Vijay Devarakonda at NOTA press meet in 2018
|Born||9 May 1989|
|Occupation||Film actor, producer, media personality|
|Years active||2011 – present|
Vijay Deverakonda is an Indian film actor, producer, and media personality known predominantly for his works in Telugu language films. He debuted in 2011 with Ravi Babu's romantic comedy Nuvvila (2011), but he gained recognition with his supporting role in the coming-of-age drama Yevade Subramanyam (2015). Vijay gained stardom by playing the lead role in the 2016 romantic comedy Pelli Choopulu, which won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu and the Filmfare Award for Best Film - Telugu.
Subsequently, Vijay has established himself as a leading actor of Telugu cinema by starring in lead roles in critical and commercial successes such as Arjun Reddy (2017), Mahanati (2018), Geetha Govindam (2018), and Taxiwaala (2018), some of which rank among the list of highest-grossing Telugu films. His performance in Arjun Reddy won him several accolades, including the Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu. In 2019, he won the South Indian International Movie Critics Award for Best Actor and was also nominated for the Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu for his work in Geetha Govindam.
Vijay Deverakonda was born to Telugu television director, Deverakonda Govardhan Rao and Deverakonda Madhavi.
Early career and struggle (2011–2015)
Deverakonda made his film debut by starring in Ravi Babu's romantic comedy Nuvvila in 2011, and then had a small cameo role in Sekhar Kammula's Life is Beautiful. Both films were decently successful but failed to give Deverakonda much recognition. Then, he was introduced to an assistant director at the time, Nag Ashwin, who later cast him in a supporting role for the 2015 movie Yevade Subramanyam alongside actor Nani. The film was produced by the daughters of Ashwini Dutt, a producer in the Telugu film industry. Priyanka Dutt backed him, and once shooting started, Swapna Dutt signed him onto her company. The film went on to be a critical and commercial success, and Deverakonda won high praise for his diction, energy, and role in the movie. This movie finally gave him a much-desired break in Telugu cinema.
Breakthrough and success (2015–present)
Vijay's first lead role was in Pelli Choopulu, a romantic coming-of-age entertainer directed by Tharun Bhascker Dhaassyam, with Ritu Varma as the female lead. The film went on to be commercially successful and won the Best Feature Film in Telugu at the 64th National Film Awards as well as the Filmfare Award for Best Film - Telugu. He received praise for his realistic portrayal of a lazy and unmotivated chef. He then starred in a masala entertainer, Dwaraka in 2017. His next film Arjun Reddy received praise and criticism alike for being very bold and radical. Vijay's portrayal as a self-destructive, short-tempered, and alcoholic surgeon received critical acclaim, which led to him winning numerous awards, including the Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu. Following Arjun Reddy was Ye Mantram Vesave, which was delayed for 5 years and finally released. It was given poor reviews from critics and could not fare well at the box office. He then starred in Mahanati, a biographical period film around life of actress Savitri. He won acclaim for playing a charismatic and easy going photographer. Deverakonda's next release in 2018 was Geetha Arts' romantic comedy Geetha Govindam, in which he starred as an innocent and nervous college professor. Deverakonda received praise for playing a subtle, boy-next-door character after an aggressive role in Arjun Reddy. His next film, released on 5 October, was the Tamil political thriller NOTA, directed by Iru Mugan-fame Anand Shankar. It performed poorly at the box office. His next project was UV Creations' supernatural comedy thriller Taxiwala in which Vijay stumbles upon a possessed car opposite Priyanka Jawalkar. In 2019, Deverakonda was seen in Bharat Kamma's Dear Comrade, a romantic action drama, once again alongside Rashmika Mandanna. His upcoming film is Kranthi Madhav's romantic drama titled World Famous Lover opposite Rashi Khanna, Catherine Tresa, Aishwarya Rajesh and Izabelle Leite. He will next be seen in Hero, a Telugu film that will be dubbed in Tamil and Malayalam too. The movie will be directed by Anand Annamalai, co-writer of films like Kuttramae Thandanai and Kaakka Muttai. The film see Malavika Mohanan essay the role of Vijay's love interest. Vijay will be taking on the role of a biker in this film.
King of the Hill Entertainment
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
• All the films are in Telugu language, unless otherwise noted.
