10 June 1968 |
Uttar Pradesh, India
|Institutions||Nalsar University of Law
National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam
|Alma mater||Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak, Haryana, India|
|Notable awards||Commonwealth Fellowship (2009-10)|
Vijender Kumar (born 10 June 1968) is Professor of Law and as of November 2014[update] serves as Vice Chancellor of the National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJAA), an autonomous law school in Guwahati, Assam, India. With his experience as a legal professional at Bar Council of India, and also as an Academic administrator in Indian legal realm, Kumar is regarded as one of the authorities on the subject of Family law in India.
Education and career
Vijender Kumar received his primary school education in Chhutmalpur, a small village in the Saharanpur District of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. After completing his graduation and post graduation in law in 1993, Kumar went on to receive a doctoral degree in law with specialization in 'Hindu Law of Adoption'. Kumar started his teaching career as assistant professor at the National Academy of Legal Studies and Research (NALSAR) University of Law, Hyderabad, India, where he taught family law, legal research methodology and Hindu law of adoption to undergraduate and postgraduate scholars. In the year 2009-10, Kumar received the prestigious Commonwealth Fellowship and visiting professorship at Kings College London, England. In the February 2013, he was appointed as registrar of the Nalsar University of Law, where he served for more than a year. On 20 October 2014, Kumar assumed charge as Vice Chancellor of the National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam (NLUJAA) in Guwahati, Assam, India.
Kumar has worked on several projects including projects commissioned by the National Commission for Women, on “Coparcenary Rights of Women in Andhra Pradesh”  and "Study of Law and Nanotechnology: Exploring the Dimensions for Tackling the Nanotechnology Revolution with Special Relevance to Human Rights and Environment”. He had published more than 30 research articles on Hindu Law, and written several books including — Hindu Law of Adoption: Principles and Precedents released in 2004, Law Relating to Domestic Violence (2007). Other than this, Kumar has edited and revised more than 8 books on various subjects on Hindu Law and Consumer Law.
Notes and references
- "Breaking: Nalsar registrar Vijender Kumar inherits NLU Assam VC-ship (alongside looming hunger strike deadline)". Legally India. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Nalsar registrar Vijender Kumar becomes Vice-Chancellor of NLUJAA Assam". Law Mantra. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "NALSAR registrar selected as VC, NLU Assam, conceding to the students’ demands". Live Law. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Respect diversity in ideas and beliefs". The Hindu. 26 October 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Academic Profile of Prof. (Dr.) Vijender Kumar LL.M. Ph.D.Professor of Law & Head, Centre for Family Law, NALSAR University". NALSAR University of Law. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "NALSAR Gets Its New Registrar in Dr. Vijender Kumar". LAWCTOPUS. 3 March 2013. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "NALSAR Registrar, Vijender Kumar selected as new NLUJAA Vice Chancellor". Bar & Bench. 14 October 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Coparcenary rights of Women in Andhra Pradesh" (PDF). http://ncw.nic.in. National Commission for Women. Retrieved 2 December 2014. External link in
- "Professionalise legal education: Chief Justice". The Hindu. 8 February 2004. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- "Academic profile of Prof. (Dr.) Vijender Kumar, Vice-Chancellor of National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam". NLUJAA. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
|Vice Chancellor of National Law University and Judicial Academy, Assam
20 October 2014–present