|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||16 February 1906|
|Died||23 September 1950(aged 44)|
|Rank||Kapitän zur See|
2nd U-boat Flotilla
|Battles/wars||Battle of the Atlantic|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Schütze was born in Flensburg, and started his naval career in the Reichsmarine aboard German torpedo boats in April 1925, before transferring to the new U-boat division ten years later in October 1935. There he commanded U-19 for two years, before being relieved to take destroyer training - before returning to the U-boat arm in command of U-11. When war broke out he commanded U-25, with which he sailed on three patrols, mainly in the Bay of Biscay and off the Portuguese coast.
In July 1940 he assumed command over the Type IXB U-103, and commanded for four patrols in North Atlantic and African waters. In December he received the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross for his successes. In August 1941 he retired from front service, taking up positions as Flottillenchef of 2nd U-boat Flotilla. In March 1943 he became the FdU Ausbildungsflottillen (Commander of the training flotillas in the Baltic Sea) in Flensburg-Kappeln, in which position he served until the end of the war. He died in Frankfurt am Main in 1950.
Summary of career
|Date||U-boat||Name of Ship||Nationality||Tonnage||Fate|
|31 October 1939||U-25||Baoulé||France||5,874||Sunk|
|17 January 1940||U-25||Enid||Norway||1,140||Sunk|
|17 January 1940||U-25||Polzella||United Kingdom||4,751||Sunk|
|18 January 1940||U-25||Pajala||Sweden||6,873||Sunk|
|22 January 1940||U-25||Songa||Norway||2,589||Sunk|
|3 February 1940||U-25||Armanistan||United Kingdom||6,805||Sunk|
|13 February 1940||U-25||Chastine Mærsk||Denmark||5,177||Sunk|
|6 October 1940||U-103||Nina Borthen||Norway||6,123||Sunk|
|9 October 1940||U-103||Delphin||Greece||3,816||Sunk|
|9 October 1940||U-103||Graigwen||United Kingdom||3,697||Damaged|
|9 October 1940||U-103||Zannes Gounaris||Greece||4,407||Sunk|
|13 October 1940||U-103||Nora||Estonia||1,186||Sunk|
|15 October 1940||U-103||Thislegarth||United Kingdom||4,747||Sunk|
|21 November 1940||U-103||Daydawn||United Kingdom||4,768||Sunk|
|21 November 1940||U-103||Victoria||Greece||6,085||Sunk|
|27 November 1940||U-103||Glenmoor||United Kingdom||4,393||Sunk|
|28 November 1940||U-103||Mount Athos||Greece||3,578||Sunk|
|28 November 1940||U-103||St. Elwyn||United Kingdom||4,940||Sunk|
|8 December 1940||U-103||Calabria||United Kingdom||5,186||Sunk|
|13 February 1941||U-103||Arthur F. Corwin||United Kingdom||10,516||Damaged|
|17 February 1941||U-103||Edwy R. Brown||United Kingdom||10,455||Sunk|
|18 February 1941||U-103||Seaforth||United Kingdom||5,459||Sunk|
|19 February 1941||U-103||Benjamin Franklin||Norway||7,034||Sunk|
|25 April 1941||U-103||Polyana||Norway||2,267||Sunk|
|1 May 1941||U-103||Samsø||United Kingdom||1,494||Sunk|
|3 May 1941||U-103||Wray Castle||United Kingdom||4,253||Sunk|
|6 May 1941||U-103||Dunkwa||United Kingdom||4,752||Sunk|
|6 May 1941||U-103||Surat||United Kingdom||5,529||Sunk|
|9 May 1941||U-103||City of Winchester||United Kingdom||7,120||Sunk|
|11 May 1941||U-103||City of Shanghai||United Kingdom||5,828||Sunk|
|22 May 1941||U-103||British Grenadier||United Kingdom||6,857||Sunk|
|25 May 1941||U-103||Radames||Egypt||3,575||Sunk|
|25 May 1941||U-103||Wangi Wangi||Netherlands||7,789||Sunk|
|8 June 1941||U-103||Elmdene||United Kingdom||4,853||Sunk|
|29 June 1941||U-103||Erani||Italy||6,619||Sunk|
- Spanisches Marineverdienstkreuz in Weiß (21 August 1939)
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (13 November 1939) & 1st Class (21 February 1940)
- Italienisches Kriegskreuz mit Schwertern (1 November 1941)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- War Merit Cross 2nd Class (30 January 1944) & 1st Class (1 September 1944)
|16 November 1925:||Seekadett (Midshipman)|
|1 April 1927:||Fähnrich zur See (Officer Cadet)|
|1 June 1928:||Oberfähnrich zur See (Senior Ensign)|
|1 October 1929:||Leutnant zur See (Second Lieutenant)|
|1 July 1931:||Oberleutnant zur See (First Lieutenant)|
|1 October 1935:||Kapitänleutnant (Captain Lieutenant)|
|1 February 1940:||Korvettenkapitän (Corvette Captain), effective as of 1 February 1940 with a rank age date on 1 August 1939|
|1 March 1943:||Fregattenkapitän (Frigate Captain)|
|1 March 1944:||Kapitän zur See (Captain at Sea)|
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by U-25". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Ships hit by U-103". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 99.
- Scherzer 2007, p. 688.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 391.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 55.
- Busch & Röll 2003, p. 98.
- Busch, Rainer; Röll, Hans-Joachim (2003). Der U-Boot-Krieg 1939–1945 — Die Ritterkreuzträger der U-Boot-Waffe von September 1939 bis Mai 1945 [The U-Boat War 1939–1945 — The Knight's Cross Bearers of the U-Boat Force from September 1939 to May 1945] (in German). Hamburg, Berlin, Bonn Germany: Verlag E.S. Mittler & Sohn. ISBN 978-3-8132-0515-2.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Militaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Helgason, Guðmundur. "Viktor Schütze". German U-boats of WWII - uboat.net. Retrieved 3 April 2007.
Korvettenkapitän Heinz Fischer
|Commander of 2nd U-boat Flotilla
August, 1941 – January, 1943
Fregattenkapitän Ernst Kals