|• M.L.A||Sunil Raut
SS (since 2014)
|• M.P.||Kirit Somaiya
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Vikhroli is a suburb of Mumbai. The suburb has a railway station by the same name on the Central Railway line. The station was built just before India's independence in 1947 to cater to the needs of the sprawling Godrej Complex in the vicinity. The railway line runs through the suburb dividing it into East and West, like many other areas in Mumbai.
Vikhroli lies somewhat in the centre of Mumbai and provides easy access to all cities through the roads that run through it. Agra Road, officially called the Eastern Express Highway connects it to Thane, Dadar, Chembur and Vashi. It is well connected by L.B.S. Marg on its western part which connects it to Bandra, Jogeshwari and other western suburbs. Around 80 percent of the population residing in Vikhroli are families of Godrej Employees making it a very close knit town, with every other person knowing each other. Kannamwar Nagar on the eastern side of the railway station is known for buildings built by the Maharashtra Housing and Area Development Authority (MHADA). Kannamwar Nagar holds the record of being the largest residential colony in Asia. For years, the Vikhroli telephone exchange covered the vast area network from Ghatkopar to Thane. A proposal for a bridge has been made, which is to be built over the Thane creek from Kannamwar Nagar off the eastern express highway to Kopar Khairane in Navi Mumbai, thereby providing a much needed third bridge linking Mumbai and Navi Mumbai. The popular bus routes operating from this suburb are 394 and 397 (to kannamwar nagar), 353 (to wadala), 354 (to dadar), 388 (to seepz depot) and 185 (to jogeshwari). From vikhroli west, Route No 7 (to Backbay) 387 Parksite to Ghatkopar Railway Station is the most patronised.
Vikhroli is one of the peaceful suburb of Eastern Mumbai. Vikhroli has the best residential areas in the suburbs of Mumbai which comprises Raj Legacy, Lok Gaurav, Godrej colony, Parksite colony and Surya Nagar, Vikhroli Station road( Vikhroli west),Vikhroli Village (East Indian Village), Godrej Multi storied Residential Complex, Tagore nagar, Kannamwar nagar & Hariyali village, thereby providing effective mobility to the resident.
Kannamwar Nagar is also one of the 56 Transit Camps developed by MHADA in Mumbai.
Tagore nagar and Kannamwar nagar Vikhroli Station are on the Eastern Side were Housing Board buildings are now changing into multi storied buildings now residential areas are well covered up with greenery, playgrounds and gardens. Hariyali Village is the area in between eastern sides the Railway lines and the Tagore nagar housing Board Buildings , till the late fifties in it was farming plots then converted with any permissions , single stories chawls, Tagore nagar and Kannamwar nagar together has good number of residential Buildings. Builders such as Godrej are approaching to change the face of Vikhroli. Tagore nagar open Vegetable market is the cheapest and fresh produce of vegetables. In the next 5 years Tagore Nagar will be an emerging locality as many builders are eyeing on its development.
Parksite is well known for its diverse population living together in harmony. There are 28 Municipal Buildings in Parksite Colony and several B.M.C. Quarters. The slum is the biggest problem for Parksite Colony. Many re developers are trying to develop Parksite and get it slum free.
There are also buildings coming up called Mayfair Hillcrest, by the Mayfair group. They are buildings of 18 story with swimming pool and other amenities. This is located in Kailash Complex road which connects Vikhroli to Powai.
- Godrej Memorial Hospital
- Emergency Ambulance : +91 022 25749400.
- ICU : +91 022 66417141, +91 022 66417142, +91 022 25749300
- Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Hospital
- contact : +91 022 25784267
- Address : Tagore Nagar, Vikhroli East, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Mahatma Phule Municipal Hospital centre
- Address : Kannamwar Nagar Number 2
Soonabai Pirojsha Godrej Marine Ecology Centre (SPGMEC) helps you to explore the mangroves through guided Nature trails in Mangroves, scenic views from towers, Visit to marine aquarium Interactive displays, posters, games in the Interpretation centre Presentations, talks and filmshows on Mangroves and associated wildlife Apart from Mangrove Awareness program Centre has developed modules on different topics such as
- Biodiversity Conservation
- Mangroves as Bio resources
- Combating Global Climate Change
- Butterflies around us
- Birds in Mangrove Environment
- Solid Waste Management
- Medicinal plants
- Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala College.
