|MP of Rajya Sabha for Uttar Pradesh|
3 April 2012 – 2 April 2018
|Succeeded by||Kanta Kardam, BJP|
|Founder-President of Bajrang Dal|
|Born||11 November 1954|
Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Spouse(s)||Ram Bethi (deceased)|
|Alma mater||Kanpur University|
Vinay Katiyar (born 11 November 1954) is the founder-president of Bajrang Dal, the youth wing of the Hindu nationalist organisation Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) in India. He has served as a National General Secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), and as a Member of Parliament in both the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha.
Life and career
Katiyar started his political journey with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP), the student wing of the Sangh Parivar. He was the organizing secretary of ABVP's Uttar Pradesh state unit from 1970 to 1974, and the convener of the Jayaprakash Narayan's Bihar Movement in 1974. He became a pracharak (full-time worker) of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) in 1980. He founded the Hindu Jagran Manch in 1982. In 1984, he was chosen to start the new youth organisation Bajrang Dal to support the Ram Janmabhoomi movement.
Katiyar was elected to the Lok Sabha from the Faizabad (Ayodhya) constituency to the 10th, 11th and 13th Lok Sabha in 1991, 1996 and 1999, and to the Rajya Sabha as a representative of Uttar Pradesh in 2012.
In a 2018 interview with ANI, Katiyar said that there was no need for Muslims to remain in India in the wake of its Partition, and that Muslims in India should, instead, move to Pakistan or Bangladesh. These views were shared after his comments about the Taj Mahal, claiming that the monument was a Hindu temple in the period of Aurangzeb's rule (despite the fact that the mausoleum was constructed by Shah Jahan), and implied that it would soon be returned to its 'original state' through its destruction.
- "Detailed profile of Members of Parliament : Shri Vinay Katiyar". Government of India. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "No cake walk for Vinay Katiyar". The Hindu. 4 May 2004.
- Jaffrelot, Christophe (1996). The Hindu Nationalist Movement and Indian Politics. C. Hurst & Co. Publishers. p. 363. ISBN 978-1850653011.
- Staff, The Wire. "BJP's Vinay Katiyar Continues His Hate-Mongering, Says Muslims Should Leave India - The Wire". thewire.in. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Muslims should not stay in India: BJP MP Vinay Katiyar". The Indian Express. 7 February 2018. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Hate Speech From BJP's Vinay Katiyar: "Why Do Muslims Live In India?"". NDTV.com. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- Staff, Scroll. "Taj Mahal will soon become 'Tej Mandir', says BJP MP Vinay Katiyar". Scroll.in. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- Staff, The Wire. "BJP MP Charged With Demolishing Babri Masjid Now Wants Taj Mahal Converted Into 'Tej Mandir' - The Wire". thewire.in. Retrieved 20 February 2018.