||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Mehta in 2012
4 November 1934
Baroda, British India (present-day Gujarat, India)
|Awards||1975 Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
1985 Asia Pacific Film Festival, Best Actress: Party
1986 National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress: Rao Saheb
Vijaya Mehta (born 4 November 1934) is a noted Indian film and theatre director and also an actor in many films from the Parallel Cinema. She is a founder member of Mumbai-based theatre group, Rangayan with playwright Vijay Tendulkar, and actors Arvind Deshpande and Shreeram Lagoo. She is most known for her acclaimed role in film Party (1984) and for her directorial ventures, Rao Saheb (1986) and Pestonjee (1988). As the founder member of theatre group, Rangayan, she became a leading figure in the experimental Marathi theatre of the 1960s.
Early life and education
Her stage production of C. T. Khanolkar's Ek Shoonya Bajirao is considered as a landmark in contemporary Indian theatre. She introduced Bertold Brecht into Marathi theatre with adaptation of The Caucasian Chalk Circle (Ajab Nyay Vartulacha), and Ionesco with Chairs.
She collaborated on Indo-German theatre projects with German director Fritz Bennewitz including a traditional performance of Bhasa's Mudrarakshasa with German actors. Except Pestonjee, most of her work consists of film and television adaptations of her stage plays.
- Kalyug (1981) - Actor
- Smriti Chitre (1982, TV film) - Director, Actor
- Shakuntalam (1986, TV film) - Director
- Party (1984) - Actor
- Rao Saheb (1985) - Director, Screenwriter, Actor
- Haveli Bulund Thi (1987, TV film) - Director
- Hamidabai Ki Kothi (1987, TV film) - Director
- Pestonjee (1988) - Director, Screenwriter
- Lifeline (1991, TV Series) - Director
- Riding the bus with my sister (2005) - Actor
- Quest (2006) - Actor
- 1975 Sangeet Natak Akademi Award
- 1985 Asia Pacific Film Festival: Best Actress: Party 
- 1986 National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress: Rao Saheb
- 2009 Tanveer Sanmaan 
- Abhijit Varde: Daughters of Maharashtra: Portraits of Women who are Building Maharastra : Interviews and Photographs, 1997, p. 87
- "The return of Desdemona". Mumbai Mirror. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- "Shantata! Awishkar Chalu Aahe". Mumbai Theatre Guide. August 2008.
- Shanta Gokhale (26 November 2012). "Life at play". Pune Mirror.
- Awards imdb.
- "33rd National Film Awards". International Film Festival of India. pp. 28, 36. Retrieved 2014-06-22.