Vinegar Bend, Alabama
|Vinegar Bend, Alabama|
|• Total||9.473 sq mi (24.53 km2)|
|• Land||9.453 sq mi (24.48 km2)|
|• Water||0.020 sq mi (0.05 km2)|
|Elevation||161 ft (49 m)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||153854|
Vinegar Bend is an unincorporated census-designated place in Washington County, Alabama, United States. Vinegar Bend is 15 miles (24 km) south-southwest of Chatom. As of the 2010 census, its population was 192. Vinegar Bend had a post office with ZIP code 36584 until it was closed July 1, 2010. When the bridge on the "main" road into Vinegar Bend was closed for repairs, the USPS closed the post office for good.
Wilmer "Vinegar Bend" Mizell, Major League Baseball pitcher and U.S. Congressman from North Carolina, was born across the state line in Mississippi, but the family's residence was on the Vinegar Bend mail route, therefore Vinegar Bend was recorded as his birthplace and he was nicknamed for the community.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Vinegar Bend, Alabama
- ZIP Code Lookup
- Gallant, Frank K. (2012). A Place Called Peculiar: Stories about Unusual American Place-Names. Courier Dover Publications. p. 2.
- Thompson, George E. (2009). You Live Where?: Interesting and Unusual Facts about where We Live. iUniverse. p. 3.
- "Mizell, Wilmer David (Vinegar Bend)". Biographic Directory of the United States Congress. United States Congress. Retrieved 28 December 2010.
|This Alabama state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|