Village of the Branch, New York
|Incorporated Village of the Branch|
|• Mayor||Mark Delaney|
|• Total||0.98 sq mi (2.54 km2)|
|• Land||0.95 sq mi (2.46 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2)|
|Elevation||62 ft (19 m)|
|• Density||1,826.32/sq mi (705.13/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0973410|
The village shares its post office and ZIP code with the nearby hamlet of Smithtown, which is also the Town seat of the Town of Smithtown.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), of which 0.9 square miles (2.3 km2) is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 3.09%, is water.
The village includes a 20-acre (8.1 ha) national historic district consisting of 15 houses, a church, and a library built between about 1700 and 1965. Located within the district are the Halliock Inn and First Presbyterian Church.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,895 people, 605 households, and 513 families residing in the village. The population density was 2,020.3 people per square mile (778.4/km2). There were 611 housing units at an average density of 651.4 per square mile (251.0/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 95.83% White, 0.16% African American, 0.05% Native American, 2.59% Asian, 0.84% from other races, and 0.53% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.01% of the population.
There were 605 households, out of which 37.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 76.4% were married couples living together, 6.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.2% were non-families. 13.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 5.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.92 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 23.7% under the age of 18, 5.6% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 27.1% from 45 to 64, and 16.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.9 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $83,036, and the median income for a family was $90,622. Males had a median income of $68,125 versus $38,125 for females. The per capita income for the village was $32,416. About 1.7% of families and 4.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.1% of those under age 18 and 10.5% of those age 65 or over.
- "Village of The Branch". Suffolk County Village Officials Association. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved September 20, 2022.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Village of the Branch village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on 2020-02-12. Retrieved 2012-12-21.
- Robert T. Englert (July 1986). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Branch Historic District". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved 2010-02-20. See also: "Accompanying 15 photos".
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
Media related to Village of the Branch, New York at Wikimedia Commons