This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• M.L.A||B. Ranganathan|
|Elevation||13 m (43 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
The real name of Villivakkam is Vilvaaranyam. An old Shiva temple here is built by Sage Agasthiyar and we can see lots of vilvam (bael) trees here, hence it got the name Vilva Aaranyam, which means the "jungle of bael trees". As days have gone the name changed into Villivakkam.
Villivakkam has a bus terminus which is located off Konnur High Road. Jawaharlal Nehru Road and Konnur High Road are the arterial roads encompassing Villivakkam. The construction of the long pending Villivakkam Subway was started on 4 December 2007 and was inaugurated on 19 June 2012. The 447.50-m-long subway built at a cost of ₹ 390 million, would also have a bicycle lane of 2.5 m width.
Chennai suburban railway station at Villivakkam is between the segment of Chennai Central and Arakkonam Junction, and 10 km from Central, there are suburban services to Chennai Central, Chennai Beach, Velachery, Ambattur, Avadi, Pattabiram, Tiruvallur, Arakkonam and Ponneri. The link from Chennai to Arakkonam junction is the oldest railway line in South India.
Villivakkam is the largest state assembly constituency in Tamil Nadu in terms of number of voters. The Villivakkam constituency covers an area from Annanagar in south to Madavaram in north and from Ayanavaram in east to Korattur in west.
- Shri Krishnaswamy Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Padma Sarangapani Matriculation School
- Padma Sarangapani Junior School
- Our Lady of Velankanni Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Singaram Pillai Girls' Higher Secondary School
- Singaram Pillay Higher Secondary School
- St. John's Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Government Girls Higher secondary School
- Kanakadurga Telugu Higher Secondary School
- John Williams Matriculation School
- Almonds Play School
- Kids International Playschool & Preschool
- AGS Cinemas
- Nathamuni Cinemas
In Villivakkam you have handful of healthcare centres:
- Cauvery Trust Hospital
- Faith Multispeciality Hospital
- Niranjana Hospital and Well Women Centre
- Life care DKJ Hospital
- WCF Hospital
- RK Hospital
- M.R.H 24 Hours Medical Health Care
- Sree Krishna ENT Care
- Swamy Eye Clinic
- Vigneshwara Eye Clinic
- Sri Sowmia Damodara Perumal Devasthanam
- Arulmigu Sri Agatheeswarar Temple
- Arulmigu Sri Ayyappa Temple
- Shirdi Sai Baba Temple
- Sri Devi Angalaparameshwari Amman temple
- Kalyana Subramania Swamy Temple
- Karumari Amman Temple
- Varasakthi Vinayagar Temple
- Elangaliamman Temple
- Shri Kamatchi Amman Kovil
- Sri Baliamman Temple
- Masjid-E Rahmaniah
- Anjuman E Mohammedi Masjid
- Masjid-e-Maqthab Nooriyah
- Blessing Centre AG Church
- Velankanni Madha Church
- E.C.I. Villivakkam Church
- Chennai Telugu Baptist Church
- St Stephens Church
- Philadelphia Fellowship Church
Villivakkam market is one of the famous market around the neighborhood of Villivakkam which located near Villivakkam Railway Station. The market is running from the British period with the expansion of over 12000 sq.ft. It is one of the oldest market in Chennai.
In Villivakkam they issue a weekly local newsletter named "Villivakkam Times". In that newsletter you can see the news which occurs around the locality.
- "Tamil Nadu infra gets better with new bridges, bypass, subway". The Asian Age. Chennai: Deccan Chronicle. 20 June 2012. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Villivakkam.|