Vijayawada Municipal Corporation
Vijayawada Municipal Corporation
Gogula Venkata Ramana Rao
Sri J. NIVAS, I.A.S.
The Vijayawada Municipality was created on 1 April 1888. It was named as a selection grade municipality in 1960 and to corporation in 1981. In 1985 Gunadala, Patamata and Bhavanipuram village panchayats, Payakapuram, Kundavari Kandrika were merged in the corporation.
The area of Vijayawada Municipal Corporation is 61.88 km2 (23.89 sq mi). The Corporation is administered by an elected body headed by the Mayor. The corporation population as per the 2011 census was 1,039,518 with 527,307 males and a female population of 512,211. The present mayor is Koneru Sreedhar and the municipal commissioner is Sri J.Nivas, I.A.S.
The corporation provides protected drinking water to its public and is the forerunner in the state with every day supply of 39 million US gallons (150 megalitres) water to the city residents. The other services undertaken by the corporation authorities are: Internal roads extension; under ground drainage project with JNNURM; solid waste management which is recycled at waste to energy plants for power production; Health centers; Maternity hospitals; schools from elementary to high schools and even providing midday meals to students.
The Krishna river, groundwater and overhead tanks are the source of drinking water for the city residents. The underground and open draining systems are implemented for wastewater. There are also sewage treatment plants and the Budameru, Gundutippa, Islampeta and HB drains are utilized for draining out waste water. The Railway dumping yard is utilized for solid waste dumping and some of the solid waste produced is made useful by converting them into manures. There are a total of 32,262 Street lights in Corporation's area.
Certain municipal sporting infrastructure in the city are maintained by the corporation, which includes, Indira Gandhi Stadium, indoor stadiums, swimming pools and Gymnasiums. There are parks and open spaces as part of city greenery projects.
Awards and achievements
Accolades and awards won by VMC include:
- National Urban Water Award (2009)
- CRISIL Best Practices Award for the "Siti e-Governance" Project
- CSI Nihilent runner-up award was conferred by Ministry of Information and Technology
- Stockholm Challenge Award finalist
- ISO 9001 Certified for Quality Management System
- "Corporation details". Vijayawada Municipal Corporation. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "Vijayawada corporation". VGTM Urban Development Authority. Archived from the original on 21 August 2015. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "Mayor's Profile". Vijayawada Municipal Corporation. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "New VMC chief". Deccan Chronicle. 30 October 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "Chapter III : Findings: Metro-Cities of India" (PDF). Central Pollution Control Board. National Informatics Centre. p. 55. Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 September 2015. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Vijayawada CM Dash Board".
- "Water and sanitation Award". National Urban Water and Sanitation Awards. Ministry of Urban Development. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "Water Scada" (pdf). The Regional Centre for Urban and Environmental Studies. p. 9. Retrieved 17 June 2014.