|Type||medical logistics, developing world health
United States IRS exemption status: 501(c)(3)
|Mozambique , Malawi (primary), also operations in Benin, Democratic Republic of Congo. Nigeria, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia|
VillageReach is a registered 501(c)(3) working in the area of health care access in remote rural areas in developing countries. It is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, in the United States, with countries offices in Mozambique and Malawi, Africa. The stated mission is "Save lives and improve health by increasing access to quality healthcare for the most underserved communities."
VillageReach was founded in 2000 by Blaise Judja-Sato in Seattle, Washington, who got the idea while coordinating relief for flood victims in Mozambique. It began its activities in Mozambique in 2001.
VillageReach funding comes from a combination of government and multi-lateral funders. Funders include USAID, UNICEF, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Skoll Foundation, the Mulago Foundation, Vitol Foundation and others.
VillageReach was given a "Gold" rating by charity evaluator GiveWell, a US-based non-profit that rates charities. Until November 2011, it was the top recommended charity. GiveWell estimated that it costs between $400–$800 of donor money to save an additional life. GiveWell estimated that in 2010, it directed about 1.1 million USD in charitable donations to VillageReach.
In late November 2011, GiveWell updated its list of recommended charities. Although GiveWell continued to consider VillageReach an outstanding charity, VillageReach was removed from the list of top rated charities because GiveWell believed that VillageReach does not have enough room for more funding in the short term.
In March 2012, GiveWell published an update on VillageReach indicating that VillageReach's project had run into some unexpected troubles and would therefore cost more and proceed slower than previously anticipated, but applauding VillageReach for its continued commitment to transparency and sharing their data with GiveWell. John Beale of VillageReach wrote a guest post for GiveWell with his thoughts on this latest update.
In July 2012, GiveWell published a blog post revisiting their past review of VillageReach's pilot project. GiveWell staff came to the conclusion that in their original review of VillageReach, they had overlooked or underestimated various sources of uncertainty and that this may have led them to overstate their confidence in VillageReach's approach.
Media and blog coverage
- VillageReach was covered in an article in the US weekly Newsweek in 2005.
- The VillageReach mHealth program Chipatala Cha Pa Foni (Health Center by Phone) was covered by PBS NewsHour in 2013.
- GeekWire covered VillageReach in a 2016 article about the use of UAVs in healthcare delivery.
VillageReach and VillageReach employees have been recognized with several awards:
- VillageReach President Allen Wilcox was one of the 2014 Schwab Social Entrepreneurs of the Year.
- Margarida Matsihne was awarded the 2013 Gates Foundation Vaccine Innovation Award for her contributions to vaccine delivery in Mozambique.
- Allen Wilcox was awarded Microsoft Integral Fellow Award in 2012.
- VillageReach was a 2009 Tech Awards Laureate for health.
- VillageReach was a recipient of the 2006 Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship.
- "Where We Work: Overview". VillageReach. Retrieved 2012-06-18.
- Photo courtesy GiveWell.
- About VillageReach on the VillageReach website
- PricewaterhouseCoopers. "PwC Awarded USAID Contract to Support Advancements in Global Health". Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- Reingand, US patent expert Nadya (2016-05-06). "US Patent services – USPTO and PCT patent services on all types of patents". US PATENT EXPERT. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "OPP30874". Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- "VillageReach". Skoll Foundation. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "VillageReach". Mulago Foundation.
- "Supporters". VillageReach. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Charity Navigator - Rating for VillageReach". Charity Navigator. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Charity Navigator - Historical Ratings for VillageReach". Charity Navigator. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- GiveWell review of VillageReach
- GiveWell money moved and web traffic summary for 2010
- GiveWell's list of top rated charities
- GiveWell blog post describing their decision to have new top rated charities before December 2011
- "VillageReach update (March 26, 2012)". GiveWell. 2012-03-26.
- "VillageReach update (blog post)". GiveWell. 2012-03-26.
- Beale, John (2012-03-26). "Guest post from John Beale at VillageReach". GiveWell.
- Hassenfeld, Elie (2012-07-26). "Rethinking VillageReach's pilot project". GiveWell.
- Newsweek article on VillageReach
- "Maternal Health Hotline Helps Malawians Stay Connected". PBS NewsHour. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
- "How drones could transform healthcare delivery and save lives around the world". GeekWire. 2016-05-06. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
- "The Social Entrepreneurs of the Year 2014 | Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship". www.schwabfound.org. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
- Reports, Vaccine News. "Gates Foundation announces 2013 vaccination innovation award winner". vaccinenewsdaily.com. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
- "Allen Wilcox, President of VillageReach, wins Microsoft Integral Fellows Award". www.wghalliance.org. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
- "Past Laureates". The Tech. 2015-09-01. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
- "VillageReach Announces $3.69 Million in New Grants; Receives Skoll Award for Social Entrepreneurship". PRWeb. Retrieved 2016-05-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to VillageReach Gallery.|