This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Vigyan Ashram logo
Vigyan Ashram (Marathi: विज्ञान आश्रम) is a center of Indian Institute of Education (IIE) Pune established by Dr. S. S. Kalbag in 1983. It's a modern version of the old Gurukula systems of 'simple living and high thinking'. Vigyan Ashram is located in the village Pabal, approx. 70 km (43 mi) from Pune. It is situated on Shirur Road, Rajgurunagar. Population of Pabal is 10,000. There are several small hamlets attached to Pabal, which make Pabal central market place. Pabal is drought-prone and is a truly representative Indian village. The idea of establishing Vigyan Ashram at Pabal is whatever they do at Ashram can be replicated in any part of the country.
In English “Vigyan” means ‘Search of Truth’ and “Ashram” symbolizes ‘Simple living and high thinking for us, an organization where all are equal, a modern version of the old Gurukul system’.
Technology Development and Education
Vigyan Ashram runs a fabrication labrotory to teach use of various tools, machines and produces locally made technological gadgets.
DBRT (Diploma in Basic Rural Technology)
DBRT is a one-year residential diploma course offered at Vigyan Ashram. This course is recognized by the National Institute of Open Schooling and useful for students interested to learn by hand. It is a multi-skill program in which training is given in the areas of:
- Engineering - fabrication & construction, basic carpentry, engineering drawing & costing.
- Energy & Environment - electrical, Motor rewinding, survey techniques, solar/biogas, etc.
- Home and Health - sewing, food processing, and rural lab.
- Agriculture and Animal Husbandry playhouse, poultry, goat farming, dairy nursery techniques.
Many Government, private organizations and individual donors support the program. Trustees of the Indian Institute of Education manage Vigyan Ashram.
- "About us - Vigyan Ashram".
- "Indian Institute of Education to kindle young minds through drone making and 3D printing workshops". Hindustan Times. 2018-04-07. Retrieved 2020-03-26.
- "Digital Divide and the Aakash Tablet". Economic and Political Weekly. 55 (10): 7–8. 2015-06-05.
- "Campus connect: Sneak peak into innovations from Pune's Vigyan Ashram". Hindustan Times. 2019-01-18. Retrieved 2020-03-26.