|2012||Life Is Beautiful||Ajay||Cameo appearance|
|2015||Yevade Subramanyam||Rishi||Supporting role|
|2016||Pelli Choopulu||Prasanth||First lead role|
|2017||Dwaraka||Erra Srinu / Sri Krishnananda Swamy|
|Arjun Reddy||Dr. Arjun Reddy Deshmukh||Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu|||
|2018||Ye Mantram Vesave||Nikhil "Nikki"|
|Mahanati||Vijay Anthony||Bilingual in Tamil as
|Geetha Govindam||Vijay Govind||Nominated- Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu|
|NOTA||Varun Subramanyam||Tamil film, dubbed and released in Telugu|
|Ee Nagaraniki Emaindhi||Vijay||Cameo appearance|
|2019||Dear Comrade||Comrade Chaitanya Krishnan (Bobby)||Dubbed into Kannada, Malayalam and Tamil|||
|Meeku Maathrame Cheptha||Vijay||Cameo Appearance|
|2020||World Famous Lover||Seenayya / Gautham / Srinu / Rowdy anna||Post Production|||
|Thalaivi||Sobhan Babu||Tamil film
|2019||Meeku Maathrame Cheptha||Shammeer Sultan||Producer|||
Awards and nominations
|2015||Nandi Awards||Special Jury Award - Telugu||Yevade Subramanyam||Won|
|2017||Filmfare Awards South||Best Actor - Telugu||Arjun Reddy||Won|
|Zee Telugu Golden Awards||Golden Awards for Best Actor|
|Behindwoods Gold Medal||The South Indian Sensation|
|2018||Zee Telugu Golden Awards||Favourite Actor||Geetha Govindam||Won|
|2019||Sri Kala Sudha Telugu Association Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|Hindustan times India's most stylish 2019 Awards||Hottest stylista||Won|
|SIIMA Film Awards||Best Actor (Critics) - Telugu||Geetha Govindam||Won|
|Popular Celebrity on Social Media||Won|
- Shalini J. R. (9 May 2018). "Vijay Deverakonda celebrates his birth in a unique way". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- Chowdhary, Y. Sunita (17 February 2015). "This film came at the right time". The Hindu. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Serial kisser Deverakonda is the Emraan Hashmi of Telugu cinema".
- Vyjayanthi Network (15 January 2015). "Yevade Subramanyam Theatrical Trailer - Nani, Malavika Nair". Retrieved 30 August 2017 – via YouTube.
- P Kirubhakar. "SIIMA 2019: Vijay Deverakonda and Keerthy Suresh win big. See pics - Movies News". Indiatoday.in. Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- "Vijay Deverakonda: I want to create a platform for new talent". The Indian Express. 5 November 2019. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- "Vijay Deverakonda - Forbes India Magazine". Forbes India. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- "Homegrown actor Vijay Deverakonda redefines 'Rowdy'". The Indian Express. 17 July 2018. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "Vijay Devarakonda likes to call it 'Rowdy'". First post. 5 October 2018. Retrieved 4 August 2019.
- "NDTV Movies: Regional-Movies - Tamil Movies - Telugu Movies - Bengali Movies - Latest Movie News - Celebrity Gossip". movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- Chowdhary, Y. Sunita (9 February 2015). "An eye for story". The Hindu. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- Vyjayanthi Network (21 February 2015). "Swapna Dutt Speech - Yevade Subramanyam Audio Launch Live - Nani, Malavika Nair". Retrieved 30 August 2017 – via YouTube.
- Radiokhushi. "'Evade Subramanyam' says Nani". www.radiokhushi.com. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "The Times Group". epaperbeta.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Pelli Choopulu bags two national awards; is 'best film' in Telugu". Times of India. 8 April 2017.
- "Women's groups protest against 'Arjun Reddy' in Vijayawada, demand ban on film's screening". The News Minute. 1 September 2017. Retrieved 3 September 2017.
- "Arjun Reddy movie review: Intense, raw and unbelievably honest. 5 stars". Hindustan Times. 26 August 2017. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "'NOTA' Worldwide Closing Collections - Disaster". Telugu360.com. 27 October 2018. Retrieved 28 October 2018.
- "Vijay Deverakonda's new film rolls out!". Deccanchronicle.com. 21 October 2018. Retrieved 17 August 2019.
- "Vijay Devarakonda and Malavika Mohanan's Hero gets launched; biker Rajini Krishnan to train the Hero!". in.com. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- Coutinho, Natasha CoutinhoNatasha; May 20, Mumbai Mirror | Updated; 2019; Ist, 11:51. "Malavika Mohanan and Vijay Devarakonda in Anand Annamalai's Hero". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 24 May 2019.
- "2018 Celebrity 100". Forbes India. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "100 Greatest Performances of the Decade". 100 Greatest Performances of the Decade. Retrieved 26 November 2019.
- "Vijay Deverkonda Turns Producer, Announces Debut Production Meeku Maathrame Cheptha". News18. 29 August 2019. Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- "Winners list of Behindwoods Gold Medal Awards 2018". 17 June 2018.
- "Dear Comrade will not see Hindi version". New Indian Express. 13 July 2019. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
- "Vijay Devarakonda's World Famous Lover". Telugu 360 Indian. 17 September 2019. Retrieved 17 September 2019.
- "Meeku Mathrame Cheptha teaser: Vijay Deverakonda's maiden production sees Tharun Bhascker as a lying bloke". Firstpost. 7 September 2019. Retrieved 16 October 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vijay Devarakonda.|