Vijay in 2016
Fatima Vijay Antony
|Relatives||Samuel Vedanayagam Pillai (Great-grandfather)|
Vijay Antony (born 24 July 1975) is an Indian music composer, playback singer, actor, film editor, lyricist, audio engineer and film producer working predominantly in the Tamil film industry. He made his debut as music director in 2005. He is the first Indian to win the 2009 Cannes Golden Lion for the song Naaka Mukka advertising film in the Best Music category. The song propelled his fame and was played at the 2011 Cricket World Cup. With his debut film being Naan in 2012, he is best known for his roles in action thriller films such as Salim (2014), Pichaikkaran (2016), Saithan (2017), Yaman (2017) and Kolaigaran (2019).
Vijay Antony was born in Nagercoil, Kanyakumari District. His father died when he was seven years old and his sister was four. The family was pushed into difficult days and his mother took up a government job to educate the children and support the family. They lived in a small flat allotted by Tamil Nadu Housing Board at Anbu Nagar, Tirunelveli from where Antony and his sister completed their schooling. Antony graduated in a physics major from St Xavier's College, Palayamkottai, and again enrolled for BSc in Visual Communication at Loyola College, Chennai, and is a sound engineer by education. He took basic training in music from the legendary pianist and guitarist Cleophas (was also an English Professor at St. Xavier's College, Palayamkottai). He was supported by film director S.A. Chandrasekhar during initial years in the gratitude of which Antony added the name 'Vijay' as a prefix to his name. He is the great-grandson of Samuel Vedanayagam Pillai (1826–1889), also known as Mayavaram Vedanayagam Pillai, an Indian civil servant who is remembered for the authorship of Prathapa Mudaliar Charithram, recognized as the first modern Tamil novel.
Vijay Antony made his acting debut in the lead role in the crime thriller Naan. The film's standalone sequel titled Salim, an action thriller, was his next venture as an actor and music director. Both the films were sleeper hits. In 2015, he starred in the romantic comedy India Pakistan but did not compose the music. In 2016, he acted in the action thriller Pichaikkaran (2016), collaborating with his Dishyum director Sasi. It became a commercial success, with overall collections nearing 40 Crore. His next was Saithan, an action thriller directed by debutant Pradeep Krishnamurthy.
He appeared in the 2017 political action thriller Yaman directed by Jeeva Shankar. Produced by A. Subaskaran under the banner Lyca Productions & Vijay Antony Film Corporation, it starred Miya and Thiagarajan in lead roles. The film was released on 24 February 2017. His next film was the action drama Annadurai, the story of two brothers of contrasting characters who live their life as fate plays a big part in their personalities. In 2018, he starred in Kaali, a period action film directed by Kiruthiga Udhayanidhi and Thimiru Pudichavan, an action film directed by Ganeshaa.
|2006||Kizhakku Kadalkarai Salai||Lecturer||Cameo appearance|
|2009||TN 07 AL 4777||Himself||Cameo appearance in "Aathichudi" song|
|2012||Naan||Karthik / Mohammed Salim||Norway Tamil Film Festival Award for Best Newcomer Actor|
|Nambiar||Himself||Cameo appearance in "Aara Amara" song|
|Saithan||Dinesh / Sharma|
|2017||Yaman||Thamizharasan / Arivudainambi|
|Mupparimanam||Himself||Cameo appearance in "Let's Go Party" song|
|Annadurai||Annadurai / Thambidurai|
|2018||Kaali||Kaali / Barath||Also producer|
|Traffic Ramasamy||Himself||Cameo appearance|
|Naan Avan Illai|
|A Aa E Ee|
|2009||"Aathichudi"||TN 07 AL 4777|
"Naan Unnai Paarkum"
|2010||"Palayankottai"||Aval Peyar Thamizharasi|
|2011||"O My Angel"
|2012||"Poochandi"||Sattam Oru Iruttarai|
|2013||"Thumbakka"||Madha Gaja Raja|
|2012||"Edhirthu nil"||Biriyani||Composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|2014||"Onnuna Rendu"||Aindhaam Thalaimurai Sidha Vaidhiya Sigamani||Composed by Simon|
|2016||"Lovukku logic ille"||Nayyapudai||Composed by Taj Noor|
- 2002 Chinna Papa Periya Papa (Season 1)
- 2005 Malargal
- 2005 Getti Melam
- 2006 Kana Kaanum Kaalangal
- 2007 Kadhalikka Neramillai
- 2007 Megala
- 2015 Chinna Papa Periya Papa (Season 2)
Antony is the first Indian to win a Cannes Golden Lion; he won in 2009 for the "Nakka Mukka" commercial (for The Times of India) in the Best of Music category. The song raised his fame and was played at the 2011 Cricket World Cup.
- "VIJAY ANTONY". vijayantony.com.
- "Vijay Antony's 'Naaka Mukka' fetches Best Use of Music Award at Cannes". 27 June 2009.
- "Music director Vijay Antony - Interview - Behindwoods.com - Music director Vijay Antony Kaadhalil Vizhundhen Sukran Dishyum By2 images Tamil picture gallery images". behindwoods.com.
- Srinivasan, Sudhir. "Same character different movie". The Hindu.
- Menon, Vishal. "I'm not a good actor: Vijay Antony". The Hindu.
- "No one will want to play a beggar in a film, but I did". The Times of India.
- "Review : Pichaikkaran review: Entertaining! (2016)". sify.com. Retrieved 9 May 2019.
- "Annadurai review. Annadurai Tamil movie review, story, rating". IndiaGlitz.com.
- "Vijay Antony gets Superstar Rajinikanth's title for next". Top 10 Cinema. 1 April 2017. Retrieved 2 April 2017.
- "Kolaigaran to release on June 5th". The Times of India.
- "Kolaigaran movie review: Arjun Sarja delivers a sublime performance in this gripping whodunit". Firstpost. 7 June 2019.
- "TOI wins India its first Gold Film Lions at Cannes". The Times of India. 28 June 2009. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vijay Antony.|