Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Vietnam Union of Science and Technology Associations (VUSTA) is an umbrella organization of non-governmental or semi-autonomous organisations in Vietnam. It is a member of the Vietnam Fatherland Front, and member organisations remain connected to the government via the Union.
It was established as per Decision no 121/HĐBT dated July 29, 1983 of the Council of Ministers (now the Government) of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam. At the beginning, it had 15 member associations. In 2009, it comprised 79 are central discipline associations and 53 provincial unions of associations.
The member associations of VUSTA operate as per their own statures and regulations with broad autonomous rights. They have to abide by VUSTA’s main directives, under the guidance and control of VUSTA’s Central Council. Its national representative congress is the supreme leading organ, with a term of office in 5 years. Up to 2009, VUSTA had recorded 5 national congresses.
- Professor, Major General Trần Đại Nghĩa was the first Chairman of VUSTA (1983 - 1988).
- Professor Dr. Hà Học Trạc was VUSTA Chairman in term II and term III (1988 - 1999).
- Professor Vũ Tuyên Hoàng was VUSTA Chairman in term IV (1999 - 2004) and term V (2004 – 2009).
- The present Acting Chairman of VUSTA is Associate Professor Dr. Hồ Uy Liêm (since August 2008).
- Homepage of VUSTA (in English)