|Directed by||Lal Jose|
|Produced by||Lal Jose|
|Written by||Dr. Iqbal Kuttippuram|
|Starring||Dulquer Salman |
|Cinematography||Jomon T. John|
|Edited by||Ranjan Abraham|
|Distributed by||LJ Films|
Vikramadithyan is a 2014 Malayalam comedy-drama film co-produced and directed by Lal Jose. The film stars Dulquer Salmaan, Unni Mukundan and Namitha Pramod in the lead roles, along with an extended cameo appearance of Nivin Pauly. The screenplay is by Iqbal Kuttippuram, while Jomon T. John handles the cinematography. The music is composed by Bijibal. The film was released on 25 July 2014 and was a commercial success .
The film begins when Vasudeva Shenoy (Anoop Menon), a police constable by profession, proposes to his colleague Lakshmi (Lena) with a strong objection from his mother. In the meantime Kunjunni Menon (Santhosh Keezhattoor), a thief, who disguised as a police inspector, falls in love with Lakshmi. Kunjunni Menon then convinces Lakshmi and her family to agree to marriage. Lakshmi later comes to know that her husband had cheated her. Lakshmi and Kunjunni however pretend to have an amicable marriage as she gives birth to Adithyan (Dulquer Salmaan). On the same day Vikraman (Unni Mukundan) was also born to Vasudeva Shenoy and his new wife. Lakshmi further gives birth to two daughters. Kunjunni gets caught by Shenoy after committing a theft and was dragged to the jeep in front of his son (Adithyan). Adithyan becomes very depressed and refuses to accept his father. Kunjunni unable to face his son, commits suicide. Adityan (Dulquer Salmaan), Vikraman (Unni Mukundan) and Deepika Pai(Namitha Pramod) befriend each other as schoolmates and the story proceeds to their adulthood.
Faced with many hardships, Adithyan transforms into an intelligent man. He falls in love with Deepika and she reciprocates his feelings. In a string of events, Adithyan and Vikraman are in a competition for the SI (police) selections. Shenoy frames Adithyan with a crime he didn't commit, forcing Adithyan out of the SI selections. Adithyan runs away and returns many years later. The movie ends with a pleasant event where Adithyan emerges as new ACP with the help of Lokesh IAS (Nivin Pauly). The film ends with Adithyan and his family standing up against the people that once teased him as the "thief's son".
- Dulquer Salmaan as Assistant Commissioner of Police Adithyan Menon IPS
- Unni Mukundan as Sub Inspector Vikram Shenoy aka 'Vikraman'
- Namitha Pramod as Deepika Pai
- Nivin Pauly as Lokesh Kumar IAS (extended cameo)
- Anoop Menon as Vasudeva Shenoy, Vikraman's father
- Lena as Lakshmi Nair, Adithyan's mother
- Santhosh Keezhattoor as Kunjunni Menon, Adithyan's father
- Charmila as Vikraman's Mother
- Joy Mathew as Dr. Ramanath Pai, Deepika's father
- Sadiq as Ravi
- Sidhartha Siva as Advocate, Kunjunni's friend
- Liimal G Padath as Vikram Shenoy's Friend
- Jiyad Irani as Harbinder
- Gautam Pisharody as Samar
- Sana Althaf as Adhithyan's sister
- Manju Satheesh as Deepika's mother
- Cherthala Lalitha as Lakshmi's mother
- Suja Menon as TV Reporter
- Master Ilhan as young Adithyan
- Bindu Varappuzha
- Chethan Jayalal
- Directed by Lal Jose
- Produced by Lal Jose
- Written by Iqbal Kuttippuram
- Choreography by Sajna Najam. For this choreography, she won a Kerala State Award in 2014.
Release and reception
The film was enriched with huge cast and the cameo of superstar Nivin Pauly also made the film noticed in Kerala .Dalton L of Deccan Chronicle rated the film 3 in a scale of 5 and concluded his review saying: "Lal Jose’s nonlinear romantic love triangle may be somewhat idealistic in nature. However, it’s a compelling entertainer that extols the virtues of education, work, perseverance, and the struggle for goodness; and inspires one to compete with nothing but the highest order." P. Sanalkumar of Kerala Kaumudi called the film's script "weak" and was critical about the film's cinematography and acting by Anoop Menon. He concluded the review saying that the film is reserved only for those who are "meek and lowly in spirit".
Nicy V.P of IB Times praised the script and called the film a perfect, well crafted flick for Eid and rated the film 4/5.
The film was commercial success. The film collected US$34,767 from UK box office. The film was a superhit at the box office collecting around 15 crores at the Kerala Box Office Alone.The cameo role of Nivin Pauly made the film a huge kick start in Tamil Nadu box office.
The original score and songs were composed, arranged, conducted and programmed by Bijibal.
|"Manassin Thinkale"||Shahbaz Aman||3:49|
|"Mazhanila"||Soumya, Najim Arshad||3:58|
|"Megham"||Madhu Balakrishnan, Jyotsna||3:24|
|"Oru Kodi"||Ganesh Sundaram||3:07|
|"Bana Har Dil Ki"||Krishna Bongane||3:59|
- "'Vikramadityan' released on July 25 in 300 theatres worldwide. The movie ran for 103 days(TVM Devipriya theatre)". Sify. 23 June 2014. Retrieved 23 June 2014.
- "Dulquar Salman And Unni Mukundan In Vikramadithyan". www.filmibeat.com. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "Three friends in a tale". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "Vikramadithyan movie review: A perfect flick to spend your money on". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "വിക്രമാദിത്യൻ". Keralakaumudi.com. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "'Vikramadithyan' Review: Well Crafted Entertainer from Lal Jose". International Business Times. 25 July 2014. Retrieved 7 October 2014.
- "Kerala Box-Office July/Aug (up to Aug 17)". Sify. 19 August 2014.
- "United Kingdom and Ireland and Malta Yearly Box Office". Box Office Mojo. 30 December 2014.
- "'Vikramadithyan' 100 Days: Mammootty, Nivin Pauly, dulquer salmaan, Namitha Pramod Attend Celebration [PHOTOS]". International Business Times. 20 December 2014.
- "State Awards: Nazriya, Nivin, Sudev bag top honours" Archived 13 August 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Malayala Manorama. 10 August 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2015.