Vilufushi (Thaa Atoll)
|Administrative atoll||Thaa Atoll|
|Distance to Malé||186.09 km (115.63 mi)|
|• Length||0.18766 km (0.11661 mi)|
|• Width||0.250 km (0.155 mi)|
|• Total||1,103 (including foreigners)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:00 (MST)|
Vilufushi (Dhivehi: ވިލުފުށި) is an inhabited island in the Indian Ocean.
The island was very highly impacted by the 2004 tsunami, and the entire population was displaced to other islands. The government then took the opportunity to expand the area of the island with a land reclamation scheme and the population was returned to the island in 2009. With the help of foreign aid, new facilities were built, and fundamental needs provided for residents.
The island is 186.09 km (116 mi; 100 nmi) south of the country's capital, Malé. Vilufushi belongs to the North Central province of the Maldives, according to government documents. It was also named Thaa Atoll, an administrative constituency.
|2006-2014: Census populations|
Vilufushi is known for the various kinds of fishing available. Facilities have been rebuilt with the help of foreign aid, following the 2004 tsunami.
- "Table PP5: Resident Population by sex, nationality and locality (administrative islands), 2014" (PDF). Population and Households Census 2014. National Bureau of Statistics. p. 35. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Tsunami Impact Assessment 2005" (PDF). National Bureau of Statistics. xi. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Operation South East Asia Tsunami Assist" (PDF). Medical Journal of Australia. p. 341. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Detailed Island Risk Assessment in Maldives" (PDF). UNDP. August 2009. p. 1. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Environmental monitoring for the reconstruction of Vilufushi, maldives" (PDF). Terra et Aqua. December 2007. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Maldives - 4 Years after the tsunami" (PDF). Department of National Planning. July 2009. p. 4. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Maldives island reclaimed". International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC). 12 December 2006. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Coordinate Distance Calculator". Boulter.com. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
- "Table 3.3: Total Maldivian Population by Islands" (PDF). National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
|This Maldives location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|