|Vijaya Nandasiri |
Ilukpitiya Mudiyanselage Vijaya Milton Lionel Nandasiri|
May 6, 1947
August 8, 2016 (aged 69)|
Colombo South Teaching Hospital, Kalubowila
|Cause of death||Cardiac arrest|
|Occupation||Actor, director, producer, singer|
Ilukpitiya Mudiyanselage Vijaya Nandasiri (6 May 1947 – 8 August 2016) was a Sri Lankan dramatist and actor. Considered a leading dramatist in Sri Lankan cinema, he was also a singer and producer.
He had a varied career beginning in theater and extending into film as a dramatic actor; his most recent roles were steeped in comedy and include credits in Sinhala sitcoms like Nonawaruni Mahathwaruni, Ethuma, Yes Boss and Kathura.
Life and career
Born in 1947 in a family of three, Nandasiri attended the Vidyakara Vidyalaya in Maharagama. He became interested in acting during his tenure there, and made his theater debut in 1966 in the stage drama Vidura-Diva produced by Amaradasa Gunawardena for the State Drama Festival. He first came to prominence from the movie Ran Kenda. He next obtained a role in Naribena, Jasaya saha Lenchina made by veteran drama producer Dayananda Gunawardena, who personally invited Nandasiri to become part of the cast.
Nandasiri was briefly a catering officer at the Katunayake Airport in the late-'60s as his acting career developed. His debut was in 1966, in Vuduru Diva by Amaradasa Jayathunga. He subsequently played in many stage dramas including Bakmaha Akunu by Dayananda Gunawardena, Thahanchi and Baka Thapas by Sathischandra Edirisinghe, Kontharaya, Wahalak Nathi Geyak and Sarade Sina by Prema Ranjith Thilakarathna and Bedde Goranaduwa by Ananda S. Wijesiri.
After Ran Kanda, Nandasiri was on demand, and starred in the or plays Subha Saha Yasa, Nariya Saha Keju Kella, Ekadipathi, Tharawo Egilethi, Rookada Raajje, Ran Kada, Sellam Badu Nowei, Kuweni and Hunuwataye Kathawa among others. Over the next years he played the character of king Maname in Prof. Ediriweera Sarachchandra's Maname more than 1000 times, and appeared in Singha Bhahu, Mahasara and Ratnawalee. Nandasiri finally achieved fame in 1971 in the play Ran Kanda. In all, he has done over 40 plays staged island-wide.
When he reached 46th anniversary as an actor in 2012, he celebrated his personal milestone by organizing Wijayanandaya' film festival from 20–25 March 2012 at John de Silva Theatre performing his most popular stage dramas.
Nandasiri simultaneously worked in all three aspects of cinema evenly. In last years, he worked on stage dramas like Malwadam Anawashyai, and Balloth ekka ba. He was working on with comedy drama Aluth horek one of Ajith Mendis at the Wayambe provincial council auditorium, Kurunegala, where he got sick next day and died.
In 1976, Nandasiri met K.A.W. Perera while staging T. B. Ilangaratne's Shailasanaya ශිලාසනය. Perera gave him his first film role in the movie Nedayo නෑදෑයෝ The character was a blind person(the song Sanasum Susuman Pavila සැනසුම් සුසුමන් පාවීලා is still a popular song among people as his starring in the scene was absolutely realistic), he has had roles in such films as Yasa Isuru, Sandakada Pahana, Bengali Walalu, Sasara and Rail Para. He won The Best Actor award for his role of the match maker in Sikuru Hathe and later in 2011 as the Best Comedian for King Hunther.
- No. denotes the Number of Sri Lankan film in the Sri Lankan cinema.
|1973||269||Mathara Aachchi||Police Officer|
|1976||334||Thilaka Ha Thilaka|
|416||Higana Kolla||Ronald Jayarathne|
|1981||483||Eka Dawasak Ra||Inspector Ranawaka|
|487||Amme Mata Samawenna||Rohana|
|1982||511||Yasa Isuru||Ajith Wickramasinghe|
|1983||544||Ran Mini Muthu|
|571||Monara Thanna 2|
|604||Ranmalige Wasanawa||Chandana / Senaka|
|621||Aya Waradida Oba Kiyanna|
|2003||1011||Pissu Trible||Sakalasuriya 'Mudalali'|
|2004||1035||Left Right Sir||Pinto|
|1037||Ohoma Harida||Namali's father|
|2006||1084||Ran Kevita||Suran's father|
|2007||1092||Sikuru Hathe||Mangala Jaya|
|1115||Ai Oba Thaniwela|
|2009||1122||Sir Last Chance||Detective Sir Last Chance|
|1137||Mago Digo Dai||Sargent C.K Perera / Mago|
|2011||1158||King Hunther||King Hunther / Ahethuka|
|2013||-||It's A Matter of Love|||
|2014||1217||Ko Mark No Mark||Mark / Minister Palutupana|
|2015||1237||Suhada Koka||Minister Rajamanthri|
|2016||1264||64 Mayam||Soysa. Posthumous release|
|TBD||Breaking News||Posthumous release|
|TBD||Ela Dabala||Benny / Bonny. Posthumous release|
He became famous as a comedy actor with the character of "Gunadasa Premachandra" in the teledrama "Nonawaruni Mahathwaruni" and later through Yes Boss as "Senarath Dunusinghe". He was also acted in numerous teledramas like Ethuma, Methuma, Kawda Bole Ethuma 1, Kathura, Yes Madam, Class Sinhala Class as "Chaminda Sir", Satakapata, Hathare Kanuwa, Bhagya. He also hosted children's quiz program Punchi Pahe Man which was telecasted on Sirasa TV.
