Basciano is nicknamed "Vinny Gorgeous," due to owning a Bronx beauty salon called "Hello Gorgeous," and for his fastidious grooming, hairstyle and looks. In 2011, reporters noted that despite being imprisoned in solitary confinement the past four years, Basciano still looked perfectly groomed in the courtroom.
On May 6, 2006, Basciano was convicted in a racketeering trial for running illegal gambling and attempted murder. However, due to a hung jury, Basciano was not convicted of the 2001 murder of Frank Santoro.
After Basciano's first murder trial, prosecutors again indicted him on the Santoro murder. On August 1, 2007, Basciano was convicted of murdering Santoro, who tried to kidnap Basciano's son, and was subsequently sentenced to life imprisonment.
On May 16, 2011, Basciano was convicted of ordering the 2004 murder of Randolph "Randy" Pizzolo, On June 1, 2011, a jury rejected a prosecution request for the death penalty and instead sentenced Basciano to life in federal prison. Basciano was initially serving his life sentence at the supermax prison ADX Florence, but was transferred to the nearby United States Penitentiary, Florence High in Florence, Colorado for a time and is currently incarcerated at USP Big Sandy.
- "Vincent J. Basciano". New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement exclusion list. State of New Jersey. Retrieved April 6, 2011.
- John Marzulli (2004-05-26). "Bonannos' new boss is salon owner, trial is told". New York Daily News. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- Marzulli, John (2011-04-26). "It's style first for Vinny Gorgeous: Basciano KOs headphones as secret mob tapes roll in court". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- William K. Rashbaum (2006-05-10). "Former Salon Owner Is Convicted of Racketeering, but Not Murder". The New York Times. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- John Marzulli (2006-05-11). "More trials for Basciano". New York Daily News. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- John Marzulli (2007-08-01). "Pretty quickly, Gorgeous found guilty in '01 slay". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "'Vinny Gorgeous' guilty of murder". UPI.com. United Press International. 2007-08-01. Retrieved March 22, 2011.
- John Marzulli (2010-01-18). "Bonanno crime boss Vincent Basciano sentenced to life in prison". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- Maddux, Mitchel (2011-05-16). "Bonanno crime family boss Vincent 'Vinny Gorgeous' Basciano found guilty in gangland hit". New York Post. Retrieved May 16, 2011.
- Tom Hays (2011-06-02). "NYC Mobster Vinny Gorgeous Avoids Death Sentence". ABCnews.com. Associated Press. Retrieved June 2, 2011.
- Anahad O'Connor (2001-06-01). "For Mobster, a Life Term, Not His First, Offers Relief". New York Times.com. The New York Times. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- Federal Bureau of Prisons
- Find an inmate - Federal Bureau of Prison
|Bonanno crime family