Vijay at the press meet of NOTA in 2018
Vijay Sai Deverakonda|
9 May 1989
Vijay Deverakonda (born Vijay Sai Deverakonda 9 May 1989) is an Indian film actor known for his works in Telugu cinema. Vijay made his film debut in 2011 with Ravi Babu's romantic comedy Nuvvila (2011), but he gained recognition with his supporting role in the coming-of-age drama Yevade Subramanyam (2015).
Vijay gained stardom by playing the lead role in the 2016 blockbuster romantic comedy Pelli Choopulu, which won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Telugu and the Filmfare Award for Best Film - Telugu. Vijay has since starred in lead roles in critical and commercial successes such as Arjun Reddy (2017), Mahanati (2018), and Geetha Govindam (2018), some of which rank among the list of highest-grossing Telugu films. His performance in Arjun Reddy won him several accolades, including the Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu. Vijay has established himself as one of the leading stars in Telugu cinema, and he affectionately refers to his fans as 'Rowdies'.
In 2017, Hyderabad Times, Vijay Deverakonda was listed in 2nd position among most desirable men in Tollywood pushing behind Prabhas, Mahesh Babu, Ram Charan and Allu Arjun.
Early life and education
Vijay Deverakonda was born to Telugu theatre artist Deverakonda Govardhan Rao and Deverakonda Madhavi in Achampet, Nagarkurnool district, Telangana. Vijay did his schooling at Sri Sathya Sai Higher Secondary School, a residential school at Puttaparthi. He studied there till his 10th grade. He did his intermediate at Little Flower Junior College and Bachelors Degree in Badruka College of Commerce.
Early career and struggle (2011-2015)
Deverakonda made his film debut by playing a cricketer opposite Yami Gautam in Ravi Babu's romantic comedy Nuvvila in 2011, and then had a small cameo role in Sekhar Kammula's Life is Beautiful. Both films were decently successful but failed to give Deverakonda much recognition. There he was introduced to an assistant director at the time, Nag Ashwin, who later cast him in a supporting role for the 2015 movie Yevade Subramanyam alongside actor Nani. The film was produced by the daughters of Ashwini Dutt, a producer in the Telugu film industry. Priyanka Dutt backed him, and once shooting started, Swapna Dutt signed him onto her company. The film went on to be a critical and commercial success, and Deverakonda won high praise for his diction, energy, and role in the movie. This movie finally gave him a much-desired break in Telugu cinema.
Success and stardom (2015-present)
Vijay's first lead role was in Pelli Choopulu, a romantic coming-of-age entertainer directed by Tharun Bhascker Dhaassyam, with Ritu Varma as the female lead. The film went on to be commercially successful and won the Best Feature Film in Telugu[disputed ] at the 64th National Film Awards as well as the Filmfare Award for Best Film - Telugu. He received praise for his realistic portrayal of a lazy and unmotivated chef. He then starred in a masala entertainer, Dwaraka in 2017. His next film Arjun Reddy received praise and criticism alike for being very bold and radical. Vijay's portrayal as a self-destructive, short-tempered, and alcoholic surgeon received critical acclaim, which led to him winning numerous awards, including the Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu. Following the Arjun Reddy, Vijay had a release Ye Mantram Vesave, which was delayed for 5 years and finally released. He then starred in Mahanati, a biographical period film around life of actress Savitri. He won acclaim for playing a charismatic and easy going photographer. Deverakonda's next release in 2018 was Geetha Arts' romantic comedy Geetha Govindam, in which he starred as an innocent and nervous college professor. Deverakonda received praise for playing a universal character after an aggressive role in Arjun Reddy. His next projects include UV Creations' supernatural comedy thriller Taxiwala opposite Malavika Nair, a bilingual film NOTA opposite Mehreen Pirzada, directed by Iru Mugan fame Anand Shankar, and Dear Comrade alongside Rashmika Mandanna.
|| Denotes films that have not yet been released|
• All the films are in Telugu language, unless otherwise noticed.
|2012||Life Is Beautiful||Ajay||Cameo appearance|
|2015||Yevade Subramanyam||Rishi||Supporting role|
|2016||Pelli Choopulu||Prasanth||First Lead role •
National Film Awards
•Best Film & •Best Screenplay
|2017||Dwaraka||Erra Srinu /
Sri Krishnananda Swamy
|Arjun Reddy||Dr. Arjun Reddy Deshmukh||Filmfare Award for Best Actor - Telugu|||
|2018||Ye Mantram Vesave||Nikki|
|Mahanati||Vijay Anthony||Bilingual in Tamil as
|Ee Nagaraniki Emaindhi||Himself||Cameo appearance|
|Geetha Govindam||Vijay Govind|
|NOTA||Seenu||Bilingual in Tamil|
|2019||Dear Comrade||TBA||Pre Production|||
Awards and Nominations
|2017||Filmfare Awards South for Best Actor - Telugu||Arjun Reddy||Won|
|Zee Telugu Golden Awards for Best Actor|
|Behindwoods Gold Medal - The South Indian Sensation|
- "'This film came at the right time'". thehindu.com. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Serial kisser Deverakonda is the Emraan Hashmi of Telugu cinema".
- Vyjayanthi Network (15 January 2015). "Yevade Subramanyam Theatrical Trailer - Nani, Malavika Nair". Retrieved 30 August 2017 – via YouTube.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. "Vijay turns most desirable man of 2017, beating Prabhas, Mahesh, Ram Charan". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 2018-09-04.
- "Vijay Devarakonda Life story, Film Career and agreements, Vijay Films list". wiki.meramaal.com.
- "Ravi Babu with Vijay Deverakonda?". gulte.com. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- "NDTV Movies: Regional-Movies - Tamil Movies - Telugu Movies - Bengali Movies - Latest Movie News - Celebrity Gossip". movies.ndtv.com. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "An eye for story". thehindu.com. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- Vyjayanthi Network (21 February 2015). "Swapna Dutt Speech - Yevade Subramanyam Audio Launch Live - Nani, Malavika Nair". Retrieved 30 August 2017 – via YouTube.
- Radiokhushi. "'Evade Subramanyam' says Nani". www.radiokhushi.com. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "'Yevade Subramanyam' Review: Yes, He Is Worth The Find". greatandhra.com. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "The Times Group". epaperbeta.timesofindia.com. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "Women's groups protest against 'Arjun Reddy' in Vijayawada, demand ban on film's screening". The News Minute. 2017-09-01. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- "Arjun Reddy movie review: Intense, raw and unbelievably honest. 5 stars". Hindustan Times. 2017-08-26. Retrieved 2017-08-27.
- "Taxiwala Postponement News".
- "Winners list of Behindwoods Gold Medal Awards 2018". 17 June 2018.
- "Vijay Deverakonda to star in 'Dear Comrade' directed by Bharat Kamma". 11 May 2018.