Vijay P. Bhatkar
Vijay Pandurang Bhatkar
11 October 1946
|Known for||Architect of PARAM series of Supercomputers|
Vijay Pandurang Bhatkar (born 11 October 1946) is an Indian computer scientist, IT leader and educationalist. He is best known as the architect of India's national initiative in supercomputing where he led the development of Param supercomputers. He is a Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri and Maharashtra Bhushan awardee. Indian computer magazine Dataquest placed him among the pioneers of India's IT industry. He was the founder executive director of C-DAC and is currently working on the developing Exascale supercomputing mission for India.
Bhatkar has been chancellor of Nalanda University, India since January 2017. Prior to that, he served as the Chairman of Board of Governors of IIT Delhi from 2012 to 2017.Currently he is serving as the Chairman of Vijyana Bharti, a non profit organization of Indian scientists.
Vijay Bhatkar was born on 11 October 1946 in Muramba, Akola district, Maharashtra, India. He received his Bachelor of Engineering from Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology in 1965, his Master of Engineering in from Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda in 1968, and his Ph.D. in Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, in 1972.
Bhatkar is best known as the architect of India's national initiative in supercomputing where he led the development of Param supercomputers. He developed the first Indian supercomputer, the PARAM 8000, in 1991 and later the PARAM 10000 in 1998. Based on the PARAM series of supercomputers, he built the National Param Supercomputing Facility (NPSF) which is now made available as a grid computing facility through the Garuda grid on the National Knowledge Network (NKN) providing nationwide access to High Performance Computing (HPC) infrastructure. Currently, Bhatkar is working on exascale supercomputing via the capability, capacity and infrastructure on NKN. He has also been involved with ICT initiatives such as the development of GIST multilingual technology, MKCL’s computer literacy programme for computers and Education to Home (ETH) for providing coaching on ICT related examinations.
Bhatkar has played significant role in forming several national institutions and research centers including Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), the Electronics Research and Development Centre (ER&DC) in Thiruvananthapuram, Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Kerala (IIITM-K), the ETH Research Laboratory and International Institute of Information Technology (I2IT) in Pune, Maharashtra Knowledge Corporation (MKCL) and the India International Multiversity.  He has served as a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee to the government of India, CSIR governing body, IT Task Force, and eGovernance committee chairman of the governments of Maharashtra and Goa. He also serves as the president of Vijnana Bharati.
In 2016, Bhatkar was appointed as the Chairperson of the Science & Engineering Research Body (SERB) . In January 2017, Bhatkar was appointed as the Chancellor of the Nalanda University. He is also the Founder Chancellor and Chief Mentor of Multiversity. Dr. Vijay Bhatkar has served as the Chairman of Board of the Governors of IIT-Delhi (2012-2017), Chairman of the ETH (Education To Home) Research Lab, Chairman of the Board of Management of Government College of Engineering, Amravati, Chancellor of D. Y. Patil University, and National President of Vijnana Bharati, a People's Science Movement of over 6,000 scientists across India.
Bhatkar has authored and edited over 12 books and 80 technical and research papers and addressed several university convocations, international and national conferences and conventions and public functions.
- Padma Bhushan (2015)
- Ramanuja Trust Award (2007) 
- FICCI Award (1983) 
- Petersburg Prize (2004) 
- Padma Shri (2000)
- Priyadarshni Award (2000)
- National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) Award (1984–85) 
- Gold Medal Award of Indian Geo-technical Society (1976) 
- Electronics Man of the Year (1992) 
- Sitaram Jindal Foundation Award-2012 for applying science and technology at the grassroots level.
In 2011, Bhatkar received an honorary doctorate from DY Patil University. In 2014, he was awarded an honorary Ph.D from Gujarat Technological University and a D.Litt. degree from Nagpur University. 
- "The Little Known Story of How India's First Indigenous Supercomputer Amazed the World in 1991". The Better India. 13 January 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Padma Awards". Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- "Architect of India's first supercomputer 'Param' to head Nalanda University". DNA. 28 January 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "NVIDIA, IIT collaborate to develop supercomputer". Rediff.com. December 22, 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Dr.Vijay P Bhatkar - A rare interview to MoneyLIFE". August 25, 2008. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Profile of Dr. Vijay Pandurang Bhatkar". Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Easy access to coaching, a boon for competitive exam aspirants | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". DNA. 9 December 2010. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Yesterday's supercomputers are today's laptops: Bhatkar". Live Mint. 21 November 2012. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "Father of India's first supercomputer becomes Nalanda University's Chancellor". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Dr. Vijay Bhatkar". Action For India. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Much to be done, says Padma awardee Bhatkar - Times of India". The Times of India. January 25, 2015. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Vijay Bhatkar, Head of RSS-Affiliated Science Body, Named Nalanda University Chancellor". January 28, 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Vijay Bhatkar to remain in RSS body". The Hindu. January 29, 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Architect of India's supercomputer appointed Nalanda University chancellor". Hindustan Times. 27 January 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "Vijay Bhatkar, architect of India's first super computer 'Param', to head Nalanda University". India TV News. 28 January 2017. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "IIT-Delhi: Scientist Vijay Bhatkar to head the board of governors - Times of India". The Times of India. May 3, 2012. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "APJ Abdul Kalam to confer honorary doctorate to Ujjwal Nikam". DNA. 17 May 2011. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "GTU honours 143 with gold medals". Ahmedabad Mirror. January 17, 2014. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- Ganjapure, Vaibhav (19 March 2013). "Nagpur University considering Doctor of Literature to scientist Vijay Bhatkar - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
- "100th convocation of Nagpur University (RTMNU) today". September 26, 2014. Retrieved 3 July 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vijay Bhatkar.|