Vijayawada railway division
|Locale||Andhra Pradesh, India|
|Dates of operation||1956–|
|Track gauge||5 ft 6 in (1,676 mm)|
|Length||958.926 kilometres (595.849 mi)|
Vijayawada railway division (formerly: Bezawada railway division) is one of the six railway divisions under South Central Railway zone of the Indian Railways. The headquarters of the division are located at Vijayawada.
Administration and jurisdiction
The division is located completely in the state of Andhra Pradesh. It has a broad gauge route of 957.23 km (594.80 mi) and a running track of 1,646.72 km (1,023.22 mi). It has a total electrified route of 733.25 km (455.62 mi) and a total track of 1,928 km (1,198 mi). The present Divisional Railway Manager is R.Dhanunjayulu.
Sections and branch lines
The Gudur–Duvvada (Vijayawada–Gudur and Vijayawada-Visakhapatnam), Vijayawada–Kondapalli and Samalkot–Kakinada Port are electrified and double-track railway lines. While, Gudivada–Machilipatnam and Bhimavaram–Narasapuram are non–electrified and single-track railway lines. Kondapalli railway station is the divisional interchange station.
The lines and sections under the jurisdiction of the Vijayawada division are listed below:
|Bhimavaram–Narasapuram branch line||Single||Diesel||29.46|
|Vijayawada–Nidadavolu loop line
|Samalkot–Kakinada Port branch line||Double||Electric||15.60|
- excl.– Station excluded / not under the divisional jurisdiction
- km– Kilometer measure of distance between two lines
- Vijayawada–Gudivada section (42.69 km) is covered in Vijayawada–Nidadavolu loop line. Duvvada–Gudur section covers, both Duvvada–Vijayawada section and Vijayawada–Gudur sections)
Categorization of stations
The division has a total of 161 stations with different categorizations. The below table depicts the stations under the Vijayawada division and their category. There are six stations which do not handle coaching traffic. They are Gunadala, Komarampudi, Krishnapatnam, Nidiguntapalem, Sarpavaram and Venkatachalam Road.
|Category of station||No. of stations||Names of stations|
|A Category||13||Anakapalli, Bhimavaram Town, Chirala, Eluru, Gudur†, Kakinada Town†, Nellore†, Ongole, Rajahmundry, Samalkot, Tadepalligudem, Tenali, Tuni|
|B Category||12||Annavaram, Bapatla†, Bhimavaram Jn, Gudivada, Kakinada Port, Kavali, Machilipatnam†, Narasapuram, Nidadavolu Junction, Palakollu, Singarayakonda and Tanuku|
|D Category||14||Akividu, Anaparti, Dwarapudi†, Godavari, Kaikaluru, Kovvur, Narsipatnam Road, Nidubrolu, Pedana, Pithapuram, Powerpet, Vedayapalem, Viravasaram and Yelamanchili|
- †– Adarsh Stations
Performance and earnings
On a daily average, the division operates a total of 274 passenger and 150.4 freight trains. There are 222 electric, 34 diesel locos, 838 coaches, 29 MEMU, 37 DEMU's. Vijayawada railway division generates much of its revenue from freight transport, which includes major commodities like coal, fertilisers, food grains, cement etc. Krishnapatnam and Kakinada Ports are the two main revenue earners for the division in freight transport. For the financial year 2014–15, the gross earnings of the division was a whooping ₹4,603.27 crore (US$640 million). It includes ₹764.85 crore (US$110 million) in terms of passenger transport and ₹3,710.68 crore (US$520 million) in freight transport. It recorded a 47.89% increase in its freight revenues as compared to its previous year which stands at ₹2,509 crore (US$350 million).
The financial year of 2015–16 earned 5.62 percent more gross revenue than its previous year.
The below table shows the revenue and serving traffic of both passenger and freight from 2011–12 financial year.
(in million rupees)
- Gross includes passenger, freight, sundry and other coaching revenues
|No. of passengers
|Volume of freight
Awards and achievements
The office of the Vijayawada Divisional Regional Manager was awarded the certified by the National Energy Conservation Award (NECA)-2013 based on the steps taken on energy efficiency. It also won 19 of 58 shields based its performance in 2013.
- KAUL, ASHA; SINGH, MANJARI (2012). NEW PARADIGMS OF GENDER INCLUSIVITY: THEORY AND BEST PRACTICES. PHI Learning Pvt. Ltd. p. 192. ISBN 9788120345133. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Vijayawada Division". Archived from the original on 3 June 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Vijayawada division – A Profile" (PDF). South Central Railway. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-01-28. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "System General Information" (PDF). South Central Railway. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Officials told to make Vijayawada rail station Divyang-friendly". The New Indian Express. The New Indian Express. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Traction Distribution". South Central Railway. Archived from the original on 3 June 2014. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Prabhu's boost to KCR'S temple tourism dream". The Times of India. Hyderabad. 26 February 2016. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Kakinada Port station to be opened next month". The Hindu. Kakinada. 31 August 2010. Archived from the original on 14 January 2012. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- Staff Reporter. "Doubling of Vijayawada-Bhimavaram line to boost economy". The Hindu.
- G. V. R. Subba Rao; V. Raghavendra (8 July 2014). "Politicians fail to make railway projects a reality". The Hindu. Vijayawada. Retrieved 28 September 2015.
- "Divisional inter change points on SCR division" (PDF). South Central Railway. p. 2. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 June 2014. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "Vijayawada Division System map" (PDF). South Central Railway. Retrieved 27 February 2016.
- "South Central Railway". www.scr.indianrailways.gov.in. Archived from the original on 3 June 2014. Retrieved 15 January 2016.
- "Jump in SCR Vijayawada division revenue". The Hindu. Vijayawada. 28 April 2015. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- "Ports major source of revenue for Vijayawada rail division". The Hindu Business Line. 5 October 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Srinivas, Rajulapudi (13 May 2013). "SCR Vijayawada Division shines". The Hindu. Vijayawada. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Vijayawada rail division registers 5.62 p. c. growth in earnings". The Hindu. Vijayawada. 31 December 2015. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Vijayawada railway division's revenue goes up at Rs 3280 crore". Vijayawada: The Economic Times. 14 April 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2015.
- "Performance of the earnings during 2015-16" (PDF). South Central Railway. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- "Vijayawada Div. to have 150 automatic railway ticket vending machines soon". The Hindu. Vijayawada. 14 April 2014. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- V.Raghavendra. "Vijayawada Railway Division office bags Certificate of Merit for saving power". The Hindu.
- Staff Reporter. "GM's shield for Vijayawada Railway Division". The Hindu.