Villanueva, New Mexico
|Villanueva, New Mexico|
Church at Villanueva, around 1915
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Elevation||5,869 ft (1,789 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (MST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|FIPS code||35-83130 |
|GNIS ID||915912 |
Villanueva is an Unincorporated community and census-designated place in San Miguel County, New Mexico, United States. It is located along the Pecos River and New Mexico State Highway 3. Villanueva has the ZIP code 87583. The 87583 ZIP Code Tabulation Area had a population of 267 at the 2000 census.
Villanueva, an old Spanish colonial village, was originally called La Cuesta (Spanish, hill or slope) because the village sits on top of a steeply sloping hill or cuesta in the Pecos Valley. Soon after the Spanish Government approved the San Miguel del Vado Land Grant in 1794, settlements were established along the banks of the Pecos River, such as Bernal, El Pueblo, Entrnosa, Guzano, La Cuesta, Las Mulas, Puertecito, San Jose, San Miguel.
In 1890, the community was renamed to Villanueva, for a prominent local family.
- Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) details for Villanueva, New Mexico; United States Geological Survey (USGS); November 13, 1980.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Geology of Villanueva area
- Settlements of the San Miguel Del Vado Land Grant; Official Scenic Historic Marker.
- "The Cibolero Trail: Across the Plains of Eastern New Mexico. http://www.over-land.com/st_cibolero.html
- The Villanueva, New Mexico story; F. Stanley; 24 pages; 1970.