Viewbank, Victoria, 3084
|School type||Public, Co-educational, Secondary, Day school|
|Motto||Caring for Excellence|
|Staff||95 (as of 2011)|
|Teaching staff||81 (as of 2011)|
|Enrolment||1125 (as of 2011)|
|Houses||Hydra, Ignis, Stella, Terra|
Navy blue, maroon, and gold
|Newspaper||Viewbank College Newsletter|
|Revenue||$10,613,904 (in 2010) |
|Communities served||Banyule City Council|
The administration building at Viewbank College
The two original schools serviced the surrounding area, predominantly enrolling students situated in the City of Heidelberg (now known as the City of Banyule). Banyule High School commenced in 1961 and by 1970 its student population had swelled to over 900. As a result, Rosanna East High School was started in 1970 to reduce the pressure on Banyule High School. It begun operating in the grounds of Rosanna Golf Links Primary School but the following year, with the completion of the construction of new buildings at the Warren Road site, the school moved to its permanent location in Viewbank. With decreasing enrolments in both schools, in 1993 talks were held in consideration of a merger. By January 1994, Viewbank College as a school had begun. On 6 November 1996, an official opening was conducted by the Honourable Richard McGarvie, the Governor of Victoria at the time.
The school continues to operate from the Warren Road site and retains ownership over the Banyule Theatre (previously part of Banyule High School) with the remaining land sold off for residential development. The theatre is now used for teaching and performance.
As well as offering students diverse learning challenges in the classroom, students have opportunities to develop and explore their talents through the Enhanced Acceleration Program, the debating Program, the music and drama program and the extensive Sports Programs. Students are actively encouraged through the strong Student Leadership program to become involved in the greater life of the College.
The College encourages parent involvement through the College Council, Friends of Music, Friends of Viewbank and Friends of the Performing and Visual Arts.
In recent years Viewbank College has become renowned in the local area for their Musical Productions. Each year over 120 students are involved in all aspects of the shows, including but not limited to Cast, Stage Crew, Audio Crew, Lighting Crew, Orchestra, Makeup Crew and Front Of House. The shows are generally "Big Broadway Musicals" attracting over 1400 ticket sales over 6 shows. Productions are held in July/August each year and are held at the college's Banyule Theatre.
|1994||Man Of La Mancha|
|1996||Son of Phantom|
|1997||The Pirates Of Penzance|
|1998||Annie Get Your Gun|
|1999||Bye Bye Birdie|
|2000||Mid Summer Nights Dream|
|2002||The Scarlet Pimpernel|
|2003||Guys And Dolls|
|2004||Little Shop Of Horrors|
|2007||Crazy For You|
|2013||How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying|
|2016||The Addams Family|
|2017||All Shook Up|
|2016||Law and Order|
In 2007 two students burnt down a section of the junior school lockers and were caught after investigation by the police.
- Victorian Essential Learning Standards (VELS)
- Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
- Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA)
- Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC)
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
- Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority
- "College History". Viewbank College. Viewbank College. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- Expression of interest - school based apprenticeship and traineeship support program (PDF) (Report). Banyule Nillumbik Regional Careers Group. November 2002. p. 12. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "Viewbank College, Rosanna, VIC". My School. ACARA. Retrieved 28 October 2012.
- "Japan Trip 2014." Viewbank College. Retrieved on June 25, 2015.
- "Two teens charged over Melbourne school fire". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 3 June 2007. Archived from the original on October 28, 2012. Retrieved 28 October 2012.