This article needs to be updated.(October 2011)
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
The Vietnamese Wikipedia (Vietnamese: Wikipedia tiếng Việt) is the Vietnamese-language edition of Wikipedia, a free, publicly editable, online encyclopedia supported by the Wikimedia Foundation. As with other language editions of Wikipedia, the project's content is both created and accessed using the MediaWiki wiki software. The Vietnamese Wikipedia's primary competitor is the Encyclopedic Dictionary of Vietnam (Từ điển Bách khoa toàn thư Việt Nam), a state-funded encyclopedic dictionary also available online.
As of December 2022, it has about 1,279,000 articles. It is the fifth largest Wikipedia in a non-European language, as well as the third largest for a language which is official in only one country. As of 2019, it had only 449,000 articles manually created, with 63% of its articles having been made by bots, thus ranking 3rd among non-European language Wikipedias after the Japanese and Chinese ones at the time.
The Vietnamese Wikipedia initially went online in November 2002, with a front page and an article about the Internet Society. The project received little attention and did not begin to receive significant contributions until it was "restarted" in October 2003 and the newer, Unicode-capable MediaWiki software was installed soon after.
By August 2008, the Vietnamese Wikipedia had grown to more than 50,000 articles – a milestone it achieved on August 26 – approximately 432 of which were created by bots. By the time the project reached the 100,000-article milestone on September 12, 2009, bot-generated articles made up around 5% of its corpus. Short articles are designated "stubs"; such articles number in the tens of thousands and include most of the bot-generated articles.
An experimental Wikipedia edition in the obsolete chữ Nôm script began in October 2006 at the Wikimedia Incubator. It was deleted in April 2010. An unrelated wiki encyclopedia project, VinaWiki, transliterates Vietnamese Wikipedia articles into chữ Nôm as part of a project to revive the script.
On June 23, 2014, Vietnam Wikipedians Community has agree to accept using bots to generate articles.
The volunteer-led Vietnam Wikimedians User Group supports the development of the Vietnamese Wikipedia and other Vietnamese-language Wikimedia projects. It gained formal recognition as a Wikimedia user group on 28 August 2018.
The Vietnamese Wikipedia's article count reached 500,000 on 28 September 2012 and 1,000,000 on 15 June 2014.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2018)
- The Vietnamese edition of the failed English Wikipedia proposal on importance is a formal guideline.
Vandalism on the Vietnamese Wikipedia has been covered by the media in Vietnam. Several newspapers have reported about Vietnamese Wikipedia users vandalizing content, mainly articles about singers, actors or characters. These newspapers can cover the news as soon as a program occurs.
Some people are victims of content vandalism such as: Hồ Ngọc Hà, Bảo Thy, Nguyễn Cao Kỳ Duyên (MC) and Kỳ Duyên (miss) or Isaac Newton and other topics. Miss Đỗ Mỹ Linh was also in a spiral of the same name, similar to the case between anchor and Miss Kỳ Duyên in 2014.
- "Vietnamese Wikipedia" (in Vietnamese). vi.wikipedia.org. 2014-07-28. Retrieved 2012-05-05.
- "Wikipedia Statistics - Bot article creations only". Stats.wikimedia.org. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- Zachte, Erik (2008-07-18). "Wikipedia Statistics Vietnamese". Wikimedia Statistics. Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved 2008-10-28.
- Data compiled using Escaladix's created articles list and a list of bots at the Vietnamese Wikipedia.
- "Wikipedia:Robot". Bách khoa toàn thư mở Wikipedia (in Vietnamese). Wikimedia Foundation. 2009-09-14. Retrieved 2009-09-14.
- Wikipedia:Bài sơ khai at the Vietnamese Wikipedia.
- "History of Wp/vi-nom". Wikimedia Incubator. Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "Incubator:Requests for deletions/Archive". Wikimedia Incubator. Wikimedia Foundation. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "張正" [Main Page]. VinaWiki (in Vietnamese). Han-Nom Revival Committee of Vietnam. August 23, 2016. Archived from the original on December 19, 2014. Retrieved August 28, 2016.
- "Bản mẫu:NUMBEROFBOTARTICLES", Wikipedia tiếng Việt (in Vietnamese), 2013-09-08, retrieved 2021-05-17
- "Recognition Wikimedians of Vietnam Wikimedians User Group". Wikimedia Meta-Wiki. Wikimedia Foundation. 28 August 2018. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- Wikipedia:Gõ tiếng Việt/Tiếng Anh, Vietnamese Wikipedia.
- "Wikipedia Việt bị nhiều người chỉnh sửa thiếu ý thức". 2016-12-25.
- "Wikipedia tiếng Việt thành bị nhiều người "rảnh nhảm" phá hoại". YAN News. 2016-01-26.
- "Bảo Thy không bận tâm dù bị bêu riếu". Zing. 2009-09-01.
- "'Đại chiến' trên Wikipedia Việt Nam vì Nguyễn Cao Kỳ Duyên". Zing. 2014-12-07.
- "Trang Wikipedia tại Việt Nam thường xuyên bị phá hoại". Zing. 2016-01-26.
- "Hoa hậu Đỗ Mỹ Linh thành từ khoá hot trên mạng sau một đêm". 2016-08-29.