Location of the commune (in red) within Guadeloupe
|Overseas region and department||Guadeloupe|
|• Mayor||Georges Clairy|
|58.70 km2 (22.66 sq mi)|
|• Density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC−04:00 (AST)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
This is the oldest parish, founded in 1636, when the first French settlers inhabited the west coast near the present site of Vieux Habitants. The name, meaning "Old Settlers" derives from the fact that many employees of the West Indies Company retired here and preferred to be called "inhabitants" to distinguish between themselves and the slaves. It grew gradually as an agricultural area, famous for its coffee, vanilla and Creole gardens.
Vieux-Habitants is located in the southwest of Basse-Terre island, 87 kilometres southwest of Pointe à Pitre. It is bordered by the commune of Baillif to the south and Bouillante to the north. The commune also contains the village of Marigot to the north, between Vieux-Habitants village and Bouilliante. The Grand-Rivières river and forests forms a major part of the local scenery, flowing through the Domaniale forest of Guadeloupe National Park into the sea. Natural landmarks include the Plage de Rocroy beach, the Beaugendre Valley of the Grand-Rivières and L'Etang. There are numerous fresh water pools in the commune.
- Ecole maternelle Bourg Vieux-habitants
- Ecole maternelle Géry
- Ecole maternelle Beaujean-Labique Gratienne
- Ecole maternelle Duloir Henriette
Public primary schools:
- Ecole primaire La Cousinière
- Ecole primaire Géry
- Ecole primaire Marigot
- Ecole primaire Bourg Vieux-Habitants
Public junior high schools include:
- Collège Suze Angely
- "Vieux Habitants". Guadeloupe-antilles.com. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Hoy, Don R. (1961). Agricultural Land Use of Guadeloupe. National Academies. p. 31. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- Colón, Christina Paulette; Porter, Darwin; Flippin, Alexis Lipsitz (23 August 2011). Frommer's Caribbean. John Wiley & Sons. p. 320. ISBN 978-1-118-00427-2. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "Vieux-Habitants". Gwadaplans.com. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "LISTE DES ECOLES PUBLIQUES ET PRIVEES SOUS CONTRAT." Académie de la Guadeloupe. Retrieved on 10 March 2018.
- "Établissements du 2nd degré PUBLIC 2017-2018." Académie de la Guadeloupe. Retrieved on 10 March 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vieux-Habitants.|
|This Guadeloupe location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|