|Born||10 January 1961|
|Alma mater||St. Xavier's College, Kolkata
University of Calcutta
|Occupation||Chairman of Enso Group|
After completing early part of his schooling from Rajasthan, he moved to Kolkata for high school. He then went on to study commerce from St. Xavier's College, Kolkata, graduated in 1981 and wanted to pursue Chartered Accountancy like his father, but left it midway to pursue an entrepreneurial career with marble mining in Kankroli near Udaipur in Rajasthan.
Maloo left Kolkata for New Delhi in 1990 to co-found Himachal Futuristic Communications Limited (HFCL) with his uncle and left Kolkata with a telecom equipments manufacturing plant in Solan in Himachal Pradesh in North India. This made them the first private sector company to enter into telecom sector in India. HFCL introduced new technologies in the Asian market and pioneered the telecom sector during that era. Their $25 billion (₹ 850 billion) bid for basic services license in India created the momentum for telecom in the country. During technology boom, HFCL peaked at an approximately $4 billion market cap making him one of the top 10 richest Indians. In 2005, the partners split, uncle keeping the telecom business as Maloo wanted to expand into different sectors, seeing present sector as fully saturated.
Enso Group is a growing conglomerate which is privately held for most part. It started with oil & gas as primary focus, in 2005, but has made slow and steady progress in few other industries besides energy. The group has expanded horizontally with mining opportunities of precious metals, ferrous and non-ferrous metals and diamonds in Africa. Totally, Enso is present in over 10 countries.
Enso Group is working on Oil & Gas projects in different parts of the world.
Business verticals of Enso Group :
- Oil & Gas
- Security & Surveillance
- Technology/Automation Product(s)
- Renewable Energy
Enso Foundation is a non-profit charitable trust under Enso Group with a mandate for India & Africa.Wife Vineeta Maloo and son Vaibhav Maloo are on board of this trust. The group is also affiliated with Tour De India.
HFCL under Maloo was probed for circular trading in 2001 but was exonerated by a committee of SEBI probing the issue.
Maloo is Hindu and Jain by religion, and a vegetarian. He is married to Vineeta who is an economics graduate and a homemaker. His father, Sh.Bane Chand Maloo, a Chartered Accountant was a senior executive in one of India's leading business houses and is a Hindi poet today with two books to his name – Udgar and Bhavodgar.
- Former Executive Chairman, Himachal Futuristics Communications Limited ( HFCL )
- "Shri Vinay Maloo". Jainsamaj.org. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Unnikrishnan, Rajesh (8 December 2008). "Maloo's back with oil, core focus". The Economic Times. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- "Innovators top India's billionaire chart". Indian Express. September 1, 1999.
- Seema Singh (16 September 2013). "Medtech Giants Philips and GE Fight Over India". Forbes India Magazine. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "GE Technology powers Govt of Maharashtra's PPP initiative in Healthcare". India Infoline News. 17 May 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2014.
- "Maloo's back with oil, core focus". The Times of India. 8 December 2008.
- "GE, Ensocare partner with Maharashtra Government for diagnostic facilities". Ensogroup. 17 May 2013.
- "GE, Ensocare partner with Maharashtra Government for diagnostic facilities". The Times of India. 17 May 2013.
- "Inian investor vinay maloo invests in healthcare business". eHealth. 17 May 2013.
- Raelene Kambli (14 August 2013). "Ensocare signs PPP agreement with Govt of Punjab". Financial Express.
- Ensogroup (14 August 2013). "Vinay Maloo invests in Tania Group". Financial Express.
- Wall Street Journal (14 August 2013). "GE Venture to Upgrade Hospital Equipment in India State". Wall Street Journal.