's Dirty Talk Fails to Impress Jake on 'The Bachelor'". AOL.
- "Bachelor Rejects Both Local Women". The Cincinnati Enquirer. 2010-01-05.
- Bereznak, Alyssa (June 7, 2012). "Beer Chemist, Cruise-Ship Entertainer, Mushroom Farmer: The Wackiest Bachelorette and Bachelor Professions". Vanity Fair.
- Husted, Bill (2010-01-12). "Husted: Boulder film fest to salute Alec Baldwin". Denver Post.
- "Sheila Marie Lidner: Peoria, AZ". United States Federal Aviation Administration via Pilots-Airmen-FindTheData.org. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- Doody, Kelly (December 18, 2009). "Alberta beauty hopes to ground pilot". Vancouver 24 Hours. Archived from the original on February 10, 2014.
- Fleeman, Mike (June 22, 2010). "The Bachelor's Jake Pavelka and Vienna Girardi Split". People.com.
- Leung, Jason (August 14, 2013). "Remembering Gia Allemand". The Bachelor official site (ABC). Archived from the original on January 22, 2014. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- "And a very dear friend....". Jake Pavelka verified Twitter page. August 14, 2013. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- Ross, Robyn (August 14, 2013). "'The Bachelor' Star Gia Allemand Dies at 29". TV Guide. Retrieved 2014-02-10.
- Schnurr, Samantha (2016-02-16). "Former The Bachelor Contestant Lex McAllister Dead at 31 After Apparent Suicide Attempt". E!News. Retrieved 2016-02-17.
- Sblendorio, Peter (2016-02-16). "Former 'Bachelor' contestant Lex McAllister dead at 31 after apparent suicide". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2016-02-17.
- "Jake Pavelka on Twitter". Twitter.
- "Jake Pavelka". The Bachelor official site (ABC). Archived from the original on December 31, 2009.
- ABC: The Bachelor official site