Born in Armadale, Western Australia, the youngest of eight children of migrant Croatian parents, he graduated from the University of Western Australia in geology and psychology. He was a CSIRO researcher and teacher before beginning a career as a writer, lecturer and film-maker. He joined the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union (RAOU) in 1942 and served as either its Branch Secretary or State Representative for Western Australia 1943-1959. In 1946 he became a life member of the Wildlife Preservation Society of Australia and was for many years its President.
Vincent Serventy was a younger brother of the eminent Australian ornithologist Dom Serventy.
Serventy wrote numerous articles on natural history and conservation. Some of his books are:
- The Archipelago of the Recherche. Part 2: Birds (AGS Report No.1. Australian Geographical Society: Melbourne, 1952)
- The Australian Nature Trail (Georgian House: Melbourne, 1965)
- A Continent in Danger (Survival Books. A Survival Special. Andre Deutsch: London, 1966)
- Nature Walkabout (Reed: Artarmon, 1969)
- Southern Walkabout (Reed: Artarmon, 1969)
- Around the Bush with Vincent Serventy (ABC: Sydney, 1970)
- Dryandra. The story of an Australian forest (Reed: Sydney, 1970)
- The Handbook of Australian Sea-birds (Reed: Sydney, 1971) (with Dominic Serventy and John Warham)
- Australia’s World Heritage Sites (1985)
- The Desert Sea. The Miracle of Lake Eyre in Flood (Macmillan Australia: Melbourne, 1985)
- Flight of the Shearwater (Kangaroo Press: Kenthurst, 1996)
- An Australian Life. Memoirs of a naturalist, conservationist, traveller and writer (Fremantle Arts Centre Press: South Fremantle, 1999)
- Stephens (2007)
- "Search Australian Honours". It's an honour. Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- Robin, Libby. (2001). The Flight of the Emu: a hundred years of Australian ornithology 1901-2001. Carlton, Vic. Melbourne University Press. ISBN 0-522-84987-3
- Serventy, Vincent N. (1999). An Australian Life. Memoirs of a naturalist, conservationist, traveller and writer. Fremantle Arts Centre Press: South Fremantle. ISBN 1-86368-232-5
- Stephens, Tony (2007). "Green before it was fashionable: Vincent Serventy, 1916-2007" in The Sydney Morning Herald, 2007-09-12, p. 20 
|This article about an Australian ornithologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|