Vietnamese studies (Việt Nam học) in general is the study of Vietnam and things related to Vietnam. It refers, especially, to the study of modern Vietnamese and literature, history, ethnology, and the philological approach, respectively.
The specialist in this area is called a Vietnamist.
Several major universities in the United States offer a Vietnamese studies major or program, including the University of Houston, University of California, and Yale University. Some colleges, such as Hobart and William Smith Colleges, offer a study abroad exchange program. The Vietnam National University, Hanoi has a comprehensive Institute of Vietnamese Studies and Development Sciences. The Tokyo University of Foreign Studies also offers a program in the field. In Central Europe, the oldest university, Charles University in Prague also offers a study programme focused on Vietnamese studies, called Ethnology with Vietnamese
In Germany, Vietnamese Studies (Vietnamistik) has been taught at the Asien-Afrika-Institut of the University of Hamburg since 1982. Instructor Vũ Duy Từ teaches Vietnamese language and culture, from 1984 to 1999 he was accepted as a professor at this university. Vietnamese studies that took place in 1970 at Berlin's Humboldt University, four years after German unification was entered with the Institute of Oriental Studies and Studies in Southeast Asia. In 1998, the position of professor of Vietnamese studies was canceled. From 2002 until now Jörg Thomas Engelbert is professor of the field at the University of Hamburg. In Bulgaria, a BA degree programme "South, East, Southeast Asia" was introduced in Sofia University in 2013. The curriculum focuses on the Asian region and includes Vietnamese Studies specialisation. 
- Chinese studies
- Japanese studies
- Korean studies
- Southeast Asian studies
- Asian studies
- Education in Vietnam
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Jack D. Harris, "Growing a Vietnamese Studies Program," ASAIA Network Exchange, Winter 2006, p. 21, found at Asia Network website Archived October 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved June 21, 2011.
- Vietnam National University website Institute of Vietnamese Studies and Development Sciences page. Retrieved June 21, 2011. Archived May 29, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Tokyo University of Foreign Studies website Vietnamese studies page. Retrieved June 21, 2011.
- Vietnamistika Archived September 28, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved June 21, 2011.
- '30 Jahre Vietnamistik an der Universität Hamburg' Archived 2016-02-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- Engelbert: Seite 16.
- http://www.hu-berlin.de/ueberblick/humboldt-universitaet-zu-berlin/dokumente/hsp/struktplan98.pdf Hochschulstrukturplan 1998](PDF-Datei; 1,1 MB) Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Prof. Dr. Jörg Thomas Engelbert - Curriculum Vitae Archived 2014-06-02 at the Wayback Machine. Universität Hamburg. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Sofia University Archived 2019-09-06 at the Wayback Machine. Sofia University. Retrieved September 6, 2019.
- Journal of Vietnamese Studies
- Vietnam Studies Group of the Southeast Asia Council of the Association for Asian Studies
- Review of Vietnamese Studies
- Vietnamese Studies Internet Resource Center
- Vietnamese Studies Major page at the University of Houston (Texas)
- The Asia Foundation Faculty Research Grant Program in Vietnamese Studies at the UCLA website
|This Vietnam-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about cultural studies is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about Asian studies is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|