Chef Vikas Khanna with Riyo Mori, Miss Universe 2007 at amfAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research in New York City
November 14, 1971 |
|Education||Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration|
|Cooking style||Indian cuisine|
Vikas Khanna (born November 14, 1971) is an award winning Michelin starred Indian chef, restaurateur, and cookbook writer, filmmaker, humanitarian and the judge of the TV show MasterChef India (season 2), Season 3 and Masterchef Junior. He is based in New York City. In 2011, People magazine named Khanna in the list of "Sexiest Men Alive" and also referred to him as "The Hottest Chef of America"
Early life and education
Born in Amritsar, India to Davinder and Bindu Khanna, their 2nd child. Khanna was born with misaligned legs and feet and wasn't able to run until he was 13. He was inspired by his grandmother who loved to cook, and her kitchen became a part of his foundational training. He has an elder brother, Nishant Khanna, and a younger sister, Radhika Khanna.
Khanna began developing recipes at a very young age and opened Lawrence Gardens Banquets to host weddings and family functions when he was 17. He graduated from the Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration from Manipal in 1991, and established SAANCH, a cultural festival gala, to bring together various foods and traditions from different parts of India. This festival has been an important event in the college's calendar.
Khanna started a restaurant on Dec 2nd, 2009, in Flatiron district of Manhattan, New York, called Junoon. On March 29, 2011, Khanna's restaurant Junoon received a favourable review from Sam Sifton in The New York Times.
In 2011, Vikas hosted the TV Show MasterChef India (season 2), an Indian competitive cooking game show based on the original British version of MasterChef, telecast on Star Plus. He also hosts the third season, MasterChef India (season 3).He also hosts the fourth season, MasterChef India (season 4).
In September 2007, Vikas Khanna was featured as the consultant chef on the Gordon Ramsay TV show on Fox. On October 13, 2009, Khanna appeared as a judge and Indian-cuisine specialist on the two-part season finale of Hell's Kitchen. On June 23, 2010, Khanna appeared on Throwdown! with Bobby Flay as a judge. Vikas Khanna was guest chef in the episode "The India Show" on The Martha Stewart Show telecast on March 4, 2011. On June 23, 2014, Vikas Khanna appeared on MasterChef Australia as a guest judge.
Khanna's Holy Kitchens film series explores the food sharing traditions in a spiritual context. The first film in the series True Business is based on the Sikh community kitchens, known as Langars, with an introduction by Deepak Chopra. The film premiered at the Sikh International Film Festival in October 2010. Other films in the Holy Kitchens series are based upon the food traditions of Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Zoroastrianism and Judaism. Karma to Nirvana, the second installment in the Holy Kitchens documentary series premiered at the New York Indian Film Festival in the US, on May 7, 2011. In March 2012, "Moon of Eid" the third film in the Holy Kitchens Series was released at Harvard University
Khanna is a Democrat and a supporter of US President Barack Obama. On May 14, 2012, Vikas cooked for a fundraiser hosted for President Obama at the Rubin Museum of Art in New York In September 2009 Khanna bought a house across from the United Nations Headquarters in New York City.
Khanna launched the foundation "South Asian Kid's Infinite Vision" (SAKIV) to focus on worldwide issues that demand urgent action such as Tsunami Relief, Hurricanes of the Gulf Coast, Haiti. In collaboration with charitable institutions, such as Save the Children, the foundation has hosted many events worldwide - from The Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt to the Taj Mahal in India.
“Cooking for Life��� was founded by Khanna in 2001 in New York with the world’s top chefs. In years the foundations has supported relief efforts around the world including 9/11, Tsunami Relief, Hurricanes of the Gulf Coast, South Asian Earth Quakes, Darfur, and Haiti.
Vision of Palate is his award-winning workshop developed to educate people with visual disabilities about the sense of taste, flavor and aromas.
Khanna is single. In an interview with Hindustan Times he said that he looks forward to having a family one day, but nothing as of now. He is a contributor to Deepak Chopra's Intent and The Huffington Post.
- Ayurveda - The Science of Food and Life
- Mango Mia - Celebrating the tropical world of Mangoes
- The Cuisine of Gandhi - Based on the beliefs of the Legend
- The Spice Story of India
- New York Chefs Cooking for Life - Cookbook
- Modern Indian Cooking
- Flavors First: An Indian Chef's Culinary Journey
- My Great India Cookbook
- Khanna Sutra: Food Lessons in Love
- Everyone Can Cook
- Savour Mumbai
- Young Chefs
- Return to the Rivers - Recipes and Memories of the Himalayan River Valleys with HH the Dalai Lama
- Bliss of Spices - The Essence of Indian Kitchen
- Hymns from the Soil- A Vegetarian Saga.
- Amritsar'- The Flavours of the City
- The Magic Rolling Pin
- World Feast - my Favourite Kitchen
- MasterChef India Cookbook - Best of Season 1, 2 and 3
- "Shaken & Stirred- A Non-Alcoholic Drinks Book"
- "Timeless Legacy- His Holiness the Dalai Lama"
- "Indian Harvest-Classic and Contemporary Vegetarian Dishes"
- Upcoming book(2017)-Edibles Sonnets
- The Milk Moustache
He was featured on the cover of Men's Health India Magazine - October 2012.
- Awarded the "Rising Star Chef Award by Star Chefs for his role in shaping the future of American Cuisine (2011)
On July 29, 2011, Khanna hosted dinner for the Hindu American Seva Charities Conference held at the White House organized by Anju Bhargava, who is a member of President Barack Obama's Advisory Council on Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.
Khanna was featured in the Top Sexy and Successful list of Anokhi Magazine in their 5th Anniversary Issue. Metro New York featured Khanna as Hottest Chef Around. In November 2011, Vikas was featured in the list of Sexiest Man Alive by People Magazine.
Khanna has received acclaim for his cooking style from the James Beard Foundation, and received the "Access to Freedom Award" in 2005 from SATH, and The Shining Star Award from "Just One Break, Inc."
Vikas Khanna has also been featured in Online Food and Wine Magazine PioneerChef.com 
- Holy Kitchens
- True Business
- SIKH INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 2010: FEATURE Vikas Khanna’s Holy Kitchens - True Business
- http://www.holykitchens.com/KarmatoNirvana.htm K
- The Economic Times: Vikas Khanna: Man behind Junoon, the famous Manhattan eatery with over three months wait list. December 1, 2013. Accessed February 12, 2015
- "Gadre Marine Export signs chef Vikas Khanna as brand ambassador". Financial Express. Financial Express. November 6, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.
- "Gadre Marine names chef Vikas Khanna as brand ambassador". Economic Times. Economic Times. Nov 19, 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.