Nandasiri's wife is actress Devika Mihirani, who herself holds the record to be the main actress in Sri Lanka's first ever tele-drama, Dimuthu Muthu. Their first encounter was at Sudarshi Visual Arts Center, where Mihirani studied for dancing. Nandasiri was the one who invited Mihirani for the drama Subha Saha Yasa in 1974. They have two children, Navanjana and Rasanjana Suchitra. His daughter lives in Australia and son in America. Navanjana was born on 13 November 1989. Navanjana is married to businessman Chaminda Gunaratne and they married on 28 December 2012 in Hilton Hotel, Colombo.
His son Rasanjana started to continue his father's legacy by making mark in stage dramas, where his father previously acted.
Illness and Death
Nandasiri was suffering from Diabetes over a long period of time, suffered by a wound on his leg. Due to severe infection, the leg was amputated and from that point, he was using an artificial leg.
- "Wijaya Nandasiri celebrates 46th anniversary". Lanka Help Magazine. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Comedy role did not affected for my dramatic roles". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "A Thespian with rare talent". The Island. 2000. Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-04-17.
- "The Gods Bless - විජය, දෙවියන් දුන් දායාදයකි". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "ස්වාභාවික ප්රහසනයක්". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Fiftieth performance of Vrushaba Raja". Sunday Observer. 2002. Retrieved 2007-04-17.
- "Malwadam-Anawashyai". Rangahala. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Balloth Ekka Ba". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Wijaya Nandasiri who created mirth among people and made them happy no more !". Lanka e-news. Retrieved 9 August 2016.[better source needed]
- "Vijaya Nandasiri Acting career". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Comedians of Sinhala Cinema". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 26 August 2017.
- "Sri Lankan Cinema History". National Film Corporation of Sri Lanka. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "'ඉට්ස් අ මැටර් ඔෆ් ලව්'". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 1 November 2017.
- "Maiden cinema direction by Jagath Epaladeniya". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Bhagya". Torana Video, 2016. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Which way year 2004 ?". Sunday Observer. 2004. Retrieved 2007-04-17.
- "Her face was her fortune". Sunday Observer. 2008. Retrieved 2016-08-08.
- "Life with Vijaya". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Its 30 years for our love". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Story related in the company of wife Devika by Wijaya Nandasiri who left us". Gossip Lanka News. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Daughter you are my soul". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Vijaya-Devika's daughter married". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Rasanjana on Stage on behalf of Vijaya විජය වෙනුවෙන් රසාංජන වේදිකාවට." Sarasaviya. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Vijaya Nandasiri passes away - නොකියාම ගියේ ඔබ නොගොස් බැරි නිසාමද?". Sarasaviya.
- "Veteran actor Vijaya Nandasiri passes away". ITN. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- "Veteran actor Vijaya Nandasiri passes away". News Radio.
- Vijaya Nandasiri's Biography in Sinhala Cinema Database
- “සුහද කොකා” සමඟ ඔබ හමුවට එන විජය නන්දසිරි
- ඔබ මළ පුවත ඇත්තක් වූ බොරුවක්ය
- මනමේ කුමරු මෙන්ම ජසයා වූයේ ද ඔහුය - සිනහව අතරින් මතුවුණු කඳුළ
- නොකියාම ගියේ ඔබ නොගොස් බැරි නිසාමද?
- විජය මතක සේයා
- විජයගේ වියෝව සැලවී කළුබෝවිල රෝහලට පැමිණි හිතවතුන් කිහිපදෙනෙක්
- අවසන් මොහොතේ ගරු බුහුමන්
- විජය සමුගෙන මාස දෙකයි පින්කම් රැසක්
- විජය වෙන්ව වසරයි
- දුරු රටක තනි වූ මිතුරන්ගේ ශෝකය