|Born||22 September 1948
Beawar, Rajasthan, India
|Awards||2014 - Canadian Award for Telecommunications Research
2012 - IEEE Canada W.S. Read Outstanding Service Gold Medal
2011 - Advance Computing and Communications Society Foundation Award
2010 - IEEE Canada Outstanding Engineering Educator Award
2007 - IEEE Canada Reginald Fessendan Medal
2005 - IEEE VT Soc. Chairman’s Award
2004 - Thomas W. Eadie Medal
2004 - IEEE VT Soc. Avant Garde Award
2002 - IEEE Leon K. Kirchmayer Graduate Teaching Award
2000 - IEEE Third-Millennium Medal
1999 - IEEE Haraden Pratt Award 
1996 - Larry K Wilson Transnational Award
1995 - McNaughton Gold Medal 
1993 - Science Council of BC, Gold Medal in Engg. and Applied Sciences
1990 - Engineering Institute of Canada, John B. Sterling Medal
1984 - IEEE Centennial Medal
Vijay K. Bhargava (विजय भार्गव; born September 22, 1948) is a researcher and Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of British Columbia (UBC). He served the department as its Head for 5 years (July 2003-June 2008). Before moving to UBC, Dr. Bhargava was a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at University of Victoria.
Dr. Bhargava received his B.Sc. from Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario in 1970. He received his M.Sc. and Ph.D. from the same university in 1972 and 1974 respectively. He has been appointed in regular and visiting positions at the University of Victoria (UVic), Indian Institute of Science, University of Waterloo, Concordia University, Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, UNIDO, NTT Wireless Comm. Labs, Tokyo Institute of Technology, University of Indonesia, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, the University of Hong Kong and City University of Hong Kong.
Dr. Bhargava was the founder and president of Binary Communications Inc. from 1983 to 2000. He is a co-author/co-editor of several books including Green Radio Communication Networks (2012),[Note 1] Digital Communications by Satellite: Modulation, Multiple Access, and Coding (1981),[Note 2] Cooperative Cellular Wireless Communications (2011),[Note 3] Reed Solomon Codes and their Applications (1994),[Note 4] Communications, Information and Network Security (2003)[Note 5] and Cognitive Wireless Communication Networks (2007).[Note 6]
Dr. Bhargava is Fellow of the IEEE and is active in the same. He has served as the President of the Information Theory Society, VP for Regional Activities Board, Director of Region 7, Montreal Section Chair and Victoria Section Chair. He is a past member of the Board of Governors of the IEEE Communications Society (ComSoc) and the IEEE Information Theory Society. He was nominated by the IEEE BoD as a candidate for the office of President-Elect in 1996 and 2002. He was the editor-in-chief of the IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications from 2007-2009. He also served the IEEE Communications Society as the Director of Journals. Vijay Bhargava is the current President of the IEEE Communications Society.
In September 2008, the "International Workshop on Advances in Communications (VijayFest 2008)" was organized in honour of the distinguished career of Dr. Bhargava on the occasion of his sixtieth birthday. In 2009, Dr. Vahid Tarokh, professor at Harvard University, dedicated his edited book New Directions in Wireless Communications Research to Dr. Bhargava "in deep respect and admiration for his over 30 years of extraordinary leadership and innovation in the field of communications research".
Dr. Bhargava has been actively involved in a number of conferences, reviving the IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, and founding the IEEE Pacific Rim Conference held at the University of Victoria during odd numbered years.
- "Awards Presentation Booklet, 25th Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering." (PDF).
- "Vijay Bhargava receives IEEE Outstanding Service Gold Medal.".
- "Vijay K. Bhargava is the ACCS-CDAC Foundation Award winner for 2011.".
- "IEEE Leon K. Kirchmayer Graduate Teaching Award Recipients".
- "Engineering Prof Wins International Graduate Teacher Award".
- "1999 IEEE Haraden Pratt Meritorious Service Award".
- "IEEE Haraden Pratt Award Recipients" (PDF).
- "McNaughton Medallist Biographies".
- "Vijay K. Bhargava". IEEE Global History Network. IEEE. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- "Hossain, E., V.K. Bharagava and G.P. Fettweis (Eds.), Green Radio Communication Networks, Cambridge University Press, July 2012 (440 Book pages).".
- "Bhargava, V.K., D. Haccoun, R. Matyas and P. Nuspl, Digital Communications by Satellite: Modulation, Multiple Access, and Coding, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, Dec. 1981, (592 book pages). Into third printing. Japanese translation of the book published by Japan Technology and Economics Center, Inc., Tokyo, 1984. Chinese translation of the book published by Electrical Engineering Publishing House, Beijing, 1987".
- "Hossain, E., D.I. Kim and V.K. Bhargava (Eds.), Cooperative Cellular Wireless Communications, Cambridge University Press, March 2011 (542 Book pages).".
- "Wicker, S. B., and V.K. Bhargava, (Eds.), Reed–Solomon Codes and their Applications, IEEE Press, New York, 1994 (336 Book pages). Now available form Wiley".
- "Bhargava, V.K., H.V. Poor, V. Tarokh and S. Yoon (Eds.), Communications, Information and Network Security, Springer Publications, 2003 (416 Book pages)".
- "Hossain, E., and V. K. Bhargava (Eds.), Cognitive Wireless Communications Networks, Springer Publication, 2007 (440 Book pages)".