Rural Road near Vikarabad.jpg
|• Total||31.70 km2 (12.24 sq mi)|
|Elevation||638 m (2,093 ft)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 (4,300/sq mi)|
|• Official||Telugu, Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||TS 34|
Vikarabad is a town in Vikarabad district of the Indian state of Telangana. It is located in Vikarabad mandal of Vikarabad revenue division. Vikarabad is famous for good Higher education colleges such as Sri Anantha Padmanabha college and Osmania University college vikarabad for self finanace.
Vikarabad was founded and is named after the fifth Paigah Amir (Premier noble) H.E. Nawab Sir Vikar-ul-Umrah Bahadur, Sikander Jung, Iqbal-ud-Daula and Iqtadar-ul-Mulk, Nawab Muhammed Fazaluddin Khan KCIE served as prime minister of Hyderabad State and Berar Province between 1893 and 1901.
Nawab Sir Vicar-ul-Umrah was the younger son of Nawab Rasheeduddin Khan Bahadur, Shams ul Umra, Amir e Kabir IÌI, Amir e Paigah IV and Co-Regent of Hyderabad. He built three beautiful Palaces and Mansions in Vikarabad, like The Vikar Manzil Palace (which presently houses the deputy collector/RDO Office and still belongs to the Paigah family heirs) , Sultan Manzil Palace named after his eldest son and Heir, H.E. Nawab Sultan ul Mulk Bahadur the last full Amir of Vicar ul Umrahi Paigah and the vicar Shikargah which he later presented as nazar or offering to his brother in law and nephew, H.H.Nawab Mir Mahboob Ali Khan, the VIth Nizam of Hyderabad.
Sir Vikar's Jagir Vikarabad, Dharur and Ananthagiri hills where know to be mini Hill station of the Deccan. He died in 1902 and is buried at the Paigah Tombs at Hyderabad.
Because of the air quality in Vikarabad, there was a saying, Vikarabad ka hawa, Lakhon Marizon ka dawa.
As of 2001[update] India census, Vikarabad had a population of 53,185. Males constitute 26,422 of the population and females 26,763. Vikarabad has an average literacy rate of 64%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 72%, and female literacy is 57%. In Vikarabad, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Government and politics
Vikarabad Municipality is the urban local body that oversees the civic needs of the town.
Vikarabad is an assembly constituency in Telangana State. MLAs representing the town have been:
- 2014 B. Sanjeeva Rao(Telangana Rashtra Samithi)
- 2009 G. Prasad Kumar (Indian National Congress)
- 2004 A.Chandra Shekar (Telangana Rashtra Samithi)
- 1999 A. Chandra sekhar (Telugu Desam Party)
- 1994 A. Chandra sekhar (Telugu Desam Party)
- 1989 A. Chandra sekhar (Telugu Desam Party)
- 1985 A. Chandra sekhar (Telugu Desam Party)
- 1983 K.R.K. Swami (Indian National Congress)
- 1978 V.B. Tirumalaiah (Indian National Congress)
- 1972 V.B. Tirumalaiah (Independent)
- 1967 A. Ramaswami (Indian National Congress)
- 1962 A. Ramaswami (Indian National Congress)
- 1957 Marri Chenna Reddy (Indian National Congress)
- 1957 A. Ramaswami (Indian National Congress)
- 1952 Marri Chenna Reddy (Indian National Congress)
- 1952 A. Ramaswami (Indian National Congress)
- Ananthagiri Temple in the village of Ananthagiri, 6 km far from Vikarabad Mandal.
- Ananthagiri Hills, a forest region which is home to the Anantha Padnabhanaba Swamy temple. and the source of the Musi River. Telangana has second largest tuberculosis hospital is located in the Ananthagiri hills.
On 11 January 2014, Reverend Sanjaeevulu, leader of the Friends of Vikarabad's Hebron Evangelical Church was stabbed seven times by strangers who claimed that they wanted to take part in a prayer group. Three days later, Sanjaeevulu died of his injuries in hospital.
- "District Census Handbook – Guntur" (PDF). Census of India. The Registrar General & Census Commissioner. pp. 14, 58. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- "Vikarabad district" (PDF). New Districts Formation Portal. Government of Telangana. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 October 2016. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2011 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "C&DMA". cdma.telangana.gov.in. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
- 
- "Rail track restored near Vikarabad". The Hindu. Retrieved 31 March 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vikarabad.|