Villa International Airport
|Villa International Airport
ވިލާ ބައިނަލްއަޤުވާމީ ވައިގެބަނދަރު
|Serves||Maamigili, Alif Dhaal Atoll, Maldives|
|Elevation AMSL||6 ft / 2 m|
The airport was developed by Maldivian business tycoon Qasim Ibrahim, who grew up in Maamigili, as a project to develop the infrastructure and facilities of the island. Developed and operated by his company, Villa Group, the airport also opened up direct transportation facilities to two of their flagship resorts located on adjacent islands.
The airport opened on October 1, 2011 as a domestic airport. In 2013, it was upgraded to international airport standards.
Villa Airport was downgraded to domestic status by the government for a period of 23 days in August 2014 over "security concerns".
In January 2015, Flyme started seaplane operations out of Villa Airport.
Airlines and destinations
|Flyme||Dharavandhoo, Fuvahmulah, Gan, Hanimaadhoo, Kaadedhdhoo, Kadhdhoo, Kooddoo, Malé|
- Airport information for Villa Airport Maamigili (IATA: VAM, ICAO: VRMV) at Great Circle Mapper.
- "List of Aerodromes from Maldives Civil Aviation Authority". Air Navigation & Aerodromes. Maldives Civil Aviation Authority. 2015. Retrieved Feb 15, 2015.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (VAM: Maamigili Island)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Jameel, Abdullah (Oct 1, 2011). "Maamigili airport opens with 'Flyme' airlines entering into service". Haveeru Online. Retrieved Feb 15, 2015.
- "Maamigili Airport returns to international status". Minivan News. Minivan News. Sep 17, 2014. Retrieved Feb 15, 2015.
- Ahmed, Zifleen (Jan 19, 2015). "FlyMe officially begins seaplane operations". Vaguthu. Vaguthu. Retrieved Feb 15, 2015.
Media related to Villa International Airport at Wikimedia Commons