|Group (Tập đoàn)|
|Industry||Mobile network operator|
|Nguyễn Mạnh Hùng|
|Products||Mobile networks, Telecom services|
|Revenue||$11 billion (2015)|
|$2 billion (2015)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Vietnam Military Telecommunications Group|
In 2015, Viettel introduced 4G services.
In 2010, Viettel introduced 3G services.
In 2012, Viettel started producing mobile phones, while discontinuing a co-operation with China's Huawei, which had previously produced Viettel phones. That same year, it made a profit from its foreign operations for the first time, mainly based on profits from Cambodia and Laos.
In 2014, Viettel announced its plan to invest $1 billion in a 3G network in Tanzania.
Viettel had a market share (estimated based on revenues) of 40.67% in 2012. Its main competitors are Vinaphone (owned by VNPT) with 30% market share and MobiFone with 17.9%. They control almost 90% of the market, with the rest controlled by Vietnamobile with 8%, Gmobile (formerly Beeline) with 3.2% and S-Fone with 0.1%. Viettel reported having 58.9 million customers, while Vinaphone and MobiFone estimated to have 70 million and Gmobile and Vietnamobile 10 million.
Viettel has developed telecommunication services in Laos, Cambodia, Haiti, Mozambique and Peru.
Viettel Global Investment JSC (Viettel Global) handles all the countries foreign investments. Viettel has successfully developed telecommunication services in three continents, Asia, Africa and the Americas. It made a profit from its foreign operations for the first time in 2012, mainly based on profits from Cambodia and Laos and recorded a $1.2 billion revenue from foreign operations in the year 2014.
The company plans to invest over $2.23 billion within the period of 2015-2017 for foreign expansion purposes. By 2017 the Viettel global market will cover an area of over 350 million potential subscribers. Viettel Global plans to sell 10% of its stake to obtain further capital to facilitate expansion and as of January 2015 had already begun laying infrastructure in Myanmar. The company focuses to expanding in developing countries and has anticipated expansion in Congo (DRC), Bangladesh, Nepal, North Korea, Belarus and Ukraine in the near future.
|Unitel||Laos||26 February 2008||2,500,000||Joint operation between Viettel Global and Lao Asia Telecom|||
|Metfone||Cambodia||19 February 2009||10,000,000||Largest phone operator in Cambodia with 50% market share.|||
|Natcom||Haiti||10 September 2011||2,000,000||Joint venture between Viettel Global (60%) and Haiti(40%).|||
|Movitel||Mozambique||10 January 2012||5,600,000||Leading mobile operator and coverage covers over 93% of the country land area.|||
|Telemor||East Timor||1 July 2013||470,000||Owns over 47% of the market share and began making a profit after 6 months of operation.|||
|Nexttel||Cameroon||12 September 2014||2,000,000||First 3G operator in the country.|||
|Bitel||Peru||16 October 2014||3,200,000||First foreign market where country GDP exceeds Vietnam.|||
|Lumitel||Burundi||30 May 2015||1,600,000||Largest operator in Burundi within 1 month of operation.|||
|Halotel||Tanzania||15 October 2015||2,666,393||Placed over 18,000 km of optic fiber cables|||
Subsidiaries and joint-ventures
Vietnam Military Telecommunications Group (Tập đoàn Viễn thông Quân đội), the parent of the Viettel brand, also owns a number of other companies.
- Vietnam Distribution (also Viettel Import and Export Co.) is an electronics retail company. It is one of the official distributors of Hewlett Packard and Fujitsu in Vietnam. HP is supporting Viettel in developing a retail and after-sale services network.
- Viettel New Service Development
- Viettel Post
- Viettel Investment and Real Estate
- Viettel International Investment
- Viettel Football Training Center
- "Vietnam's telecom market earns US$15 billion revenue in 2015". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Viettel dominates Vietnam's mobile market with $2bn profit in 2015". Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Military group strives for VND 230 trillion in 2015". Gafin.vn. 25 January 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- "Viettel officially launches 3G network". Telegeography. 8 September 2015. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- "Viettel officially launches 3G network". The Saigon Times. 26 March 2010. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Năm 2012 khó khăn của các mạng di động nhỏ". Gafin.vn. 3 January 2013. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Viettel joins phone production group". Saigon Times. 2 November 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Viettel offshore operations yield first profit". Saigon Times. 20 December 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- Nguyễn Tuấn (17 July 2013). "Những thành quả đầu tiên của công nghiệp quân sự Việt Nam". Vietstock.vn. Archived from the original on 22 July 2013.
- "Viettel develops unmanned military aircraft". Vietnamnet.vn. 25 February 2016. Archived from the original on 30 April 2014.
- "Viettel to invest $1 billion on 3G telecoms network in Tanzania: officials". Investing.com. 28 October 2014. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- vietnamnet (2015-04-25). "Viettel to sell part of subsidiary to finance expansion". Vietnam Breaking News. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Deadline looms for overseas bids for Myanmar's fourth licence - Developing Telecoms". Developing Telecoms. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Viettel eyes foreign expansion plan - News VietNamNet". english.vietnamnet.vn. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- vietnamnet.vn. "Unitel reaches $1 billion revenue figure in Laos - News VietNamNet". english.vietnamnet.vn. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Unitel - The best operator in Laos". www.unitel.com.la. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Our profile | Metfone". www.metfone.com.kh. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- Norowitz, Avi. "November 08, 2016". www.kirusa.com. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Haiti - Telecoms, Mobile and Broadband - Statistics and Analyses - BuddeComm". www.budde.com.au. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- TeleGeography. "Viettel Global claims 26m subs; 1H16 international revenues reach USD494m". https://www.telegeography.com. Retrieved 2017-01-15. External link in
- "Mozambican mobile phone operator Movitel starts operating on an experimental basis | Macauhub English". Macauhub English. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- TeleGeography. "Mobile subscribers reach 1.25m at mid-2015". www.telegeography.com. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- Nguyen, Quynh (28 October 2015). "Viettel Shines in East Timor". Retrieved 5 January 2015 – via vneconomictimes.com.
- "Nexttel telecommunications network | Let's fly with 3G High speed". www.nexttel.cm. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Bitel hits subscriber target, plans 4G launch next month". telegeography.com. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "Viettel starts operations in Peru, licenced in Tanzania - News VietNamNet". english.vietnamnet.vn. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- "It can happen: Viettel's Burundian start-up Lumitel notches 600k subs in first month". www.telegeography.com. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- User, Super. "Quarterly Telecommunications Statistics :". www.tcra.go.tz. Retrieved 2017-01-15.
- "Viettel to launch in Tanzania in Oct-15 under Halotel banner". www.telegeography.com. Retrieved 2016-01-05.
- vietnamnet.vn. "BUSINESS IN BRIEF 30/4 - News VietNamNet". english.vietnamnet.vn. Retrieved 2016-04-30.
- "HP picks Viettel as new distributor". The Saigon Times. 18 January 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2013.
- "Fujitsu officially appoints Viettel Distribution as the Distributor for Fujitsu's products in Viet Nam". Fujitsu. 1 March 2012. Retrieved 4 January 2013.