Sunil Tiwari has done Bsc in physics first class, got master degree from The Institute Of Science, CST. Also completed his PGDBM from Welingkar Management Institute, Matunga. Working for Hospitals in Mumbai.
- Udayachal High School, Vikhroli (East).
It is one of the best schools in Mumbai, focusing on all-round development of the students. Recently it received the International School Award 2012, conferred by the British Council, under its Connecting Classrooms programme.
- St. Joseph High School, Station road, Vikhroli (West).
ST Joseph’s School was founded in 1956 by the Archdiocese of Mumbai the school is located on Western side of Vikhroli Railway station , it is just a 02 minutes walk from the Railway Station
- Vikas High School, Kannamwar Nagar, Vikhroli (East).
- Shree Siddhi Vinayagar English High School, Tagore Nagar, Vikhroli (East).
- Asmita College of Law
- MODERN HIGH SCHOOL Park Site Colony, VIKHROLI (w)
It is the first Minority school in Parksite Providing Urdu & Semi-English Medium Education.
- vidyamandir highschool
- Anjuman Khairul Ilsam Urdu High School, Vikhroli
Er. Izhar Khan is one of the notable Alumni of the school. He was also the President of School's Alumni Association. Currently he is studying Masters of International Business in University of Glasgow, UK.
While traveling by Railway from CST, previous Railway station is Ghatkopar & next is KanjurMarg.
- 394 : Kannamwar Nagar 2 > Vikhroli station (Share auto available)
- 397 : Kannamwar Nagar 2 > Vikhroli station (Share auto available)
- 354 : Kannamwar Nagar 2 > Ghatkopar Bus Stn > Amar Mahal > Sion > Dadar T.T./Plaza > Shivaji Park
- 388 : Kannamwar Nagar 2 > Ghatkopar Bus Stn > Kamani > Saki Naka > J.B.Nagar/Chakala > MIDC Police Stn > Seepz Bus Stn
- 185 : Kannamwar Nagar 2 > Vikhroli Stn > Tagore Ngr 3 > Powai > Saki Naka > J.B.Nagar/Chakala > Andheri Stn (E)/ Teli Galli
- 353 : Tagore Nagar 5 > Ghatkopar Bus Stn > Pant Nagar > Amar Mahal > Sion > Dadar T.T.> Wadala Bus Depot
- '387 : Parksite Vikhroli W > Ghatkopar Rly Stn(w)
- '453 : Tagore Nagar 2> Wadala Bus Depot> Mulund Cheknaka
- '500 : VIKHROLI DEPOT 2> Airoli Bus Depot
- AS-3 : Cadbury Junction Thane> Vikhroli > Nehru Planetarium
- C-42 : Cadbury Junction Thane> Vikhroli > Sion, Mumbai
- 368 : Mulund Depot > Vikhroli > P.Thakre Udyan, Sewri
- 373 : Vaishali Nagar, Mulund > Vikhroli > Mahul Village
Roads connected to Vikhroli
Food and Entertainment
With many residential apartments and corporate offices in and around Vikhroli, there are many entertainment and food joints which cater to the largely young population here.
Among big retailers/departmental stores, the area is close to R-City Mall, D-Mart, Phoenix Market City mall, Home Depot and Magnet mall. Hiranandani Gardens (in Powai), which is one of the premium residential and commercial areas of Mumbai, is also within 5 km distance.
Some of the popular restaurants/food joints are:
- Pop Tate's
- The Hill Green
- Pizaa Season
- Shanghai Express
CBay Remote Services Pvt Ltd.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vikhroli.|