Viineet Kumar is an Indian film actor and writer. After few series of performances in his early career including Lalbaug Parel, he got noticed for his role in films like Bombay Talkies and Gangs of Wasseypur. His role in Ugly and the portrayal of the character Milan Shukla in the movie Daas Dev won him appreciation and established him as a critically acclaimed actor. He made his Bollywood Debut as Lead Actor with the 2018 Anurag Kashyap Film Mukkabaaz.
Kumar is from Varanasi. He was interested in sports and played Basketball on a National level. His father is a mathematician. Though Vineet wanted to join the National School of Drama, he could not pursue the same due to parental pressure and social norms. He is CPMT qualified and topper from his Medical College. He is a licensed medical practitioner with an MD (Doctor of Medicine) in Ayurveda from Shri Ayurveda mahavidyalaya , Nagpur ,Maharashtra.
Kumar came to Mumbai to participate in Superstars Talent Hunt. After winning the competition, Actor-Director Mahesh Manjrekar, who was one of the Judges gave him a role in the Sanjay Dutt-starrer film Pitaah. Unfortunately, the film flopped and Singh faced trouble getting further roles. He then worked as an Associate/Assistant Director for Mahesh Manjrekar in films like Viruddh (2005) and Deh. In 2007, Singh left Direction to focus solely on acting. After doing a few Bhojpuri serials and insignificant roles in films like Gori Tere Pyaar Mein and Isaaq, he got his break in the Marathi bilingual City of Gold (2010). It was after this he met the ace director Anurag Kashyap and was cast for the role of Danish Khan in Gangs of Wasseypur. Even amongst actors like Manoj Bajpai, Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Piyush Mishra; Vineet was noticed. His excellent portrayal of Danish Khan bagged him challenging roles in movies like Ugly and Bombay Talkies (2013). His role in Ugly got him his first Screen nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He also appeared in Birla Sunlife and 7up Nimbooz commercials. Vineet was seen opposite Raima Sen in the 2016 Film Bollywood Diaries, directed by K.D. Satyam. In the 2018 Movie Mukkabaaz, the actor played the role of a boxer. The actor trained hard for two years to prepare himself as the protagonist of this Anurag Kashyap film. Vineet also won huge appreciation for his role of Milan Shukla in the movie Daas Dev, directed by Sudhir Mishra. Vineet's upcoming films are Sudhir Mishra's Daas Dev (2018) and Akshay Kumar-starrer Gold (2018). In 2018, Singh was signed as the main lead with Prithvi Hatte in Adhar directed by Suman Ghosh and produced by Manish Mundra's Drishyam Films which deals with the government's controversial Aadhaar program.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2019||Bard of Blood||Veer Singh||Web series|
|2019||Saand Ki Aankh||Filming|
|2018||Daas Dev||Milan Shukla|
|2018||Mukkabaaz||Shravan Singh||Screened at the 2017 Toronto International Film Festival and the 2017 Mumbai Film Festival. |
Nominated—Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor
|2013||Ugly||Chaitanya||2013 Cannes Film Festival (Director's Fortnight.)|
|2013||Bombay Talkies||Vijay||Segment Murabba Cannes Film Festival special screening.|
|2013||Shorts||Lallan||Segment Shor South Asian International Film Festival Winner. IFFLA (Grand Jury Award-Best Short)|
|2013||Gori Tere Pyaar Mein|
|2012||Upanishad Ganga||TV Series|
|2012||Gangs of Wasseypur – Part 1||Danish Khan||2012 Cannes Film Festival (Director's Fortnight)|
|2012||Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 2||Danish Khan||2012 Cannes Film Festival (Director's Fortnight)|
|2010||City of Gold||Mohan|
|2009||Me Shivajiraje Bhosale Boltoy||Taxi Driver||Marathi Film|
|2007||Chain Kulii Ki Main Kulii||Sohail|
- "Mukkabaaz Trailer: Vineet Kumar Singh is the Mike Tyson of Uttar Pradesh in this Anurag Kashyap film".
- Singh, Suhani. "Actor Vineet Kumar Singh takes a shot at Bollywood fame with Anurag Kashyap flick". India Today.
- IANS. "Interview". Times Of India. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Pareira, Priyanka. "Struggler by Choice". IndianExpress.
- Singh, Anvita. "Vineet Kumar Singh: Before Mukkabaaz, five movies where the actor proved his mettle". IndianExpress.
- "18 years of struggle was more painful than training for Mukkabaaz: Vineet Kumar Singh".
- "Vineet Kumar Singh underwent extensive training for Mukkabaaz".
- Mumbai, PTI. "Mukkabaaz actor Vineet Kumar Singh talks about his Bollywood struggle". Indian Express.
- "Vineet Kumar Singh recalls struggling years".
- Joshi, Namrata. "After 17 years of struggle, Vineet Kumar lands the lead role in 'Mukkabaaz'". The Hindu.
- Srivastava, Abhishek. "Vineet Kumar Singh on what it took to execute Anurag Kashyap's gritty sports drama". First Post.
- Kaushal, Sweta. "Vineet Kumar: My friends were opening Hospitals and I was eating less to afford train tickets". Hindustan Times.
- Shapiro, Dev. "SHORTS: Interview with Vineet Kumar Singh". Selig Film News.
- Shetty, Shakti. "There is no such thing as a camp: Vineet Kumar Singh". Midday.
- Quint, Entertainment (27 December 2014). "Before 'Mukkabaaz', Here's Cheering for Vineet Singh, the Actor". The Quint.
- "Vineet Kumar Singh underwent extensive training for 'Mukkabaaz'".
- "Not scared of any Boxer Now - Actor Vineet Kumar Singh".
- Bains, Pahull (31 October 2017). "The sweet science of 'Mukkabaaz'". Livemint.
- Iranii, Shaheen. "Exclusive: Vineet Kumar Singh speaks about his struggles, Mukkabaaz and Gold". Deccan Chronicle.
- Bureau, FPJ. "Vineet Kumar Singh has his eyes set on 'Gold'". Freepress Journal.
- "Mukkabaaz actor Vineet Kumar Singh on his upcoming film: It will have an interesting take on Aadhar card". First Post. 29 June 2018. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (26 February 2019). "Vineet Singh joins the cast of #SaandKiAankh... Stars Taapsee Pannu, Bhumi Pednekar and Prakash Jha... Directed by Tushar Hiranandani... Produced by Reliance Entertainment, Anurag Kashyap and Nidhi Parmar. t.co/dAmX3epNJA" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Straight from the sets... Taapsee Pannu and Bhumi Pednekar in #SaandKiAankh... Directed by Tushar Hiranandani... Produced by Reliance Entertainment, Anurag Kashyap and Nidhi Parmar". Twitter.com. Retrieved 26 February 2019.
- "Anurag Kashyap's 'Mukkabaaz' to open Jio MAMI Mumbai Film Fest". The Statesman. 8 September 2017.