|Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Serves||Andhra Pradesh Capital Region|
|Location||Gannavaram, Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Elevation AMSL||82 ft / 25 m|
|Statistics (Apr 2017 – Mar 2018)|
Vijayawada Airport (IATA: VGA, ICAO: VOBZ) is a public international airportserving Andhra Pradesh Capital Region. The airport is located at Gannavaram in Vijayawada, where National Highway 16 connecting Chennai to Kolkata passes through.
The airfield located at Gannavaram served as an army base during the World War II, after which it was converted into a civilian airport. Air Deccan introduced a daily service between Hyderabad and Vijayawada in September 2003. Until 2011, the airport had only four flights a day operated by Kingfisher Airlines. In 2011, flag carrier Air India and private airlines Spicejet and Jet Airways introduced direct flights to the airport. Air Costa, a regional airline started operations in October 2013, with Vijayawada as its operational hub, which later suspended services.
Structure and amenities
The airport covers an area of 537 acres (217 ha) and the runway is 2,286 metres (7,500 ft) long. The airport has sixteen parking bays for ATR 72/Bombardier Q400/ Boeing 737/Airbus A320 of which 5 are exclusively for ATR72/Bombardier Q400.
To cater to the increasing passenger traffic, the foundation stone for a new terminal building was laid in October 2015. The terminal was completed in 14 months and inaugurated on 12 January 2017. The structure, built at a cost of rupees 135 Crores (19.3 million US Dollars), will act as an interim terminal before the International terminal is built.
The interim terminal and the ceremonial lounge spread over 12, 999 square metres includes check-in area, arrival hall, meet and greet service staircase, aviation lounge, and baggage make up area. The lounge is spread over 3,613 square metres. The terminal can handle up to 500 passengers at any point of time and has 18 check-in counters. Recently 5 Kiosk (Self check-in Machines) are placed in Airport for Passengers.
Cargo services have started from the airport in August, 2018.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India||Delhi, Hyderabad|
|Air India Express||Mumbai|
|Alliance Air||Bangalore, Hyderabad, Tirupati, Visakhapatnam|
|IndiGo||Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Singapore (begins 4 December 2018)|
|SpiceJet||Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad|
|Year||Passenger traffic||Aircraft movement|
Accidents and incidents
- On 28 August 1980, Vickers Viscount VT-DJC of Huns Air was damaged beyond economic repair when the nosewheel collapsed after the aircraft bounced three times on landing.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 February 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2018: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- Dangwal, Sandhya (2017-05-04). "Vijayawada Airport upgraded as international airport; to improve connectivity, cargo movement". India.com. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- Sarma, Ch. R. S. (12 January 2017). "Gannavaram airport named after Amaravati". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- "PM to inaugurate new terminal building at Vijayawada airport on January 12". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 15 January 2017.
- "One more flight for Vijayawada". The Hindu. 23 November 2005. Retrieved 18 September 2014.
- "Another pvt airliner to operate from Gannavaram". Times of India. Retrieved 14 March 2011.
- "Foundation stone of Vijayawada airport's new terminal laid". The Economic Times. 19 October 2015. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "Andhra Pradesh: Rename Gannavaram airport". The Times of India. 12 January 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "New airport terminal to be opened on Jan 12". The Hindu. 12 January 2017. Retrieved 12 January 2017.
- "SpeedTest". Speedtest. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Vijayawada to Singapore IndiGo flights from Dec 4". @businessline. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2017: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 April 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2017: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 April 2017. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2016: Annexure-III" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Traffic News for the month of March 2016: Annexure-II" (PDF). Airports Authority of India. p. 2. Retrieved 5 May 2018.
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 8 October 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vijayawada Airport.|