Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Vijay Shekhar Sharma
|Born||8 July 1978|
Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Education||Delhi College of Engineering (now Delhi Technological University)|
|Known for||Founder & CEO of Paytm|
|Net worth||US$2.3 billion (September 2020)|
Vijay Shekhar Sharma (born 1978) is an Indian billionaire businessman. He is the founder of financial technology company Paytm. Sharma was ranked as India's youngest billionaire in 2017 by Forbes with a net worth of $2.1 billion. He was in the list of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people in 2017.
Education and career
Sharma has a bachelor's degree in electronics and communication engineering from Delhi College of Engineering (now DTU). In 1997, while in college, he started the website indiasite.net, and sold it two years later for $1 million.
In 2000, he started one97 Communications which offered mobile content including news, cricket scores, ringtones, jokes and exam results. One97 is the parent company of Paytm, which was launched in 2010.
Awards and recognition
- "CEO of the Year" by the SABRE Awards, 2015
- "Most Coveted ‘India’s Innovative CEO" Award, 2015 
- The Exchange4media Group, Impact Person of the Year, 2016
- Honorary doctorate, Amity University Gurgaon, 2016
Vijay Shekhar Sharma is the son of a simple school teacher. He is married, with one child, and lives in Delhi, India. Vijay began his college life at the age of just 15 years and graduated as an engineer at 19 years. He was doing his college studies when he started a website indiasite.net and later on sold it for $1 million within few years.
- "Forbes profile: Vijay Sekhar Sharma". Forbes. Retrieved 25 September 2020.
- Jog, Natasha (20 August 2015). "Began College at 15, Has Billion-Dollar Firm at 37". NDTV.com.
- Giri, Manish Kumar. "Paytm's Vijay Shekhar Sharma ranked India's youngest billionaire in Forbes's latest list | Forbes India". Forbes India. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- "The 100 Most Influential People in the World". Time. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Began College at 15, Has Billion-Dollar Firm at 37". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- "The king of cash". Calcutta: The Telegraph.
- "Paytm's Vijay Shekhar Sharma ranked India's youngest billionaire in Forbes's latest list | Forbes India". Forbes India. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Vijay Sharma, Paytm: an for India". Financial Times.
- "Paytm's Vijay Shekhar Sharma Named as CEO of the Year by SABRE Awards 2015". Financial Express. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "Interesting facts of PayTM founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma". Business Insider.
- "ET Awards for Corporate Excellence: Paytm's Vijay Shekhar Sharma chosen as Entrepreneur of the Year". Economic Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Vijay Shekhar Sharma wins IMPACT Person of The Year 2016 Award". Exchange4media. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "Airtel's Sunil Mittal, Paytm's Vijay Shekar given honorary degrees by Amity University". DNA INDIA.com.
- "50 power people". India Today. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "Actor Ranveer Singh, Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma amongst the Most Influential Young Indians". The Economic Times. 8 July 2017. Retrieved 29 November 2017.