Vikings! Of Middle England
|Vikings Of Middle England|
|Location||Leicester, United Kingdom|
|Period||Early Middle Ages
|Speciality||Combat reenactment, living history|
|Number of members||70–100
Vikings! of Middle England (also known as Tÿrslið) is a Viking re-enactment and living history group based in Leicester, UK. They portray the people who lived, travelled to and invaded Britain in the Viking-Age. The organisation once owned a scale replica Longship called Ratatosk. Tÿrslið's aim is to entertain and educate an audience using a mix of drama, pageant, historical context, demonstration and audience participation.
Vikings of Middle England perform at events throughout the UK, including at places of historical interest such as Rockingham Castle, carnivals, festivals and local events, and also at other visitor attractions such as Conkers.
Vikings of Middle England also provide displays and resources for education, at schools and for seminars. The organisation has lent expertise and kit to researchers for books, websites and conferences while also publishing articles on their website suitable for UK Key Stage 2 students.
Notable Members, Achievements and Performances
- Named in the 'Top Ten Re-Enactments for Family' by BBC CountryFile Magazine.
- Starred in the Kerry Food's 'Walls! Bring it On Britain!' advertising campaign in 2010.
- Dr. Gareth Williams, Curator of Early Medieval Coins at the British Museum is a former member.
- The author Tim Moore spent time with Vikings Of Middle England for his book I Believe In Yesterday.
- Performed in BBC's 'Blood of the Vikings' mini series (2001).
- Performed in 'Weapons that Made Britain' Shield episode (Lion TV for Channel 4, 2004).
- Performed in 'Warrior Queen — Boudica' (Indigo Films for History Channel, 2005).
- Performed in the music video for 'Assessment' by the Beta Band.
- Performed in 'Born of Hope' (Actors at Work Production).
- The Mercian Revolt: The Vikings of Middle England at Rockingham Castle., Skirmish Magazine, Issue 85
- Medieval Outlaws, Knights and Combat, Skirmish Magazine, Issue 81
- "Viking boat sets up home in garden of Hesketh Bank family"
- "Official Website"
- "Watch out for the Vikings at Rockingham Castle, Rutland & Stamford Mercury, 10th August 2011"
- "Viking invaders to swap longboats for narrowboats, Burton Mail, 16th March 2011"
- "Woodbridge Maritime Festival 2010"
- "'Wonderful opportunity' to unite for Our Leicester Day", Leicester Mercury, 7 September 2011
- "Vikings at Conkers!"
- "Vikings raid the Record Office!, Leicestershire Museums, 6th July 2011"
- "Coinage and History in the North Sea World, C. 500-1250: Essays in Honour of Marion Archibald (Northern World), Williams, G & Cook, B. Brill London 2005"
- "Soldier Grant, R. Kindersley Dorling 2009 London, p.330 (credits) "
- "History of Britain and Ireland, Grant, R. Kindersley Dorling 2011 London, p398 (credits)"
- "In the Footsteps of Ivarr the Boneless" by Mick Baker, drawn from the Channel 4 series and a feature by Geoffrey van Leeuwen, 30 November 2003
- "Town Couple are Vikings, Loughborough Echo, January 15th 2009"
-  Accessed April 2011
- "Bring it On Vikings", YouTube
- ,  Accessed 30 November 2011.
- "BOH Newsletter March 2009"