The church in Vieux-Vy-sur-Couesnon
|• Mayor (2014–2020)||Pascal Dewasmes|
|Area1||21.56 km2 (8.32 sq mi)|
|• Density||51/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||35355 /35490|
|Elevation||22–107 m (72–351 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The name Vieux-Vy-sur-Couesnon probably comes from the Latin Vetus Victus, "old market town." The settlement has had this name since at least 1063.
- Silver-lead ore was mined in the 19th century at a place called Brais. The mine was closed in 1956.
- A granite quarry is still in operation in the northeast, not far from the former mine site.
Inhabitants of Vieux-Vy-sur-Couesnon are called Vieuxviciens in French.
The village is served by just one bus route, the Rennes/Antrain line.
- The Saint-Germain church, most of which dates from the seventeenth century, although certain parts date from the eleventh century. The organ was installed in 1883.
- The Chateau of Moulinet, dating from the nineteenth century.
- The Grotto of Brais (dedicated to the Virgin Mary).
- Within the village boundaries there are seven watermills on the Couesnon river. These are mainly paper mills.
- The cyclopean Wall of Orange (from the Iron Age).
- A trough-shaped granite sarcophagus, first mentioned in 1020, located at the door to the church.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vieux-Vy-sur-Couesnon.|
All these links are in French.
- La Résistance à Vieux-Vy-sur-Couesnon A history of local resistance to Nazi occupation during World War II.
- Commune ou ville de Vieux Vy sur Couesnon: Actualités, agenda, forum, petites annonces, sites Internet... Local page from a regional Breton Web site
- Vieux-Vy-sur-Couesnon - Commune de Bretagne Summary of local administrative and statistical information.
- (in French) Cultural Heritage[permanent dead link]