This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wieland (in German)
Villány: the wine region
|• Total||22.02 km2 (8.50 sq mi)|
|• Density||114.30/km2 (296.0/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Area code||(+36) 72|
Villány (German: Wieland, Croatian: Viljan, Biljan, Vilanje, Serbian: Виљан, translit. Viljan) is a town in Baranya county, Hungary that is famous for its wine. Residents are Magyars, with minority of Serbs.
The name derives from the Hungarian word for lightning, villám. Formerly (centuries ago), the settlement was recorded under this form of name.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (April 2013)
After the Ottoman occupation until 1918, VILLÁNY was part of the Austrian monarchy, province of Hungary; in Transleithania after the compromise of 1867 in the Kingdom of Hungary. A post-office was opened end of 1867 (depending from Oedenburg Post Directorate).
The city is located in the encounter of three large geographical regions: the Great Hungarian Plain from the south, Baranya Hills from the north, and finally Villány Mountains border it from the west. On the plain, agricultural activity is common. The mountains and the hills provide a suitable place for wine producing.
The settlement's population, divided to age groups:
|0–5 years old||108|
|6–13 years old||204|
|14–17 years old||143|
|18–54 years old||1450|
|55–69 years old||328|
Twin towns — sister cities
Villány is twinned with:
- (in Croatian) "Folia onomastica croatica 14/2005". (462 KB) Živko Mandić: Hrvatska imena naseljenih mjesta u Madžarskoj,
- Handbook of Austria and Lombardy-Venetia Cancellations on the Postage Stamp Issues 1850-1864, by Edwin MUELLER, 1961.
- Die Poststempel auf der Freimarken-Ausgabe 1867 von Österreich und Ungarn, Edwin Mueller, 1930 (in German)
- "Villany locality 6 (Pleistocene of Hungary)". Paleobiology Database. Fossilworks. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Villány.|
- Official website in Hungarian
|This Baranya County-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|