Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Vijay Shekhar Sharma
Vijay Shekhar Sharma in 2005
|Born||8 July 1978|
Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Education||Delhi College of Engineering (now Delhi Technological University)|
|Known for||Founder & CEO of Paytm|
|Net worth||US$2.1 billion (September 2018)|
Sharma was born in Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh. He cites Alibaba's founder Jack Ma and Masayoshi Son of Softbank as his inspirations. He started college at Delhi College of Engineering at the age of 20. In 1997, while in college, he started the website indiasite.net, and sold it two years later for $1 million.
In 2000 he started one97 Communications which offers mobile content including news, cricket scores, ringtones, jokes and exam results. One97 is the parent company of Paytm, which was launched in 2010.
In 2017, Sharma appeared in Forbes' World Billionaire's List, the youngest Indian on the list. 
Awards and recognition
- "CEO of the Year" by the SABRE Awards, 2015
- The Exchange4media Group, Impact Person of the Year, 2016
- Honorary doctorate, Amity University Gurgaon, 2016
- "Vijay Sekhar Sharma". Forbes. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- Jog, Natasha (20 August 2015). "Began College at 15, Has Billion-Dollar Firm at 37". NDTV.com.
- "Paytm's Vijay Shekhar Sharma ranked India's youngest billionaire in Forbes's latest list | Forbes India". Forbes India. Retrieved 2017-11-29.
- "Vijay Sharma, Paytm: an Alibaba for India". Financial Times.
- "Began College at 15, Has Billion-Dollar Firm at 37". NDTV.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "The king of cash". Calcutta: The Telegraph.
- BS Reporter (22 December 2015). "Do a jihad for independent internet, oppose Facebook Basics: Paytm's Vijay Shekhar Sharma".
- "Free Basics: Zuckerberg in talks with Paytm's Vijay Shekhar and others to seek support". ETBrandEquity.com. 30 December 2015.
- "Paytm's Vijay Shekhar Sharma ranked India's youngest billionaire in Forbes's latest list | Forbes India". Forbes India. Retrieved 2017-04-07.
- "Paytm's Vijay Shekhar Sharma Named as CEO of the Year by SABRE Awards 2015". Financial Express. Retrieved 17 September 2015.
- "ET Awards for Corporate Excellence: Paytm's Vijay Shekhar Sharma chosen as Entrepreneur of the Year". Economic Times. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Vijay Shekhar Sharma wins IMPACT Person of The Year 2016 Award". Exchange4media. Retrieved 14 December 2016.
- "Airtel's Sunil Mittal, Paytm's Vijay Shekar given honorary degrees by Amity University". DNA INDIA.com.
- "50 power people". India Today. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- "Actor Ranveer Singh, Paytm founder Vijay Shekhar Sharma amongst the Most Influential Young Indians". The Economic Times. 2017-07-08. Retrieved 2017-11-29.