Viking Thunder Clap
The Viking Thunder Clap or Viking Clap is a football chant performed with a loud shout and a clap. The chant has been performed by fans of a number of clubs, but came to prominence during the UEFA Euro 2016, when fans of Iceland national team introduced their 'viking clap' or 'volcano clap' with a 'huh' chant.
The chant may have been inspired by the film 300 released in 2006. Some believed the chant was first used by fans of Scottish club Motherwell F.C., while others suggest it had been performed by fans of the French club Lens more than two decades prior. Fans of the Greek side PAOK have also chanted "PAOK" on the clap of hands since the mid 1990s. The version by Motherwell fans was passed on to the Icelandic fans when Motherwell faced Icelandic team Stjarnan in a Europa League game in 2014, and Icelandic fans then used it for the Iceland national team. During the UEFA Euro 2016, Iceland performed unexpectedly well and reached the quarter-finals, and the performance of the chant by their fans drew the attention of other European fans, who then also performed the chant. It has since been adopted by fans in many countries worldwide.
Fans of the following teams regularly perform versions of the viking clap:
- Canberra Raiders fans began using the chant in 2016 after the Icelandic version came to prominence. 
- Western Sydney Wanderers FC fans have chanted "West!" coupled with a clap since the club's inception in 2012. 
- Carolina Hurricanes perform a variant called "The Storm Surge."
- India national football team have started using the viking clap since Blue Pilgrims was formed. It was used by the Indian national team during both the 2019 AFC Asian Cup and 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification (AFC).
- Kerala Blasters
- Minnesota Vikings chant 'skol' rather than the 'huh' since 2016.
- Seattle Sounders perform a variant called "Boom, Boom, Clap" dating to before the club was reformed in 2009, chanting 'hey' rather than 'huh'.
- Toronto fans have performed the "Boom, Boom, Clap" chant since 2008.
- Vancouver Canucks used the 'Viking clap' at the final career home game for now-retired Swedish twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin on April 5, 2018.
- Bengaluru FC
- Nepal national under-23 football team started using viking clap during their 2019 South Asian Games football matches.
- Vietnam national football team also started using viking clap since the 2018 AFF Suzuki Cup final
- Atlanta United FC supporters have chanted "A - T - L" since they began as a MLS expansion team in 2017.
- "Iceland fans practise synchronised thunder clap ahead of Argentina match – video". The Guardian. Reuters. 16 June 2018.
- "That Viking feeling: Iceland 'thunderclap' takes Asian Cup by storm". France 24. 16 January 2019.
- "Iceland's Chant Is Mighty, but It Comes From Scotland — via Hollywood". The New York Times. 26 June 2018.
- "Iceland? Motherwell? Lens? Where did the 'thunderclap' originate?". The Guardian. 13 July 2016.
- "WATCH: Are Motherwell the inspiration behind Iceland's 'volcano clap'?". skysports.com. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- Davis, Callum (8 July 2016). "Revealed: the origin of Iceland's 'Viking Thunder-Clap' celebration". The Telegraph.
- Dutton, Chris (4 September 2016). "NRL what we learnt: The Viking Clap to return for Raiders finals after record-setting win". canberratimes.com.au. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- Helmers, Caden (21 August 2016). "NRL talking points: Raiders fans got nuts for 'Viking Clap' and the Josh Hodgson effect". canberratimes.com.au. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "NRL 2016 video: Canberra Raiders' fans do Viking clap before win over Parramatta Eels". foxsports.com.au. 21 August 2016. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- Helmers, Caden (24 August 2016). "NRL: Canberra Raiders Luke Bateman and Sia Soliola want the Viking Clap to stay". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "1, 2, 3, WEST!". West Sydney Football. Retrieved 28 August 2020.
- Smith, Michael. "Canes Have Fun With New Win Celebration". carolinahurricanes.com. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- Chaudhary, Srijon (12 June 2018). "Intercontinental Cup 2018: 5 things India gained from the Intercontinental Cup". sportskeeda.com. Archived from the original on 12 January 2019. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Watch: Sunil Chhetri leads incredible Viking clap with Indian fans post Thailand AFC Asian Cup win". Fox Sports Asia. 7 January 2019. Archived from the original on 12 January 2019. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Nelson, Dustin (20 January 2018). "Why Do Minnesota Vikings Fans Chant Skol?". Thrillist.
- Dowley, Conor (16 June 2018). "Iceland's Thunderclap fan celebration, explained". SBNation.
- West, Phil (26 November 2017). "Hear that at the beginning of Leg 2? It's the Viking thunder clap". MLS Soccer.
- Williams, Rob (6 April 2018). "Henrik Sedin wants Canucks fans to keep doing the Viking Clap". Daily Hive. Retrieved 27 October 2018.