|Speaker of the Seimas|
|Assumed office |
14 November 2016
|Preceded by||Loreta Graužinienė|
|Born||26 July 1958|
Ruteliai, Lithuanian SSR, Soviet Union
|Political party||Lithuanian Farmers and Greens Union|
Viktoras Pranckietis (born 26 July 1958) is a Lithuanian agronomist and politician. He is currently serving as the Speaker of the Seimas.
Early life and education
Pranckietis was born in Ruteliai village, near Tytuvėnai, in Kelmė District Municipality. He graduated from high school in Tytuvėnai in 1973 and continued studying there at an agricultural technical school, afterwards briefly working at a local farm as an agronomist. Between 1977 and 1982, Pranckietis studied at the Lithuanian Academy of Agriculture (now Aleksandras Stulginskis University), earning a degree in scientific agronomy. In 1998, he earned a doctoral degree in biomedicine.
Pranckietis spent most of his career working at the Lithuanian Academy of Agriculture, starting as a research assistant, and later working as the dean of the faculty of agronomy. He has written numerous scientific papers, books and textbooks, specializing in gardening and acted as a consultant on the subject for numerous specialized TV shows in Lithuania.
Pranckietis is a member of the Lithuanian Farmers and Greens Union. Since 2014, he has served as the deputy chairman of the party. He first unsuccessfully ran for a seat in the Lithuanian parliament, the Seimas, in 2012, but was elected to the council of Kaunas District Municipality in 2015. In the parliamentary elections in October 2016, Pranckietis was elected to the parliament in the single-member constituency of Raudondvaris. With Lithuanian Farmers and Greens Union being the largest party in the parliament, Pranckietis was elected as the Speaker of the Seimas in November 2016.
- "Viktoras Pranckietis: ryžtingas ir atlapaširdis agronomas, tapęs Seimo pirmininku". 15 November 2016. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Viktoras Pranckietis, lrs.lt
- Nekrošius, Arvydas. "LVŽS plečia komandą: R. Karbauskio pavaduotoju tapo ir sveikuolis Dainius Kepenis". krastietis.lt. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Karaliūnas, Arūnas. "Naujasis Seimo pirmininkas – agronomas, išgarsinęs margalapes aktinidijas". Lietuvos Rytas. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- Gudavičius, Stasys (14 November 2016). "Seimo pirmininku išrinktas Viktoras Pranckietis". Verslo Žinios. Retrieved 15 November 2016.
- Samoškaitė, Eglė (14 November 2016). "Seimo pirmininku tapo R. Karbauskio kandidatas V. Pranckietis". Delfi.lt. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
Media related to Viktoras Pranckietis at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a Lithuanian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|