Viking Quest is a fictional TV show within a show in the TV series Entourage. It is referred to both by fictional characters and celebrities playing versions of themselves as a real show, and this conceit has been extended to promotional videos and a Flash game involving its star, Johnny Drama, outside of the show.
Within the show
In the television show Entourage, Viking Quest aired in 1997 on the Sci-Fi channel. The complete series was later released on DVD. The show seems to have developed something of a cult following, and is especially popular in France. In 2008, Viking Quest was re-released as a Special Edition DVD and promoted with a video game.
Vanessa Angel appeared as Angel in three episodes of Viking Quest. She then went on to star in a spin-off series called Angel Quest, which ran "5 times longer" than Viking Quest. This is a sly reference to the fact that in real life Vanessa Angel was originally cast as Xena in a three-episode arc for the television show Hercules: The Legendary Journeys. She dropped out; the part of Xena went to Lucy Lawless; and the subsequent spin-off series Xena: Warrior Princess went on to significantly eclipse its predecessor, both critically and commercially.
Set during the mid-10th century AD in the Orkney Islands, Viking Quest follows the exploits of Viking hero, Tarvold, as he and his clan sail the high seas. A legend in the making, Tarvold had become one of the most feared and notorious Vikings scarcely a year after he had grown his beard. It was then that he dared to steal the gold of Vali, Norse God of Revenge. His childhood friend and nemesis, Thorfinn Skull-Splitter, betrayed him and Tarvold was caught stealing the gold. As retribution for his deed, Tarvold was forced to loot and plunder in Vali's name. As he sailed the high seas doing Vali's bidding, Tarvold had to stay one step ahead of Thorfinn who constantly attempted to thwart Tarvold's progress and steal the treasure that he needed to repay his debt to Vali.
In real life
In September 2008, HBO and Fuel Industries produced a Viking Quest game website as part of a marketing campaign for the 5th season of Entourage. The site features a Flash game, and claims that a Viking Quest game is coming soon to consoles. It also claims that the show is being re-released on DVD.
- Dalton Ross Entertainment Weekly (2005-05-11). "EW review: 'Entourage' is a star - May 11, 2005". CNN.com. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- Strauss, Gary (2007-04-05). "'Entourage' men hug it out in a manly way". Usatoday.Com. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- Resumé of Entourage's Johnny "Drama" Chase
- Viking Quest - The DVD Box Set
- Viking Quest - The Most Incredible Show That Never Existed
- "Entourage". Off The Telly. 2006-11-19. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- Mentioned in "The Cannes Kids"
- "Kevin Dillon | Biography, Photos, Movies, TV, Credits". Hollywood.com. Archived from the original on 2013-01-25. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- Entourage - Drama vents about the new 'Viking Quest' video game
- This can be seen on a Viking Quest poster in the episode "I Love You Too".
- Episode "I Love You Too"
- Curtis, Charles (2005-07-28). "''Entourage'': Johnny finds love in geekland | Entourage | TV Recaps". EW.com. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- Johnny refers to this in the episode "I Love You Too".
- Eric mentions this in the episode "I Love You Too".
- In the episode "The Review", Johnny mentions that Viking Quest ran for a "full 22".
- In the episode "Busey and the Beach", one of Johnny's "fans" mentions this.
- Fuel Industries: Viking Quest Case Study Archived January 28, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- Fritz, Ben (2008-09-05). "HBO launches 'Viking Quest' game". Variety. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- Viking Quest Game