Location of Vieremä in Finland
|Sub-region||Upper Savonia sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Ari Hukkanen|
|• Total||973.35 km2 (375.81 sq mi)|
|• Land||925.18 km2 (357.21 sq mi)|
|• Water||48.2 km2 (18.6 sq mi)|
|Area rank||83rd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||205th largest in Finland|
|• Density||3.99/km2 (10.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15.9%|
|• 15 to 64||63.2%|
|• 65 or older||20.9%|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
Vieremä is a municipality of Finland in the Northern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 3,688 (31 August 2018) and covers an area of 973.35 square kilometres (375.81 sq mi) of which 48.2 km2 (18.6 sq mi) is water. The population density is 3.99 inhabitants per square kilometre (10.3/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Iisalmi, Kajaani, Kiuruvesi, Pyhäntä, and Sonkajärvi. The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The municipality of Vieremä was founded in 1922. Before it Vieremä was a part of Iisalmen maalaiskunta.
Vieremä has an active musical life, despite its small size. Vieremä has long traditions in folk and religious music, and it is especially known for its active kantele-playing scene. A kantele camp for young players is organized every summer, and Vieremä church and Kyrönniemi Center of Culture and Religion host many concerts throughout the year.
- Notable music groups
- The Vieremä Veteran Choir often tours Finland and released a CD in 2004.
- Vieremän Kanteletytöt (Vieremä Kantele Girls) is one of Finland's most well-known kantele groups.
- Jumalan Ruoska (The Whip Of God) is an eccentric punk rock trio that has released records on the independent label Ässä-levyt and gained international recognition in underground circles.
- Pekka "The Cat" Ryhänen is a Christian metal guitarist/songwriter. He is originally from Kauppilanmäki, a small village in the Vieremä municipality.
Valkeiskylä, Kaarakkala, Karankamäki, Kirkonkylä, Rotimojoki, Nissilä, Palosenjärvi, Palosenmäki, Pyöree, Salahmi, and Savimäki.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku kuukausittain sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, elokuu 2018" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Vieremä at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Vieremä – Official website (in Finnish)
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|