Kartheiser at the Paley Center in 2014
|Born||Vincent Paul Kartheiser
May 5, 1979
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
|Spouse(s)||Alexis Bledel (m. 2014)|
Kartheiser was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the son of Janet Marie (née Gruyé), who ran a nursery, and James Ralph Kartheiser, who sold construction equipment. The youngest of six children, he has four sisters, Andrea, Colette, Elise and Theresa, and a brother, Nathan. Kartheiser attended Apple Valley High School in Apple Valley, MN. He is of German, and to an extent Polish, Finnish, Swedish and Luxembourgish ancestry.
Some of Kartheiser’s first acting experiences were on stage of Children's Theatre Company in Minneapolis, including roles in Pippi Longstocking, Our Town, Dr. Seuss’ The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins, and Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.
He made his screen debut with a bit role in the 1993 film Untamed Heart. Kartheiser found himself cast in mostly family fare, including The Indian in the Cupboard (1995) and a starring role in the film Alaska (1996). The film led to Kartheiser getting the lead role in Masterminds the following year.
He next portrayed Bobby, a drug-addicted, homeless street urchin in Larry Clark's Another Day in Paradise. He had two explicit sex scenes with Natasha Gregson, one of which was cut from the film in order to avoid an NC-17 rating. The film earned the young actor significant accolades, and he went on to appear in Strike! (later retitled All I Wanna Do) and Crime and Punishment in Suburbia.
Screened at the 2000 Sundance Film Festival, Crime and Punishment in Suburbia was a moody, updated take on Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment, set in a modern high school. Kartheiser co-starred on the supernatural drama series Angel in 2002, playing Connor, the son of the titular character Angel, appearing in a total of 28 episodes. Returning to film work, Kartheiser starred in the well-received coming-of-age drama Dandelion, which was shown at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival.
Kartheiser played the role of ambitious young ad man Pete Campbell in the AMC television series Mad Men (2007–2015). Along with the rest of the show's cast, Kartheiser won the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series in 2009 and 2010.
Kartheiser's short film, Fruit of Labor, made its Orange County debut at the Newport Beach Film Festival in April 2013. In the summer of 2013, he returned to his theatrical roots in Minneapolis to portray Mr. Darcy in an adaptation of Pride and Prejudice at the Guthrie Theater.
Kartheiser dated The Hairy Bird co-star, Rachael Leigh Cook, for four months in 1998. He began dating his Mad Men co-star Alexis Bledel in mid-2012. He and Bledel announced their engagement in March 2013, and were married in California in June 2014. They have one son. The couple sold their Brooklyn duplex penthouse for $1.32 million in May 2016.
|1993||Untamed Heart||Orphan Boy|
|1994||Little Big League||James|
|1994||Heaven Sent||Eddie Chandler|
|1995||Indian in the Cupboard, TheThe Indian in the Cupboard||Gillon|
|1998||Another Day in Paradise||Bobbie|
|1998||Hairy Bird, TheThe Hairy Bird||Snake – Flat Critter|
|2000||Crime and Punishment in Suburbia||Vincent|
|2000||Ricky 6||Ricky Cowen|
|2001||Unsaid, TheThe Unsaid||Thomas Caffey|
|2005||Shakespeare's Sonnets||Sebastian||Short film|
|2006||Alpha Dog||Pick Giaimo|
|2006||Waning Moon||Michael||Short film|
|2007||Killing Zelda Sparks||Craig Blackshear|
|2011||Rango||Ezekiel / Lasso Rodent||Voices|
|2011||In Time||Philippe Weis|
|2011||Fruit of Labor||Alfred||Short film|
|2012||Cussing in the Workplace||Jack||Short film|
|2014||Red Knot||Peter Harrison|
|2015||Winter Light||Samuel||Short film|
|2015||Day Out of Days||Tark|
|2016||A Kind of Murder||Detective Lawrence Corby|
|2017||Most Hated Woman in America||Post-production|
|2017||My Friend Dahmer||Post-production|
|1994||Sweet Justice||Nicholas||Episode: "Story of My Life"|
|1999||ER||Jesse Keenan||Episode: "Truth & Consequences"|
|2007–2015||Mad Men||Pete Campbell||87 episodes|
|2010||American Experience||Thomas Nickerson (voice)||Episode: "Into the Deep: America, Whaling, & the World"|
|2010||Money||Fielding Goodney||2 episodes|
|2011||Cleveland Show, TheThe Cleveland Show||(voice)||Episode: "Like a Boss"|
|2013||Axe Cop||Bat Warthog Man (voice)||2 episodes|
|2013||High School USA!||Marsh Merriwether (voice)||12 episodes|
|2015||Inside Amy Schumer||Juror #4||Episode: "12 Angry Men Inside Amy Schumer"|
|2015||Saints & Strangers||William Bradford||2 episodes|
|2016||Casual||Jordan Anderson||7 episodes|
|2011||L.A. Noire||Walter Clemens (voice)|
- "Vincent Kartheiser Biography". TV Guide.
- "Vincent Kartheiser Tampa Convention 2006". YouTube. Archived from the original on December 7, 2015.
- Garrahan, Matthew (April 12, 2013). "Vincent Kartheiser: As the sixth season of 'Mad Men' gets under way, the actor describes what it's like to play Pete Campbell, the most odious man on television". FT Magazine. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "Cast Bio: Vincent Kartheiser". AMC. Archived from the original on December 22, 2008.
- "The Truth About Vincent Kartheiser". BlackBook. June 20, 2013.
- "Children's Theatre Company -Curtain Call Ball". Childrenstheatre.org. 2011-09-10. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- "Vincent Kartheiser". IMDb. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Streep, Penn Win Top SAG Awards For Film"
- of Labor Newport Beach Film Festival 2013 Screenings”
- Gay, Verne (2012-06-20). "Report: Alexis Bledel, Vincent Kartheiser an item". Newsday.com. Retrieved 2012-06-24.
- Ravitz, Justin (2013-03-20). "Alexis Bledel, Vincent Kartheiser Engaged! Mad Men Costars to Marry". Us Weekly. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- Loinaz, Alexis (August 6, 2014). "Vincent Kartheiser and Alexis Bledel Are Married!". People. Retrieved 2014-08-06.
- "Vincent Kartheiser and Alexis Bledel Have a Son – Moms & Babies – Celebrity Babies and Kids - Moms & Babies - People.com". PEOPLE.com. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- "Alexis Bledel Is a Mom! Gilmore Girls Welcomes Baby With Husband Vincent Kartheiser - E! News". E! Online. 18 May 2016. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- Mark David. "Vincent Kartheiser and Alexis Bledel Sell Duplex Penthouse in Brooklyn - Variety". Variety. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- Adams, Tim (2010-04-25). "Vincent Kartheiser: 'I definitely do psychopathic. I don't try to, but it just sneaks out'". The Observer. Retrieved 2013-11-17.